JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
2019 for overall quality and maturity. But that 2017 team was on fire.

I reckon teh 2019 mob would outperform 2017 overall. Especially big Tom Lunch would make a huge difference.

Towner would be torn apart by Grimes.
See that is the decider for me...2017 WE WERE ON FIRE!!!...Dusty was a out-of-control-Bushfire! Towna was on fire! And we had Rance as the Backline!
2019 has better personnel...Stacky, Pickett, Cut Lunch but took a while to get rolling...
Close but 2017 for me..

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
2019 for overall quality and maturity. But that 2017 team was on fire.

I reckon teh 2019 mob would outperform 2017 overall. Especially big Tom Lunch would make a huge difference.

Towner would be torn apart by Grimes.
When Grimes gets back from behind buried 1m into the MCG turf by a Townsend tackle...

When Grimes gets back from behind buried 1m into the MCG turf by a Townsend tackle...

Then Grimes gets up and tears Towna another brand new red hot one. Grimes can virtually break his leg and still half the contest. I love Towna, but 2019 Grimes is a God. He's tough as you can be, and would beat Towna defensively and roll off and attack like a rebounding machine.

See that is the decider for me...2017 WE WERE ON FIRE!!!...Dusty was a out-of-control-Bushfire! Towna was on fire! And we had Rance as the Backline!
2019 has better personnel...Stacky, Pickett, Cut Lunch but took a while to get rolling...
Close but 2017 for me..

2019 we had a smarter and more versatile Dusty. In fact I'll take Grimes off Towna and put him on Dusty - clash of the titans!! That match up would worth the price of admission alone.

I reckon our 2019 midfield was better than 2017. Soldo and Nank would rip Nank apart. The 2 Cotch's would hit together and cause the world to shudder. 2019 Meatball much better than 2017 Meatball. And I reckon Lynch made more of a difference to our offense than Rance made to our defense. That is an insane comment I know. Rance is the GOAT. Lynch isn't the GOAT. But he made our game work so much better.

Overall I'd love to see the game. It'd be awesome to see.

Ralll

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Rance would be in trouble vs Jack or Lynch, both high marking forwards which were Rance's weakness imo.

Overall I have to agree with the majority that 2019 is a more rounded, mature and skillful team, but 2017 aren't without a hope on a good day if they got some momentum.
26-0 is a bit over the top on the votes, not even JAKLAUGHING seems to have voted '17 after some staunch debating. :p

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Pretty simple question. If the 2017 premiership side were to face off against the 2019 premiership side which team would win?

2017 Team v 2019 Team

B: Ellis Rance Grimes
F: Castagna Lynch Riewoldt

HB: Houli Astbury Vlastuin
HF: Rioli Cotchin Lambert

C: McIntosh Cotchin Townsend
C: Ellis Prestia Caddy

HF: Lambert Martin Caddy
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short

F: Butler Riewoldt Rioli
B: Astbury Broad Grimes

R: Nankervis Prestia Grigg
R: Nankervis Edwards Martin

INT: Edwards Graham Broad Castagna
INT: Bolton Soldo Baker Pickett

Teams are named as they were selected on the Thursday before the game which creates some interesting initial match ups.
Worst 2 premierships sides in all my days.
Ellis WTF? Dual premiership chicken. Two timer Rance & Grimes; better divers than Greg Louganis; Lynch did nothing but upset apple carts; overpaid thug; George: 10 behinds and 50 OOFs; Rioli MIA. Missing In Action; Cotchin too old;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
This one is tight,

2019 was a better overall team, with less chinks, skills better and team work better.
Tom Lynch vs Rance.....probably cancelled each other out but I think having Lynch in vs having Rance out worked out better for our team ever so slightly.

2017 we had nearly most of what we have now (2019) but with a bit more tenacity, so will negate the above a little bit.

it’s like heavyweight bout with ALI.(2019) vs Mike Tyson. (2017).
id back ALI.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Ellis WTF? Dual premiership chicken. Two timer Rance & Grimes; better divers than Greg Louganis; Lynch did nothing but upset apple carts; overpaid thug; George: 10 behinds and 50 OOFs; Rioli MIA. Missing In Action; Cotchin too old;
I agree to all😂 Edit, ok l really agree to some, for real.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
been mulling this one over for a few days , I initially went for the 2019 side

the guys that were in both will have more maturity and experience in their 2019 version

but we might under estimate their 2017 versions youth , pace , hunger and feeding off the raw/roar power of the crowd

and we have been quick to dismiss Butler , Townsend etc probably more on their 2018 form , their 2917 form was a real sweet spot for them

and the chaos ball of 2017 might have been more true chaos and hard to predict/shut down

we were "on" in 2017 , it was a special run to the finals and in the finals , the stars had truly aligned

do we rephrase the question to what side could have beaten the 2017 tigers on that day ?

2017 may not have been a team of champions but fate delivered to GF day a team that could maintain manic pressure for crazy long periods
and then overwelhm the opposition in a few short minutes

I'll reverse my decision 2017 would overwelhm a slightly too careful 2019 very late in the game

and don't start me on how completely overrated that Martin guy is....

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

the guys that were in both will have more maturity and experience in their 2019 version

but we might under estimate their 2017 versions youth , pace , hunger and feeding off the raw/roar power of the crowd

and we have been quick to dismiss Butler , Townsend etc probably more on their 2018 form , their 2917 form was a real sweet spot for them

and the chaos ball of 2017 might have been more true chaos and hard to predict/shut down

we were "on" in 2017 , it was a special run to the finals and in the finals , the stars had truly aligned

do we rephrase the question to what side could have beaten the 2017 tigers on that day ?

2017 may not have been a team of champions but fate delivered to GF day a team that could maintain manic pressure for crazy long periods

I'll reverse my decision 2017 would overwelhm a slightly too careful 2019 very late in the game
And how good was Houli! :thumbsu::hearts::thumbsu: Rioli was sensational! Nank was awesome! Grigga so smart! On fire!!! Call the Fire Brigade!!!

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
What was it, 0 goals and 5 behinds? Crazy
0 goals, 5 behinds, 1 OOTF having a shot at goal :) could have kicked 6...

on topic, 2019 would run over the top as 2017's forward line would falter under 2019's defence whereas 2019's forward line would either break even or beat 2017's back line.

2019 team would win because 2017 Rance would be so freaked out wondering where 2019 Rance was that he would forget to check where 2019 Jack is, so 2019 Jack would kick a bag (just like real 2019 Jack did).

Also 2017 Shorty would be in the stands barracking for 2019 Shorty. Ditto Shai & Little Ivvy.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

2017 team are my heroes. 37 year drought breaker. So many hoodoo teams beaten. Getting themselves through the pressure of the situation they were in. Transforming themselves and the club into a unit that could not win a final and was the joke of the league, into a club that has maintained a hunger for flags and now has oppo supporters all of a sudden bitching about Vicbias is delicious.

Back