Who Win A "Match" Between 2017 v 2019?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

2019 didn't lose a game when they had close to a full team.

2017 was good, but still a little scrappy and more reliant on pressure.

2019 still had good pressure, but was also a lot more composed and slick moving forward with the forward handball game worked out to the letter. General skills were also better with the introduction of some really polished users.

2019 also has much more versatility up front with Lynch + Riewoldt in tandem, and the ruck division is also a lot stronger with the addition of Soldo.

2017 also carried some battlers, while they performed their role, while 2019 replaced them with some really slick role players like Bolton, Stack, Baker, Pickett.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

2019 didn't lose a game when they had close to a full team.

2017 was good, but still a little scrappy and more reliant on pressure.

2019 still had good pressure, but was also a lot more composed and slick moving forward with the forward handball game worked out to the letter. General skills were also better with the introduction of some really polished users.

2019 also has much more versatility up front with Lynch + Riewoldt in tandem, and the ruck division is also a lot stronger with the addition of Soldo.

2017 also carried some battlers, while they performed their role, while 2019 replaced them with some really slick role players like Bolton, Stack, Baker, Pickett.
2017 had red hot form leading into the big dance...crushed the oppo all the way to the GF!
Like Black Caviar/Winx/Vain...coming home full of running! Yeee Hawww...:D

Vespa

?
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who wears the yellow jumpers and who wears the traditional jumpers with the fluro sash (Groupie loves the fluro).

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
2017 had red hot form leading into the big dance...crushed the oppo all the way to the GF!
Like Black Caviar/Winx/Vain...coming home full of running! Yeee Hawww...:D
I had a look at the replay of 2017 GF. The backline was as solid as ever. Vlas and Houli were standout. Rance did some desperate deeds. Up forward Caddy and Towner played good games. Townsend just never found that form again. I think Caddys best position is in the forward line. I'd forgotten how well Ellis played, Kmac had a good quarter or 2. As did Broad. Lynch is a great player but his size meant a fwd line restructure. I don't think we are actually any better. Just different. It was also strange seeing Grigg, Rioli contesting the ruck. I love Ivan but the back up ruck to Nank spends a lot of time on the bench. Marlion and Shai are good players. But in our gameplan it's all sacrificial running.
Given the potential to implode under the pressure of a grand final, the first in 37 years. 2017 beats 2019

2019 side would win.
2017 side had some big wins after grinding down teams and were red hot in their intensity, but we had to adjust the game plan as sides learned how to deal with it. I think the '19 side would have the same advantage (knowing how to deal with the '17 tigers), and the touch more class would win out.

Also the '17 team may have seemed red hot, but don't forget the '19 team didn't lose a game after the bye. Just seemed to have the confidence and maturity to do what needed to be done when it needed to be done.

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Just saw dreamtime 2017 replay on 7mate and we seemed so far off premiership glory. Elton, Menadue, Lloyd, Bolton and Short all played. Dominated forward half for little return. Cotch his typical hard, selfless self.

Even when decimated by injuries in 2019, the structure was more certain. And boy did our second tier lift. Leadership so much stronger in 2019. No one would have got near us that one day in Sept. 2017 a once in a lifetime wave. 2019 the return of the king.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
With or without lube ?

Squirt-Dry-Lube-120ml.png

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Just saw dreamtime 2017 replay on 7mate and we seemed so far off premiership glory. Elton, Menadue, Lloyd, Bolton and Short all played. Dominated forward half for little return. Cotch his typical hard, selfless self.

Even when decimated by injuries in 2019, the structure was more certain. And boy did our second tier lift. Leadership so much stronger in 2019. No one would have got near us that one day in Sept. 2017 a once in a lifetime wave. 2019 the return of the king.
I saw a bit of that game. I was surprised how well Elton played.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Bolton, Baker, Pickett over McIntosh, Townsend, Butler.
Love both teams.
Would be interested if other teams turned over 6 players when winning multiple premierships. Bloody impressive.
Hawks team b/n 2013 & 2015 had 5 or 6 changes.
I'm hoping Stack, Ross can become premiership players this year. And I feel that Higgins is a coach favourite and will play this year.

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
2019 easily, the talent is equal if not better, the ruck & forward lines are more balanced and Grimes is enough cover for Rance in defense, plus experience, experience, experience. I love 2017's team for breaking through but 2019's team is better.

abcxyz

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
2017!

Players were playing for each other more with a passion of a group who were stronger as a collective, and knew it.
Form was red hot and guys like Townsend knew that at every contest they had to prove themselves.

And let's not forget, 2017 Tigers had a rabid supporter base that mentally fatigued everyone the Tigers played against.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
19 easily.

Game plan changed after 17 to beat teams who tried to copy us *cough*Collingwood*cough*, and we were a better drilled team with a lot more confidence given our history. Our 17 team would go alright, but they were 'enjoying the new success' and didn't have the 3 years of confidence our 19 team did

Back