2017 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let's have some discussion arounf the upcoming VFL season....

who has done well in the off season with regards to recruiting?

potential surprise packets?

season predictions?

I'll kick it off by saying that Northern Blues have done well to get Cam O'Shea from Port Adelaide and Luke Russell from Gold Coast. Quality signings.

Also Willy and Port seem to be competing for who can P155 the furthest again.

Does anyone think that all 6 Frankston players at Willy can/will play seniors?

What are North Ballarat upto? They've signed Brenton Payne...anyone else?

Coburg? They've signed a heap but also lost a heap, how will they go?

Box Hill will be average again.

Casey should be a contender, not sure how well they'll go however.

Coburg I'm hoping does well, but realistically they'll be outside the 8 again.

Collingwood have lost quite a bit to the VAFA, might not be great, but who knows.

Essendon have had a heap of good signings and if Polkinghorne goes around again... Favourites in my (biased) opinion.

Footscray will be there or thereabouts again.

Geelong probably mid table.

North Ballarat will struggle with the loss of Hooper.

Port will do what Port does, make the top 8 and maybe the top 4.

Preston have a couple of good signings but lack depth still, can see them down the bottom.

Richmond are an entity unto themselves. Basically nobody the * knows.

Sandringham I expect lower half of the 8 again.

Werribee are a chance at the 8 but may not be the greatest side.

Williamstown should make the top 4.

If I did a ladder prediction it would look like:

1. Essendon
2. Williamstown
3. Footscray
4. Casey
5. Port Melbourne
6. Sandringham
7. Collingwood
8. Geelong
---------------------
9. Coburg
10. Werribee
11. Box Hill
12. Richmond
13. Preston
14. North Ballarat

Box Hill will be average again.

Casey should be a contender, not sure how well they'll go however.

Coburg I'm hoping does well, but realistically they'll be outside the 8 again.

I reckon Box Hill and Coburg from outside your 8 could surprise. With Coburg 5 of the first 6 or 7 games at home. Need to get off to a good start.

I reckon Box Hill and Coburg from outside your 8 could surprise. With Coburg 5 of the first 6 or 7 games at home. Need to get off to a good start.
We've lost too many important players.

I saw Ahmed Saad has signed with West Preston Lakeside. There's 50 Coburg goals that need to be replaced straight up.
Our forward line is still pretty good with McEvoy, Kerbatieh, Featherstone and Cauchi, but other than that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big surprise will be Essendon. Big fall will be Box Hill.

Coburg will disappoint as will Collingwood whilst Sandringham will follow the same route as their senior side and tease with some very good performances.

Fully expect Williamstown, Footscray and Port Melbourne to all be around the mark also

Box Hill will be the big improvers. Lost 4 games by single digits last year and the only players of note lost are Isles, Lock and Lawlor. Would love for Woodward to have signed though after being delisted by the Hawks.

With spots up for grabs in the Hawks senior side with the loss of Mitchell and Lewis, 1-4 years players will be champing at the bit to put forward impressive performances.
And surely our injury list could not be as extensive as it was last year.

And lets not forget, our development league side won the GF last year by a record margin!

Last edited:
Box Hill got found out for a lack of depth, and then you list your two best non-Hawthorn players leaving (Iles and Lock) leaving as a reason why you'll improve? You're going to be in for a harsh wake up call I think...

Box Hill got found out for a lack of depth, and then you list your two best non-Hawthorn players leaving (Iles and Lock) leaving as a reason why you'll improve? You're going to be in for a harsh wake up call I think...

Both great servants however Isles was running on old legs and Lock hardly touched it last season. Andrew Moore (ex Port / Richmond) will dominate at this level and a kid called Billy Evans who was a rookie at Brisbane will be a HUGE surprise. Also expect a much better season from Max Warren and now that Ayden kennedy has games under his belt after a knee reco, will be a big improver.

Happy to be proven wrong but very bullish particularly after seeing what other teams have done but in some cases, haven't done.

Season 2017 is a make or break for 3 or 4 VFL Clubs, mainly the boys from Abbotsford. With membership dwindling since Nathan "I Can't Coach" Buckley took the reigns, I can't see them staying afloat for much longer and a merger with Fitzroy Stars seems probable.

Port Melbourne is another who on paper have recruited quite well especially the signing of Eli "Kenny Rogers" Templeton but the fans among the ranks worry me especially the Bay St Bakery Boy, Ricky "Toot Toot" Nixon. His off field antics may effect some of the younger lads and i can't see them handling the demends of a full season of senior football plus Pre Game beers at The Exchange.

The Mighty Scraggers are my go-to team again this season, word from the kennel is that Lin Jong has been having a massive pre-season and has been refraining from eating too may fried dim-sims in his mums kitchen.

Wild Will Hams will bring home the Liston in 2017 and will be picked up by Port Adelaide in 2018.

Just came across this thread. For this upcoming season, who would people say are the best players that aren't on an AFL list?

Just came across this thread. For this upcoming season, who would people say are the best players that aren't on an AFL list?
There are too many to count. Last year's TOTY players that weren't picked up included:

Heppell, Hutchins, Russell, Kelly, Rippon, Gibbons, Cavarra, Hanson, Dunnell, Meese, O'Sullivan, Wheeler, Jolley and there are others that I'm forgetting too.

Jolley has played at AFL level. Unlucky to be brief. Quality player everyone at Willy loves!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back