2017 Womens Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL clinches groundbreaking women's TV deal

by John Stensholt

The AFL has clinched a groundbreaking broadcast deal for its AFL women's competition, making the new league one of the most telecast female leagues in the country.

Seven West Media and Fox Sports will be confirmed as the AFLW league's broadcasters on Friday, and the AFL itself will stream all matches for free on its high-rating website and official app – another first for the league.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/afl-clinches-groundbreaking-womens-tv-deal-20161208-gt6t06

I've no doubt.

But the AFL is responsible for product quality. There's a concern that the standard will be affected by too many teams.

There isn't enough players yet.
Yep.

This is why the talk of aggressive expansion, full time contracts and commensurate pay concerns me.

No one - the league, players, clubs, fans - know what their product is right now.

One thing for certain is that the product isn't strong enough at this point in time to stand on its own, nor is there a big enough pool of quality players to guarantee expansion improves it.

Personally, I think expectations need to be tempered. Just look at the interest in VFL and TAC Cup footy. A couple of die hards, family and friends are the market. And at the expense of ruffling feathers, and to be fair to all, the quality of football on offer in both VFL and TAC Cup far exceeds that of the AFLW.

Hear what you are saying and you are spot on about the talent pool - but any comparison between the men's and women's game is odious to the point of silly - see tennis. It's about entertainment in its own right, not comparison to a clearly more technical, developed presentation of the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One things for sure, by the end of this summer we'll know a lot more about the popularity of womens sport than we did before.

8 Prime time AFLW matches on Seven
12 Prime time WBBL matches on Ten
a stack of prime time Netball matches on Nine.

Lets see if the men switch over like the womens codes hope.

479542-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Sorry for the interruption. Posted this pic to stop the Elliott arse being on the "front" page for this thread. This will work?

One things for sure, by the end of this summer we'll know a lot more about the popularity of womens sport than we did before.

8 Prime time AFLW matches on Seven
12 Prime time WBBL matches on Ten
a stack of prime time Netball matches on Nine.

Lets see if the men switch over like the womens codes hope.
The danger is mistaking curiosity for something more substantial and sustainable.

Hear what you are saying and you are spot on about the talent pool - but any comparison between the men's and women's game is odious to the point of silly - see tennis. It's about entertainment in its own right, not comparison to a clearly more technical, developed presentation of the sport.
Wasn't strictly comparing the two, just saying that the VFL and TAC Cup draw poorly despite being of reasonable quality.

The danger is mistaking curiosity for something more substantial and sustainable.

Curioisity is what last year was about. This summer will give us more than enough data to run with. Unless your one of those that are looking for reasons for it to fail regardless.

Curioisity is what last year was about. This summer will give us more than enough data to run with. Unless your one of those that are looking for reasons for it to fail regardless.
I don't care whether it succeeds or fails.

I'm simply safeguarding myself against the inevitable - and premature - grasping for positives out of the whole exercise.

Quotes like, "X people were at Y match, a wonderful turnout that proves there's an appetite for women's football" on days in which matches are played as part of a double header.

Well of course, by that notion VFL, TAC Cup and whatever other standard you want to talk about would be better attended if played before an AFL match.

"Television numbers were a wonderful reflection of the public' want for more," when there's nothing else on Tele and a 5-odd month absence of any form of the sport.

I don't care whether it succeeds or fails.

You very clearly do.

I'm simply safeguarding myself against the inevitable - and premature - grasping for positives out of the whole exercise.

You clearly dont believe the concept will work. Just say so. because almost nothing you wrote below applies to this coming season.

Quotes like, "X people were at Y match, a wonderful turnout that proves there's an appetite for women's football" on days in which matches are played as part of a double header.

Well of course, by that notion VFL, TAC Cup and whatever other standard you want to talk about would be better attended if played before an AFL match.

"Television numbers were a wonderful reflection of the public' want for more," when there's nothing else on Tele and a 5-odd month absence of any form of the sport.

Curiousity is one or two matches. And only one was a curtainraiser. In any case, a full summer program of 28 matches WILL give us enough data. Of those 28, about 1/3rd are curtain raisers, quite a few are standalone. - and there are no curtain raisers on Sevens coverage.

Nothing else on television while Soccer and Netball will be in full swing. Oh and the AFL preseason.

Some people will look for reasons for it to fail regardless.

thread is breaking the internet and my brain which is unfortunate - the numbers reading it a clear indication the women's game is a raging success
Or a clear indication too many are looking for ways to show it is going to fail

You very clearly do.

You clearly dont believe the concept will work. Just say so. because almost nothing you wrote below applies to this coming season.

Curiousity is one or two matches. And only one was a curtainraiser. In any case, a full summer program of 28 matches WILL give us enough data. Of those 28, about 1/3rd are curtain raisers, quite a few are standalone. - and there are no curtain raisers on Sevens coverage.

Nothing else on television while Soccer and Netball will be in full swing. Oh and the AFL preseason.

Some people will look for reasons for it to fail regardless.
There's a marked difference between wanting it to fail and considering just what it'll take for it to be a success and how high that bar will be set, but in today's modern discourse it's understandable that people struggle to tell the difference between indifference and prejudice.

As for the concept itself, I think it good that young girls and women have a pathway to pursue an interest of theirs. If they want to continue playing football then all power to them. If you want to watch, then go for it.

But personally, I really can't stress how little I care about AFLW. As if to prove a point, I'll not talk about it on this forum ever again; I'll divorce myself from proceedings entirely to show how little it registers with, rankles or interests me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back