Training 2017 women's preseason (practice match Aust day (26 Jan) 6.30pm @ Holden Centre vs bulldogs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering Jatz, you're obviously a big supporter of the women's league. Have you been able to pick a team to follow? Would you support Freo?
I guess I am supporting Freo by default. Fortunately because I have been looking at the women's comps for some time, there are players I have been following in every team basically.

So I can't lose, I'm supporting every team to some degree.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I guess I am supporting Freo by default. Fortunately because I have been looking at the women's comps for some time, there are players I have been following in every team basically.

So I can't lose, I'm supporting every team to some degree.

I guess Emma King and Ruby Schleicher would be from your digs, and IIRC we've got two other WA girls? Are they ones you've been following? What can we expect to see from these girls?

I think we should prepare ourselves for the competition initially having big wins and loses. There's bound to be some teams that will jump out of the blocks a lot stronger. But as the competition gets more embedded and they learn about what works and what doesn't then it'll settle down.

The Demon v Bulldog exhibition games gave a bit of an insight into what we might expect. Another thing to prepare for is the disparity between the elite players on each list and many of the rest. The best players stand out at any level, of course, but the unevenness of the women's comp might be quite significant in its early stages. At least this has been my cursory observation from what I've seen.

None of this is to denigrate the women's comp, which I find myself looking forward to more and more. Rather, I just think that there will be plenty of reminders that the transformation of amateur footballers into a professional league will take time. I'll enjoy watching the evolution.

I guess Emma King and Ruby Schleicher would be from your digs, and IIRC we've got two other WA girls? Are they ones you've been following? What can we expect to see from these girls?
Havent seen much of Schleicher apart from the WAWFL grand final. Slightly undersized ruck, but really mobile, the sort that loses the knock but then gets the clearance.
Edwards came through the WA youth girls and will be a key in the defence. One of the new breed of players coming through that look like natural footballers because they have been doing it their whole lives. Quick, composed under pressure, can run through traffic, good left foot kick, competitive, all the ingredients required.
Do not know much about Morgan either.
King means you will not lose many in the ruck, and she is surprisingly mobile for her size, can take a grab which some of the bigger women do not seem to be able to.

The issue with womens footy at the moment is there are limited opportunities for exposure. If you do not play in a final, exhibition match, or a one of the handful of matches streamed, then no one apart from those at the ground get to see you. One of the reasons its so hard to figure out the depth of the comp

The issue with womens footy at the moment is there are limited opportunities for exposure. If you do not play in a final, exhibition match, or a one of the handful of matches streamed, then no one apart from those at the ground get to see you. One of the reasons its so hard to figure out the depth of the comp

With the Women's League coming in. You think that could Change

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...to-be-standing-room-only-20170116-gtsa1d.html

I can't say I'm surprised but its still disappointing. Olympic Park isn't the most pleasant place to stand to watch football matches. People who aren't used to going to VFL games there might be disappointed. If people don't enjoy their experience at the first women's match they mightn't want to go to another one.

Agree, disappointing. I've expressed my view on this numerous times, so I wont again.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...to-be-standing-room-only-20170116-gtsa1d.html

I can't say I'm surprised but its still disappointing. Olympic Park isn't the most pleasant place to stand to watch football matches. People who aren't used to going to VFL games there might be disappointed. If people don't enjoy their experience at the first women's match they mightn't want to go to another one.

So they are NOT expecting a Big Crowd then.

Look Pretty Crap for the Opening Game of the New Women's league be played where Standing Room Only is.

Will look like it's played at a Local Footy Ground

Collingwood being Cheap Skates again with Olympic Park

Agree, disappointing. I've expressed my view on this numerous times, so I wont again.

No Worse then some other VFL Grounds. IF I can get a lift home. I will be going

If only there was an existing venue with good sight lines and facilities for spectators so there was no need to debate temporary seating vs standing with minimal elevation and no covered areas.

20110517-072505_IGP9919.jpg

Was talking to my friend that works at GWS and she is expecting big things from the women's comp. There is a lot of work going into it as you could expect.

I asked who she thought would go well team wise and she said it was a little hard to tell but she thinks Freo will be the team to beat because their comp is really strong over there. The rest of the teams are draw out of a hat.

Know it isn't Collingwood related but I thought it just throw it out there.

Was talking to my friend that works at GWS and she is expecting big things from the women's comp. There is a lot of work going into it as you could expect.

I asked who she thought would go well team wise and she said it was a little hard to tell but she thinks Freo will be the team to beat because their comp is really strong over there. The rest of the teams are draw out of a hat.

Know it isn't Collingwood related but I thought it just throw it out there.
We aren't going to know until it happens. Its not like the men's where you can take the previous year as a base and factor in the changes. Most people have never seen more than a handful of players in their team play.
Another issue is, no AFL club has ever set up a program for women before, its possible some clubs blow it, and some nail it.

We aren't going to know until it happens. Its not like the men's where you can take the previous year as a base and factor in the changes. Most people have never seen more than a handful of players in their team play.
Another issue is, no AFL club has ever set up a program for women before, its possible some clubs blow it, and some nail it.

I guess that makes it more exciting that it is just so unknown.

Yeah definitely agree with the program. I think it's going to be a lot of trial and error involved. Hoping for us that we can be one of the teams that nail it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only there was an existing venue with good sight lines and facilities for spectators so there was no need to debate temporary seating vs standing with minimal elevation and no covered areas.

I think the argument is that we can't play night games there. Also the women have state of the art facilities set up for them at Olympic. I have a theory that Collingwood is hoping it is chockas at its home games and leverage it for a boutique 10,000 (say half seated) stadium to be developed

I think the argument is that we can't play night games there. Also the women have state of the art facilities set up for them at Olympic. I have a theory that Collingwood is hoping it is chockas at its home games and leverage it for a boutique 10,000 (say half seated) stadium to be developed
My post was largely tongue in cheek. Night games are more suited to summer and are likely a preference for TV broadcasts too. While the Victoria Park lights aren't much worse than Olympic park locals and council would be big obstacles for night games. In terms facilities for players the better setup would help for recovery etc, but a short drive back after the match shouldn't make much difference and the ground and change rooms at Vic Park are good enough for VFL.

One medium covered terrace/grandstand would improve spectator amenities immensely at Olympic park as it really lacks elevated viewing areas and seating which are the preference for many. There's certainly space on the eastern wing for this if the seating is angled over the service road.

When was that Photo Taken?

More resentment growing about Olympic Park's capacity. Supposedly it holds 5k, but the AFL is appointing a contractor to assess this and fences will be installed to ensure the capacity isn't breached. Personally I might use the upcoming practice match to see what the views are like outside of the ground incase I don't get there early enough to beat the likely lockout.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...0/news-story/dc12c62b43eb09e9a5007a01f13328e5
“The AFL is in the process of determining the exact crowd capacity at Olympic Park Oval with demand expected to be high for the first ever NAB AFL Women’s match,” an AFL spokesperson told the Herald Sun.

“The AFL will be working closely with the venue and Collingwood to ensure we maximise the number of people who can attend while maintaining a safe and enjoyable environment at the ground.

“This may involve temporary infrastructure to manage numbers with details to be released in the near future.”

More resentment growing about Olympic Park's capacity. Supposedly it holds 5k, but the AFL is appointing a contractor to assess this and fences will be installed to ensure the capacity isn't breached. Personally I might use the upcoming practice match to see what the views are like outside of the ground incase I don't get there early enough to beat the likely lockout.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...0/news-story/dc12c62b43eb09e9a5007a01f13328e5

I'm not sure there are views from outside the ground. You cant do much on the south side, other side of the river, as views would be blocked by the Holden Centre and Glasshouse. On the north side? Very tight area betweeen the ground and Olympic Boulevard, and across the latter - maybe some views from the brige associated with the Tennis Centre? AAMi stadium blocks views from the east.

The whole place is very constrained.

And I'm starting to get really annoyed about this. Not with you barrackers, but with the club, for treating the fans with some contempt. The women's league is a serious initiatve. It should be treated seriously.

For Once I agree with the AFL that Olympic Park need Improvements for Fans

I'm not sure there are views from outside the ground. You cant do much on the south side, other side of the river, as views would be blocked by the Holden Centre and Glasshouse. On the north side? Very tight area betweeen the ground and Olympic Boulevard, and across the latter - maybe some views from the brige associated with the Tennis Centre? AAMi stadium blocks views from the east.

The whole place is very constrained.

And I'm starting to get really annoyed about this. Not with you barrackers, but with the club, for treating the fans with some contempt. The women's league is a serious initiatve. It should be treated seriously.
Anyone including you and me who have watched VFL footy at Olympic Park know it has serious limitations. I'm very surprised that the AFL and Collingwood didn't give this more consideration especially for the opening game. Hopefully the club doesn't go down this path, but there could be an option to give entry preference to members who have taken up the $60 women's support package.

Anyone including you and me who have watched VFL footy at Olympic Park know it has serious limitations. I'm very surprised that the AFL and Collingwood didn't give this more consideration especially for the opening game. Hopefully the club doesn't go down this path, but there could be an option to give entry preference to members who have taken up the $60 women's support package.

As I have!

As I have!
Nice work, I haven't got around to it yet, but will do so in the next couple of days. I suspect there'll be neutral fans on top of Collingwood and Carlton supporters wishing it see the first match and I hope the negative press doesn't stop a full house. Wouldn't it be great seeing big numbers getting behind women's footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back