Training 2017 women's preseason (practice match Aust day (26 Jan) 6.30pm @ Holden Centre vs bulldogs)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, when the scheduling was done they couldn't have known what the level of interest would be.
If the reverse had happened they'd be a laughing stock, wiser heads have prevailed and good on them.
TradeDraft maybe this could be put in your thoughts thread?

Then why did you Mods did not move it there then?

Because if I moved it without asking you, you would complain.
I thought I'd be polite and ask you.

Well I think it worth talking about as it Effects Women's and VFL Teams.

This had to happen, but more forethought might have seen us playing a home game at Vic Park.

Did Collingwood have any Say on where they wanted the Games to be Played? or Was it all AFL Call?

This had to happen, but more forethought might have seen us playing a home game at Vic Park.

It was always unviable to hold it as the Holden Centre - so much so that I am a little cynical and wonder if the whole 'moving it due to overwhelming demand' was a planned PR stunt.

This match was always going to bring in more than 3k spectators.

I hope I'm wrong because the implication is that the fans are being treated as idiots.

(Personally it's annoying as I need to now change a bunch of plans with people whose kids I'd planned to pick up and take to the game and now we need to organise completely different meeting spots, public transport, etc - hardly the end of the world but given that it now feels this move was always part of the plan it's irritating.)

It was always unviable to hold it as the Holden Centre - so much so that I am a little cynical and wonder if the whole 'moving it due to overwhelming demand' was a planned PR stunt.

This match was always going to bring in more than 3k spectators.

I hope I'm wrong because the implication is that the fans are being treated as idiots.

(Personally it's annoying as I need to now change a bunch of plans with people whose kids I'd planned to pick up and take to the game and now we need to organise completely different meeting spots, public transport, etc - hardly the end of the world but given that it now feels this move was always part of the plan it's irritating.)

Not the 1st Time the AFL has not cared about there Fans.

I am not Going. Watching on TV

I'm not sure there are views from outside the ground. You cant do much on the south side, other side of the river,

South side there is two rows of carparks behind the goals. Subject to access, they could consider replacing that with a car park stacker ...

3-stack-car-parking.jpg

... and the facade of the car park stacker could be turned into a viewing gallery, kind of like what they do with theatre boxes ...

images

It wouldn't improve capacity greatly, but it'd be something a bit unique around the grounds. A big challenge with this design would be compliance with the fire (evacuation) code, but it wouldn't be insurmountable.

The increased parking capacity might generate a revenue stream (subject to access) that might help pay for it.

In the south east corner there is a bit of space. It's where the oval maintenance area is (sand stores, etc). Something could probably be built in that pocket without disrupting sight lines of AAMI park.

...as views would be blocked by the Holden Centre and Glasshouse.

Beggars belief that they didn't think to build something on the roof of the new Glasshouse. They couldn't build anything too grand because it'd have to be sympathetic to the Holden Centre; but if they ran it the full width (100 people ?) by 10 deep, that's a 1000 capacity with perfect views over the oval and of AAMI park beyond ... that would have really been something special.

On the north side? Very tight area betweeen the ground and Olympic Boulevard, and across the latter - maybe some views from the brige associated with the Tennis Centre?

IMHO they stuffed up when they made the Olympic Park Oval follow the orientation of the old running track. They should have made it a convention East West Oval. (Olympic Park Oval has the same orientation as Etihad which has always been pilloried for shadows cast at day games that have the roof open). The Olympic Park Oval is the same size as the MCG and looking at the layout on Google maps it would seem that they could have fit an East-West Oval there.

They would have had to put the Glasshouse somewhere else - probably on the south side so as not to block the sight lines of AAMI park, but it looks to have been do-able.

AAMi stadium blocks views from the east.

They have some basic concrete structures on that side. They could have made them a little more substantial without interfering with AAMI park. A temporary structure over that to provide shade would have been worthwhile (as I am sure you'd agree).

The south east corner of the ground contains the relocated BOM weather station, so there could be some difficulty. It was moved from the city as buildings obstructed wind recording abilities. I'd imagine a grandstand would do similar.

Definitely a missed opportunity with the glasshouse roof, although a redesign may have been needed to minimise blocking sight lines. In saying that they didn't exist with the old Olympic Park.

The main area that could accomodate a stand without sight line issues is behind the southern goals. Car parking could be put under ground or in the undercroft of stand. I'd like to see the glass house extended to form an open grandstand at that end.

The other option would be to utilise and possibly extend the western terrace of AAMI stadium, seating could flow down over the service road.

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather-services/announcements/vic/melb-olympic-park2013.shtml

MBOP-Site.jpg

Olympicpark_12_small-940x600.jpg

Last edited:
There are only 7 rounds, so before the re-scheduling Blues had 3 home & Pies 4 home games

These girls will be representing the two most famous clubs for the very first time. I reckon there will be 15,000 plus supporters there (it's a historic event)

Not sure how many supporters OP can hold, but Princess Park is a more fitting venue (So would have Vic Park)

On the weekend 2,000 attended the practice game between Blues & Melb

The game is going live as a stand alone game, so to have a massive crowd looking on will be great for television too.

Blues by a point

There are only 7 rounds, so before the re-scheduling Blues had 3 home & Pies 4 home games

These girls will be representing the two most famous clubs for the very first time. I reckon there will be 15,000 plus supporters there (it's a historic event)

Not sure how many supporters OP can hold, but Princess Park is a more fitting venue (So would have Vic Park)

The game is going live as a stand alone game, so to have a massive crowd looking on will be great for television too.

Blues by a point

Blues up by a point with 25 seconds to go. Pies take it out of the middle, pack forms, ball spills, Hope roves and snaps from the pocket. Goal. Goooooallll!!! Pies by 5 points.

Hun Headline next day: 'Hope Springs Eternal'

Blues up by a point with 25 seconds to go. Pies take it out of the middle, pack forms, ball spills, Hope roves and snaps from the pocket. Goal. Goooooallll!!! Pies by 5 points.

Hun Headline next day: 'Hope Springs Eternal'

Hey!! This is not meant to happen. What's going on here? Has Eddie paid off the time keeper?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues by a point

I liked everything but for the result btw

The south east corner of the ground contains the relocated BOM weather station, so there could be some difficulty. It was moved from the city as buildings obstructed wind recording abilities. I'd imagine a grandstand would do similar.

Definitely a missed opportunity with the glasshouse roof, although a redesign may have been needed to minimise blocking sight lines. In saying that they didn't exist with the old Olympic Park.

The main area that could accomodate a stand without sight line issues is behind the southern goals. Car parking could be put under ground or in the undercroft of stand. I'd like to see the glass house extended to form an open grandstand at that end.

The other option would be to utilise and possibly extend the western terrace of AAMI stadium, seating could flow down over the service road.

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather-services/announcements/vic/melb-olympic-park2013.shtml

MBOP-Site.jpg

Olympicpark_12_small-940x600.jpg

Good ideas guys...I had the same thought re the glasshouse roof...it is possible that they have built the glasshouse with that as a possibility....it's also possible that this whole thing has taken turns that weren't expected and / or the strategic thinking at the club is not as strong as they try to signal

Most likely though the club is rolling out a long term plan to develop the facility to include a boutique stadium but, as is the way in these matters globally, getting the maximimum government contribution and a long term lease with maximum control

In the meanwhile someone at the club should be furiously sourcing about 2,000 to 3,000 seats worth of temporary stands for our remaining three home games. Presumably we have a fair excess of sponsorship, membership and afl revenue that would implicitly need to be hypothecated to the women's team anyway. Otherwise the club is seriously risking ending up with a really embarrassing situation and detracting from the long term off field prospects of our womens team.

Last edited:
Full leadership group

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-01-25/chiocci-name-written-in-magpie-history
Chiocci will be supported by vice-captain Alicia Eva and leadership group members Emma King and Lou Wotton.

25 year old Eva brings a strong coaching background to the role, having combined her passions for coaching and playing over the past seven years, including positions with the Calder Cannons.

Wotton oozes leadership experience, having captained the Eastern Devils in the VFLW for over a decade, while marquee player King represents the younger generation on the list.

“Not only have we got a really good spread of experience and youth, but we’ve also got a good spread of where our leaders will play across the field,” Hutchins said.

“The common theme is that all four have exceptional work ethics that help raise the bar and drive the group when it comes to their training and behavioural standards.”

It sounds like a lot smoother appointment than the first men's captain in 1892.

The process of appointing Collingwood’s first ever captain was a surprisingly messy one.

The subject was discussed at a players meeting at the Yarra Hotel on the morning of the team’s first practice game against the Clifton Football Club in April of 1892. The plan was to get changed there, elect a captain then walk to Victoria Park. But that seemingly simple task degenerated into fisticuffs, with two players reportedly coming to blows over the captaincy issue!

In the end it was Alf ‘Doney’ Dean, a former Britannia player, who led the Magpies out that day. But he was quickly abandoned, apparently for being too old, and a second skipper, former Fitzroy and Britannia player Joe Delahunty, was appointed in his place. But then Delahunty fell ill before the first game, and Tasmanian stalwart George Watt eventually claimed the honour of leading the Pies in their first ever game.

Dear CollingwoodFC Supporters
I'm writing to you to ask for your help.
I am a proud parent of one of the recently drafted women forming the inaugural CollingwoodFC Women's AFL Squad.
I'm a lifelong supporter of an opposing AFL team. It's ingrained in my DNA my family my life.
I've admired the CollingwoodFC as a respected & at times a despised opponent. At times I've been envious of what it's achieved and now I've been given the opportunity of being a part of it. That's pretty exciting.
I need your help to help me become a passionate supporter of the CollingwoodFC Women's team.
I'm not looking to converted to all things Collingwood, that won't happen.
My love for my lifelong team, as you would understand & appreciate is too strong, too much a part of me, my makeup.
But I want to be a one eyed supporter of the women's team.
So with that said I need to be shown the ropes so to speak. I need to practice the club theme song, the chant & anything else that makes you a CollingwoodFC supporter.
This Friday the women's team is playing a practice match at the Holden Centre.
I've arranged for some Collingwood supporting friends & family of mine to join me & assist me commence my indoctrination at the match and I would like as many of you that can make it to the game to help me in my endeavours.
Let me see the renowned passion from the biggest club in AFL, to help my transition into a CollingwoodFC Women's supporter.
How's that motto of yours go 'Side By Side'.
You up for the challenge?
Look forward to seeing you there.
GO PIES! See it's started.
Were you there yesterday and what did you think of your maiden game as MagPie supporter?

Were you there yesterday and what did you think of your maiden game as MagPie supporter?
I enjoyed it. Thought it was played at a pretty good pace. Became congested at times but generally there were some good run and carry passages.
Definatly threw themselves at each other with some great takles laid.
All in all better than I expected and will improve as the nerves settle.
Congrats all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back