2017 Women's Team - List Management and Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With the news we will be fielding a women's team in 2017 I think it is time to start discussing who will be in that team.

So, I am starting at ground zero here but I will quote a post by ODN with some good info

First step is to sign two marquee players per team. Some have been signing players ahead of time and the AFL have said to stop. For those that have signed more than 2, I don't think the AFL are going to do much unfortunately. Then there are those who say they won't leave home and for $25k maximum salary, I can understand that.

Some kinks need to be ironed out.

Lauren Arnell was a Dogs player and Victorian representative hired by Carlton as a staff member and ambassador. Her uncle played for the Dogs and supported them but seems keen to play for us. She was tweeting about Carlton's team today so I suspect she is one of our marquee players. She is also a PE teacher and a level 2 coach so I think she has some coaching aspirations there.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-03-29/blues-appoint-visy-female-football-ambassador

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-06-29/lauren-arnell-womens-post-match-interview

Bulldogs board says that Darcy Vescio is also working at Carlton, and that Stephanie Chiocchi is a mad keen Carlton supporter so might go. Both werer chosen as part of the 6 the Dogs were allowed to keep pre-draft last year.

DarcyVescio.PNG

StephanieChiocci.PNG

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The look on these women's faces. This is such a wonderful move.

I love a happy story. Their excitement makes me a tad emotional. All of the beaming smiles at the announcement, all of the tweets, the interviews.

Feel good story of the generation AFL wise, at least for me.

The Breaking Down Barriers mantra they are using is fantastic.

Can we have a BF Buddy Draft for the women's team?

Not sure enough will get to see the games or report on them given the Blues buddy draft doesn't always generate the productivity we are after.

The look on these women's faces. This is such a wonderful move.
And when you consider they have to endure the ridiculousness of Robbo, and they're still up and about, more evidence as to what this means to them...

And when you consider they have to endure the ridiculousness of Robbo, and they're still up and about, more evidence as to what this means to them...

Oh god, the way he was talking to Sabrina. Height + hair + skin colour = Female Nic Nat vibe. I was cringing saying 'don't go there Robbo ... don't equate football ability and athleticism to appearance, especially if you seem to be using racial profiling.' Think she shut that down by making a point of saying she was British right after that.

Might be reading too much into it, I don't know. Just seems if she was an athletic ruck from WA with a nice leap, that's what you articulate but he didn't talk about her footballing ability.

Oh god, the way he was talking to Sabrina. Height + hair + skin colour = Female Nic Nat vibe. I was cringing saying 'don't go there Robbo ... don't equate football ability and athleticism to appearance, especially if you seem to be using racial profiling.' Think she shut that down by making a point of saying she was British right after that.

Might be reading too much into it, I don't know. Just seems if she was an athletic ruck from WA with a nice leap, that's what you articulate but he didn't talk about her footballing ability.
He is cringeworthy in the extreme. I think both ladies did a fantastic job of humouring him and being polite as they could be. But he is a deadset moron.
But hopefully it was just a small price to pay for the girls to promote this fantastic initiative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back