2017 wooden spooners=Us?

Remove this Banner Ad

I figured 3 wins at best.

All I wanted to see was an actual game plan and on field structure, and improvement on effort, skills and decision making. Sadly. I haven't seen much of this the last two games, after a promising start to the season.

Not long ago it was a "can we make the 8" thread, where is 3KZ is Football ? What a change in fortune.
I tell you where I will be next weekend. In Launceston. Airfare and accommodation booked. Taking the family to the footy to support Brisbane as they take on Hawthorn. I would love to say that our tilt for the final eight starts next week, but it is more likely that my tilt for the anti-depressants gets a hurry on given our current form.

Can't believe you guys are so negative. Anything can happen in footy. Form can just appear out of nowhere and flick on like a switch. Equally, the form of others can suddenly hit a wall. :cool:

Seriously though, even with all my negativity at the moment (because we are genuinely and pathetically s**t right now) I wouldn't be looking to predict the likelihood of wins and losses in a month or 2's time. We'll come last, but we might snag a couple out of the blue.

The hardest part as a supporter is. The moment we string a few ok performances together and the media start saying 'fagen is working', 'best young spine in the AFL', 'will play finals in the next few years'.. we totally s**t the bed and become totally uncompetitive the next week. Its happened heaps over the last 6-7 years. This group cant manage expectation and are completely incapable of building and maintaining consistant improvement.

We are young, the first few weeks was just a bounce most teams get from a new coach, every other team is improving, we are going backwards again, the reality is we lack talent.

Cant see any light at the end of the tunnel, players will leave again this year (rightly so) and the cycle will continue.

We just need to readjust expectations, the group have lost confidence again, the honey moon is over and we are going to put out young teams that get belted everyweek.

Can't believe you guys are so negative. Anything can happen in footy. Form can just appear out of nowhere and flick on like a switch. Equally, the form of others can suddenly hit a wall. :cool:

Seriously though, even with all my negativity at the moment (because we are genuinely and pathetically s**t right now) I wouldn't be looking to predict the likelihood of wins and losses in a month or 2's time. We'll come last, but we might snag a couple out of the blue.
I agree.

I go to/ watch games knowing we don't currently have the cattle with the experience and ability to be competitive at this point. But even knowing this i stil get caught up emotionally - probably lack of confidence that the future will be better.

Much prefer the nefal games. Expect to see less quality but happy with the glimpses of possibility.

Just had a look at the draw over the next 2 rounds and IMO our game v the pies in round 10 is very likely to be 17th v 18th.

Would be a great positive for our season if we smash them by 10 goals and end Nathan Buckleys coaching career at the MCG on Sunday the 28th of May 2017.

I say we here to stay for the year now :( PP and tanking threads please start :)

This year was always going to either magic click year with 5-7 wins
Or a year where Fagan gets to see the players first hand then chops dead wood.
We could still get 4 maybe not sure how, although I expect us to be better in the second half and will take 1-2 wins no one saw coming.
'Dead wood' can only be chopped if they come out of contract. There is no way clubs will want to take off our hands players that we don't want. We gave several players two year deals last year who should have been moved on.

I fear the 'let's keep rubbish at the club' much more than the 'go home factor'.

The list 'stinks' and will require years to fix so stand by for some pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the other wooden spoon contenders already have 2-3 wins on the board and are more capable of getting a victory as it is. Sydney aren't a bottom 4 team and will keep pushing up the ladder and if we lose to Hawthorn (which is pretty likely) we will be 2 wins behind them.

So unless we can snag a victory against Hawthorn it looks pretty clear we'll finish 18th even if we can get another 3-5 wins. We're better than last year, but so are the other bottom 4 teams - it's a competitive season.

I wonder if we didn't do the priority pick application last year and did one this year if we would have gotten a better pick?

'
I fear the 'let's keep rubbish at the club' much more than the 'go home factor'.

The list 'stinks' and will require years to fix so stand by for some pain.
Yep 2-3 year extensions for players who you might drop the year later.
Although we talking the same club that extended Leppa then pulled the pin.
We loose players to go home although if your offered more $ to play in a team that wins you just take the wins.
It will be hard to keep players if no one thinks we going to win any games. 2014 7 wins then 4,3 and what 3-4 this year
Demons had 3 real bad years and going up now. If we do not look like going up really who will stay

There been some positives I like to see if some of the other players get some consistency
Mayes, Taylor, N Robbo, Gardiner been good they are not A graders although you need players who can just play the same all day.
Keays been good the last few games. Berry, Barret, Cox and McLuggae been up and down but showed something. Papps had a good game..
Lester just does what Lester does he never going to be the player I want him to be although he is consistent enough to stay to someone takes his spot.

D Beams, Zorko, Rocky, Rich and M Robbo all been good. Ok Rich had a couple of bad games :)
Martin been good not great in some games as well although we have Archie waiting to get a game.
Bundy missing really apart from D Beams now been the main injury out.
Really only Skinner and Matho been injured of fringe players and hope Matho plays seniors soon.

Our young talls been the problem as they young talls :) No idea why Walker does not play.
Andrews, McStay down back up and down I think Harris finding it hard post Sauce.
Hipwood, Schache and Close up forward up and down. Mostly down I have Hippy in my supercoach :(

It is really the next line that need to step up.
Jansen, Walker, Frost, Bell and Bastinac all on a second club so had the chances. No idea why Walker not playing as mentioned above of this lot.
Bewick, Harwood, C Beams, Culter, Dawson, Freeman, Clayton be interesting where they end up. Pretty sure a lot have contracts past this year :)

OK, so here's a thought. Media commentators have said about us several times that we're reminiscent of GWS 5 years ago. Now, it's true that that's stupid, because we have about 3 top 10 picks on our list, and they have about 162, but still. What if we DID go full GWS?

Keep guys like Lester - highly professional, but B grade.
Trade Rocky, Rich and Zorko - they have trade value, but won't be with us when we're actually going to play finals. I'd expect top 10 picks for Zorko and Rocky, 1st rounder for Rich.
Keep D Beams because he has no trade value given his durability. Mitch Robbo may also have no trade value outside Brisbane.
Offer 1 year contracts to recent retirees. Coach/player roles, so leadership a requirement. Your James Kelly equivalents. Nicky Dal, Van Berlo, Boomer Harvey, Pav, Bartel, Enright, Malceski, hell - let's get Patfull back! They're the options from 2016. Who are the 2017 mob? No idea yet. If we can get 3 of them, we'll have the senior bodies to instruct and shield the youngens.
Go to the draft hard. High picks, and as many as we can from trading out >25yo players with any trade value.

Not saying it'll work, but at the rate we're going, I don't see that it's good for us or fair on them to keep Zorks, Rocky, and Rich around. At this stage, they'll retire right when we're looking for finals, and we'll be down the bottom again.

OK, so here's a thought. Media commentators have said about us several times that we're reminiscent of GWS 5 years ago. Now, it's true that that's stupid, because we have about 3 top 10 picks on our list, and they have about 162, but still. What if we DID go full GWS?

Keep guys like Lester - highly professional, but B grade.
Trade Rocky, Rich and Zorko - they have trade value, but won't be with us when we're actually going to play finals. I'd expect top 10 picks for Zorko and Rocky, 1st rounder for Rich.
Keep D Beams because he has no trade value given his durability. Mitch Robbo may also have no trade value outside Brisbane.
Offer 1 year contracts to recent retirees. Coach/player roles, so leadership a requirement. Your James Kelly equivalents. Nicky Dal, Van Berlo, Boomer Harvey, Pav, Bartel, Enright, Malceski, hell - let's get Patfull back! They're the options from 2016. Who are the 2017 mob? No idea yet. If we can get 3 of them, we'll have the senior bodies to instruct and shield the youngens.
Go to the draft hard. High picks, and as many as we can from trading out >25yo players with any trade value.

Not saying it'll work, but at the rate we're going, I don't see that it's good for us or fair on them to keep Zorks, Rocky, and Rich around. At this stage, they'll retire right when we're looking for finals, and we'll be down the bottom again.
If we did it that way I would be going for the likes of Luke Hodge, Shaun Burgoyne, Jarrod McVeigh, Nick Riewoldt, Dale Morris, Kade Simpson, Tom Lonergan with a 3 year contract ie. 1 player/coach, 2 assistant coach.

I think the fact Rich is our most senior player is a worry.
Who would you get up to brissy anyway most of the players who retire want to go into media.

Who would you get up to brissy anyway most of the players who retire want to go into media.
I'd look for guys like Nick Dal Santo. He wants media work, but really, he didn't want to retire in the first place. Offer a lifeline to your shunted leaders. They don't even have to be amazing players - decent players with high leadership would do the job.

jason pm has a pretty good list above of guys who would likely be candidates this year.

I'd look for guys like Nick Dal Santo. He wants media work, but really, he didn't want to retire in the first place. Offer a lifeline to your shunted leaders. They don't even have to be amazing players - decent players with high leadership would do the job.

jason pm has a pretty good list above of guys who would likely be candidates this year.

Nick Dal Santo is supposed to be a leader?

They could pen a paragraph a week for the courier mails in depth AFL coverage;).

We would target players who are looking at a coaching career, working under Chris Fagan should be a selling point.

The differences between us and GWS
  • No draft concessions & free hits
  • No Salary concessions or millions outside the cap for marquee players
  • Sydney is closer to home and a more 'exciting' city with greater opportunity.
We don't have the allure nor means to attract top end, even if retired, talent, nor young top picks.
Trade for the picks? That gets you one year of picks and it's all up hill from there. Even GWS have lost a swag of talent to the 'go home' factor, which isn't going away for us any time soon.
A return of a retention allowance is likely the only solution for us to be successful. Even Fagan stated that we have to pay about 10% more to keep players up here. That's less to spend at the top end. We would have to reduce our list size to be able to pay another A grader.

The reason that the frustration is also compounded for us, ATM and the reason we are in a deep footy depression - is equalisation measures that started 3 years ago are now in full effect league wide. It is currently on display each round.. hows everyones tipping going? Theres only one sure thing each week when doing your tips, and thats our game. Everyone has improved and we are still yet to bridge that gap. We are now on our own when it comes to being crap - north, freo, GC, Dees, blues are all competitive, growing teams, the bottom 6 are genuinely tough teams, theres no reprieve. We normally are 1 of a group of 4 s*** teams, which offers some comfort, now we sit there on our own. The footy department spending gap between tge bottom and the top tier teams used to average 6.4m - it is now 800k - so we SHOULD eventually bridge that gap, however, this year we are still last by a mile.. and watching other formally diserpointing teams play equal to those in the top 4, consistently, makes this current point in time all the more frustrating. We aint out of the swamp yet, just gotter hold our nerve for another 12-24 months and hope like hell we don't have another exodus.

For all those who tip we are the one they can lock in :) Sad isn't it.

Well see what Fagan does at the end of the year..
Although seems some players locked in for a couple of years in the NEAFL :( Bell, Bastanic and Frost better get out of the crap form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back