Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
He looks the same ish height to brennan cox so id say logue must be in the 193-194 range. (But could be the hair giving the extra height) But to throw another spanner in the works, brennan cox said on talking dockers the other week that hes 194 atm not the listed 193 like the freo website, so chances are hes still growing as well.
I think Brennan should be standing a bit taller after his first 3 games of AFL.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
For the record allen is 192 atm, but probably is still growing. He was on afl 360 the other day and they asked him.

This is correct. Although the 'still growing' is just him hoping (and it was obvious on the show - he would know that being 3cm taller means he probably goes top 5). He may grow, but he may not.

I don't see Allen as anything like Cam or a 3rd tall. He's something like 194cm (he can't be 191cm like Twomey lists him) and no doubt he's still growing - and irrespective of height he plays like a primary KPF who controls the forward line from CHF. Uses his body with strong leads and is strong in the air more so than acrobatic (like Cam was in u18s - similar to Fyfe). I'd have no problem with him being the 2nd tall (even 1st if it came to that) in our line up as he has a presence about him. Kind of hoping Uebergang also gets a chance to become something similar.

We can hope Allen becomes our savior but if I were you I wouldn't get too invested in it. He has talent but we can't will him to be bigger or better than he is.

FWIW I think he will become a good AFL 3rd or maybe 2nd tall. Seems to have the mental traits required.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Like the look of Brander also.
With him and Cox going forward we could be pretty well set up.
Really like Naughton and Allen also but can't see us going for 2 talls with our first two picks unless either Hayes or Coleman-Jones test and interview well.
Brayshaw would be an awesome get, we need to turnover the mid sized midfielders like Sheridan and Sutcliffe, Brayshaw could really be a jet.
All the Brayshaw boys gave real ticker about them and if we are going to target a midfielder around the twenty to thirties I would go for him - skilful and loves a run.
It's saying the obvious but if we could get a trade into the second round we would have some serious options.
Trade down this years 1st - no thanks - but the cobblers may have a plan in mind again, you can't ignore last years picks and trades.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at how may KPP are rated in the top 25 in this draft I think it's fair to say that trading back into the 2nd round would be a priority for us in this draft as well as using our first pick on the best KF available.

Darcy is a gun but we would still want another ruck/forward to compliment him going forward (and presently we only have Apeess and Strnadica who are likely to still be here in 3 years time, and there's a huge question mark over both of them IMO). There are a couple of ruck/forwards rated in the 20-25 range in the list who would be a good target for our 2nd pick if we had one.
ZARKE says hello

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
ZARKE says hello

Zarke may never play again and in any case he's already 27, even if he does recover he's only got 2-3 seasons left in him with his injury history.

If we drafted a forward/ruck in this draft then they'd be 20-21 by the time Zarke retired which would be perfect timing really.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Zarke may never play again and in any case he's already 27, even if he does recover he's only got 2-3 seasons left in him with his injury history.

If we drafted a forward/ruck in this draft then they'd be 20-21 by the time Zarke retired which would be perfect timing really.
Exactly why we give him 1 more year. Nothing to lose really.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Watching Ian Hills video posted a couple pages ago tells me that kid is going top 3 next year, he is an extreme talent and unfortunately we have little chance of getting him. Will be a superstar

Watching Ian Hills video posted a couple pages ago tells me that kid is going top 3 next year, he is an extreme talent and unfortunately we have little chance of getting him. Will be a superstar

Why?
It's not like we are a quality team that isn't going to contend for top 5 picks.

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, California, USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
Reading about Jason Carter, it seems he won't be available for us to draft until 2018. Wonder if Oscar Allen will still be there at our turn and if he's worth taking the risk on, with our Rd 1 pick.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Kind of hoping Uebergang also gets a chance to become something similar.
Generally interested... I see Uber get pumped up a fair bit on this board but as far as I'm aware he's been injured a large portion of his time here. Was he super impressive when he first came to the club? I don't really have an opinion on him because I've not seen him but he seems like he has that "potential" to be a solid player.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reading about Jason Carter, it seems he won't be available for us to draft until 2018. Wonder if Oscar Allen will still be there at our turn and if he's worth taking the risk on, with our Rd 1 pick.

He would have to do some unreal combine testing and/or kick consistent bags of 5+ in WAFL seniors to be anywhere near pick ~5. No chance.

For me, no unless we trade down.

That would be beyond daft. He is the same height as Kersten or MGov and smaller than Cam. There are a couple actual KPF available this year.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Will Sutherland is an athletic 195cm tall forward with strong hands and a decent enough kicking action. Only seen limited vision but my guess is he has a good vertical leap. To highlight the athleticism he played midfield for a bit in the last U18s game.

My understanding is that he has done essentially no pre-season training (unlike other draft prospects - say Brander) so plsying well given that though is also a bit behind in the footy education and possibly relying too much at this stage on his athleticsm. This means he will take some more time to develop compared to say again Brander.

Played in a very aggressive manner in the two U18 games - very much in his opponent's face; seems to have a very competitive streak.

On Oscar Allen - will go somewhere between pick 15 - 35 IMO. We would only have a chance if we traded into the second round.

Assuming we didn't take a tall first round, a better bet for the third round would be Hugh Dixon. 195cm tasmanian key forward who also rucked a bit at U18s but took some strong marks and kicked some goals (has a good kicking action). Already quite well built; probably question marks about his speed but you could do a lot worse.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Saw footage of Hugh dixon , remind me of a taller version of Blair bell and shorter version of apeness. Will be extremely happy if he wear purple.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Generally interested... I see Uber get pumped up a fair bit on this board but as far as I'm aware he's been injured a large portion of his time here. Was he super impressive when he first came to the club? I don't really have an opinion on him because I've not seen him but he seems like he has that "potential" to be a solid player.
He's a smokey to make it. Most of us that have seen a bit of him at Peel really liked what we saw. He's very quick for a big guy (I'd be surprised if he wasn't the quickest of our bigs) and has pretty much all the required athletic traits. The discipline he has shown during his rehab should hopefully earn him an extension but who knows what FFC are thinking? He's really built himself into a strong unit so he definitely looks more a KPF candidate than a KPD imo (he played KPF at WAFL before his injury so no surprise really). But you could say all that about Taberner, so until we get to see him playing AFL it's hard to know, and even then consistency will be the key. I don't see any reason to delist him - he'll recover fully from the injury, and our KPF cupboard is bare so an extra year for a speculative seems reasonable to me.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Why have people gone off Fogarty?

As Chris25 has argued, people seeing him as a number 1 pick were probably always over-inflating his position. The two main negatives:

1. What position does he play at AFL? He is basically the same size as Cam McCarthy so he may struggle against Key Defenders. He has great evasion and power that adds to a midfield case but doesn't get much of the ball and is often out of position. Has looked good on the HBF, but for the pick value that he was originally being suggested that is a lot to pay for that type of player in a draft where there are true midfielders that are really good.

2. Had a poor U18 championships - the last game he was on the field most of the day and only had 4 possessions. Rumoured that he was playing injured. Kicked goals in other games and still has a good highlights package on Youtube though.

Ad Chris25 said (in fact warned early on in the season) if you thought he was top 3 you were probably going to be dissappointed. Having said that he has been playing SANFL seniors against men, he still has his agility, power and kicking, football brain and aggressive intent. Potential there in spades.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saw footage of Hugh dixon , remind me of a taller version of Blair bell and shorter version of apeness. Will be extremely happy if he wear purple.
This draft isn't too bad for talls, should be some value later on, and will be interesting to see who the bolters are.
The combine results can make a huge difference, I think Logue's results had a bearing on our decision.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Back