Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Chris25, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Gussman

Gussman Team Captain

Fremantle
    Oct 14, 2016
    I'm not saying we should draft Allen and I doubt he's as good as Pav. I'm saying we don't necessarily have to draft someone of a certain height.

Personally I'm hoping we draft Darcy Fogarty. Could become an extremely deadly combo with Fyfe, with the two of them rotating through midfield and the forwardline. He really has the potential to be a matchup nightmare that can play tall or short. Could easily play 3 traditional talls next to him as he isn't exactly a tall forward. One of them will have a mismatch and then we exploit that hole. Not many defences could handle this as a forwardline:

Bennell - McCarthy - Fogarty/Fyfe
    Walters - Apeness/A.Pearce/Taberner/Strnadica - Uebergang/Kersten/Cox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    Agree , forgarty help a lot with structure especially when fyfe been tag and move forward you can move forgarty there to help out the mid. Currently ,Kersten or cam Mac just don't have the versatility to play other role.

3. Joao

Joao Club Legend

Fremantle
    May 2, 2017
    QLD
    Yeah fair enough.

I think we can definitely get away with a Hybrid forward line as long as we have some contested marking targets. We need 2 or 3 genuine options (Fyfe is 1) to bomb it to down the line. They don't all have to kick bags of goals (that would be nice though) as long as they contribute in some other way.

This is why Ape, Nads, New ruck/forward are so important if we don't have a genuine KPF. Someone to clunk a few and take the best defender. Then at least one of Cam, Kersten, Fyfe, Fogarty (or similar) get a favourable match up.

Freomaniac, fnerd and eastfreo75 like this.
  4. tonygeeks

tonygeeks All Australian

Fremantle
    Sep 11, 2016
    Ahh Gary Ablett and his 100 goal seasons and 9 goals from a wing might have something to say about that all round business

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

5. stax on the mull

stax on the mull Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Matildas
    Dec 26, 2010
    I heard on radio this morning that an East Fremantle player called Dillon O'Reilly currently leading the goalkicking in the WAFL colts is the son of Stephen O'Reilly who played 98 of his 146 AFL games for Fremantle.

a) any chance of being drafted and b) any father/son eligibility?

6. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    A) yes - Tundrawolf know a lot about him
    B) No

7. gaskin

gaskin Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    LFC, Glory, Wests, Seahawks
    Aug 19, 2009
    On board the Cam train
    He is 2 games short of father/son as it is 100 games for eligibility.

8. stax on the mull

stax on the mull Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Matildas
    Dec 26, 2010
    OK...I found it Page 23

9. Tayl0r

Tayl0r Moderator

Fremantle
    Jul 16, 2009
    Perth
    A top five pick could can get us a quick, long running, elite ball user.

The sort of player who can play half back to half forward.

Like Darcy Tucker.

jerms likes this.
  10. tonygeeks

tonygeeks All Australian

Fremantle
    Sep 11, 2016
    And why we should give Daniel Pearce 1 more game , you never know maybe his missus wears the pants and has bred a bit of agro into the youngsters

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

11. Hazelsnuts

Hazelsnuts Senior List

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    North Beach. AIK Stockholm
    Sep 17, 2016
    The beach
    If Tucker and/or Balic were to leave what does anyone think would be adequate compo for uncontracted promising mids.
    I really hope we keep them both but there is a possibility that we could lose them.
    Langdon also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    My prediction are one or two will be sign together with fyfe extension .

13. IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Feb 8, 2010
    Perth
    Don't pre season and state games count towards requirements despite not being League matches? Surely he played in the old Anset Cup or something. Or they even had state games back then?

14. gaskin

gaskin Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    LFC, Glory, Wests, Seahawks
    Aug 19, 2009
    On board the Cam train
    Not from what I can see from a quick Google search.

15. fnerd

fnerd All Australian

Fremantle
    Aug 23, 2009
    perth
    Haha..if the kids as good as tundra thinks/keeps up this development wouldn't hurt to try it on tho!

16. masai

masai Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Rottnest
    Jan 18, 2002
    A bay at Rotto
    Playing for East Fremantle will make him tainted, should be father / son at the Black Ducks, alot better career path.

Swan Districts Kid likes this.
  17. Tundrawolf

Tundrawolf Club Legend

Fremantle
    Feb 1, 2007
    The Den
    Dillon is good overhead and when in the midfield attacks the ball hard. Has a bit of mongrel or lack of discipline about him. Was sent off in the schools GF against Emmanuel College. Was awarded the medal for the most consistent player of the winning team throughout the competition.

The state academy rate him pretty highly.

fnerd and meima like this.
  18. blue shark

blue shark Club Legend

Fremantle
    Aug 15, 2009
    perth
    If we don't do a deal with our top pick like last year, the player you are describing is our Academy
    player, so just have to wait for a year, and I would take the best tall if available.
    Also our kids are developing faster than anyone expected, the natural growth in their games is already
    on display.
    Guys like Blakey, Tucker, Hughes, Weller, Darcy, are having break out years, have put the seniors out
    to pasture, and there are more on the sidelines.
    If we can manage our injuries better, the list is in pretty good shape with players under 26.
    Bennell, Balic, if he stays, Langdon, A Pearce, all would be best 22 if fit.

19. Cobbler

Cobbler Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Jul 7, 2014
    If we need to draft a tall we'll have a few options around pick 5-10.

Jarrod Brander 195cm
    Sam Hayes 203cm
    Callum Coleman Jones 199cm
    Connor Ballenden 199cm
    Noah Balta 194cm

Those blokes all listed in Knightmares July top 10. Even more specifically right in our pick range between picks 5-10.

Personally I'm not sold on a top pick for a tall BUT it doesn't seem a 'reach' with a few of these guys listed in our range.

The ruck/forward in Sam Hayes could be the one we'd specifically need and target?

20. Chris25

Chris25 Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
    Oct 30, 2007
    Adelaide
    His top 10 is well off, as bad as some of his player comparisons. Coleman-Jones and Balta are barely top 30 prospects.

21. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2004
    Bali
    Chris, I see you took Fogarty. If we end up with a higher pick would he still be your selection?

22. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2004
    Bali
    Brander and Hayes the 2 to look out for there. A little unconvincing for me. Also complicated as I love the look of the WA talls that will present as options later. I know the group think says don't trade down, but Clark/Dow/Worpell and Naughton/Allen/Taylor/Krueger, we would be creating some options.

UFO Tatsu and Tundrawolf like this.
  23. Joao

Joao Club Legend

Fremantle
    May 2, 2017
    QLD
    I would be happy with Brander or at a stretch Hayes with our first. The rest I would be concerned based on what I have seen and/or read.

24. Cobbler

Cobbler Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Jul 7, 2014
    No worries Chris.

A fair bit to play out and player movements change frequently. Will Brodie was touted as number 1 by many right up until the draft and went at what again?

I notice in your selections you have a few talls, so basically what I'm saying is if we want a tall and we have say pick 5-10, then we should be able to grab one that suits a need.

Where as last year we kinda wanted a tall but it was going to be a reach plucking Tim English at an early pick or even Marshall. Maybe Logue was a reach too?

25. Freomaniac

Freomaniac Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
    May 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Not a bad forward line. Essentially a 5 man forward line with a rotating mid.

Gutted Apeness is injured and Strnadica is only in his 1st year.

History shows one thing... When Freo has a 1st rounder, things and predictions are.... unexpected

Ysaye likes this.