Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it is not a popular opinion, but I think we will still be bottom 5 next year. Our upturn will be 2019 onward IMO and I think it will be quite dramatic.
I really don't mind if that is the case , conclusion .
1) don't go crazy to get Mitch ( top 8 is not a priority)
2) cut deep so there is excuses that the team is inexperienced ( out go MJ,)
3) spurr and d.pearce play minimum AfL matches . D.pearce already done so
4) get some B rookies .

Last edited:
I know it is not a popular opinion, but I think we will still be bottom 5 next year. Our upturn will be 2019 onward IMO and I think it will be quite dramatic.

That's what I'm expecting too. When you put a whole lot of young guys in you'll experience a time around the bottom 4.

It's what you do during trade/draft time each season that counts.

That's what I'm expecting too. When you put a whole lot of young guys in you'll experience a time around the bottom 4.

It's what you do during trade/draft time each season that counts.
Exactly my thoughts.

It is going to be a bit painful on the Melts and Ross threads on here because no doubt others will think we should be kicking 100+ pts per game on the way to a top 4/8 finish at a minimum but the reality is rebuilds take time.

Even allowing for the fact that Oscar is undersized for a KPF? He would cost our first you would think at this stage.

Agree Hill looks the balls though.

I don't really get this whole undersized thing. As examples, Hogan, Cameron all mid 195... Oscar at 193 and possibly more to come. What my mate loves about him is his leading patterns and absolutely quality and just knows how to make space and get the ball to him. Pav is 192 too :)

Hill next year somehow.... would make that team and with Carter.

He also doesn't really rate naughton that highly... kicking debatable

Allen colt form is not setting wafl on fire , with west Perth going well with kietal and swing man rodda I doubt he will get a chance .

Who is the ideal candidate for third rd pick ,

1) tim Kelly ( should be gone)
2) Jake Patmore
3) Adam sambono
4) Hugh dixon

Depends what we get with our first two picks. I rate Sambono and Dixon better than the other two.

Oscar Allen played Reserves not Colts last week and had a very good game 20+ possessions 8 marks and a goal.

I thought last week against Perth playing reserve.

13 disposal , 1.1 ,5 mark hardly impressive but I got a strong feeling he might end up with eagles .

There is another Allen there .
Screenshot_2017-07-27-23-16-14-054_air.au.com.wafl.app.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends if it is a snip or a fix.

Cutting off the broken tissue, that is already no longer doing it's job and doesn't have a blood supply so it won't heal, is a fairly quick recovery - talking 2-4 weeks.

Repairing, putting in a stitch, on a deeper into the knee portion that has a blood supply and will heal takes much longer to recover from. Twice as long if you need a number.
Is it something he could have been carrying for awhile? His form this year has been below expectations.

13 disposal , 1.1 ,5 mark hardly impressive but I got a strong feeling he might end up with eagles .

View attachment 396821

Ah yes you are right - might have been another player's stats I remembered. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure that is his first game in the reserves; if he is playing there he is closer to playing league than if he is playing colts.

Is it something he could have been carrying for awhile? His form this year has been below expectations.
You can carry them for a long time. They hurt, they weep into the joint causing swelling which hurts more and lingers.

Knee soreness is soul crushing. You will spend all game feeling it get worse and worse only to try and ice it down to hopefully be as good as it was at the start of the week before the next game to go around again.

The good news is that once the inflammation goes from from the scope the soreness disappears and it feels like new.

View attachment 396821
At 34 years of age what the hell is Matt Guadigan doing still still playing reserves level footy in the WAFL :huh:

I don't really get this whole undersized thing. As examples, Hogan, Cameron all mid 195... Oscar at 193 and possibly more to come. What my mate loves about him is his leading patterns and absolutely quality and just knows how to make space and get the ball to him. Pav is 192 too :)

Hill next year somehow.... would make that team and with Carter.

He also doesn't really rate naughton that highly... kicking debatable
Size is just a mechanism to get an advantage. Speed and smarts are the other. Oscar didn't seem to have the first two at the champs. I am not suggesting that players of 192cm (which is what Oscar said himself) can't be good players, just that they probably can't play as the main KPF. They are giving away size and strength to most AFL key defenders.

Pav was fairly unique and talented too. If he is tracking to be like Pav then obviously you take him. That said, if he is no way he is getting to pick 5.

For the record if they call him out in November I won't be disappointed as our recruiters will have done their homework. We need a no1 forward and if that is Oscar then I'll back him to the hilt.

I'm hoping this year we can go:
1st round- Brander or Fogarty
2nd pick- Patemore
3rd pick- small fwd

2018 draft
1st pick- Hill
Academy selection- Carter

I'm hoping this year we can go:
1st round- Brander or Fogarty
2nd pick- Patemore
3rd pick- small fwd

2018 draft
1st pick- Hill
Academy selection- Carter
For all the talk on Hill, how the hell are we going to get him unless we stink it up next year? We would have to win less
than five games, and even then the SA boys willl be tempting.
Id prefer to win as many games as possible, and let the rest sort itself out, besides other clubs have stayed on top without
tanking.

For all the talk on Hill, how the hell are we going to get him unless we stink it up next year? We would have to win less
than five games, and even then the SA boys willl be tempting.
Id prefer to win as many games as possible, and let the rest sort itself out, besides other clubs have stayed on top without
tanking.
I'm not suggesting we tank at all i just think we will be finishing down the bottom of the ladder again. We will still be pumping games in to young players so i can imagine we will finish down in the bottom half a dozen of teams again next year. I can also see Hill slide a little bit down the drfat order as he is a small forward at this stage so unless he can show potential in the midfield next year i can't see him going top 5. On top of that the SA kid in Rankine looks like a fantastic small forward propsect also.

Size is just a mechanism to get an advantage. Speed and smarts are the other. Oscar didn't seem to have the first two at the champs. I am not suggesting that players of 192cm (which is what Oscar said himself) can't be good players, just that they probably can't play as the main KPF. They are giving away size and strength to most AFL key defenders.

Pav was fairly unique and talented too. If he is tracking to be like Pav then obviously you take him. That said, if he is no way he is getting to pick 5.

For the record if they call him out in November I won't be disappointed as our recruiters will have done their homework. We need a no1 forward and if that is Oscar then I'll back him to the hilt.

This what I've been eluding to previously.
Allen has proved to be very consistent throughout his underage football - tick
Won the Larke Medal - tick
Key forward in my opinion - tick
Has tank, speed and agility - tick
Good kick - tick
WA boy - tick
Boom!

Really hope we could get him after our first pick- somehow with a 20+ pick unless he shortens like Logue last year.
Really want to use the top 5 pick on a an absolute standout gun.
Need a pick after 4/5 to get him though, unless we rate him higher. Only the cobblers can answer that one.

Still reckon though if Brander is there early we take him.
If we could get both it could set us up for years as Brander is a real Swingman capable at both ends.

Sambono and or Patmore later as others have said. What's their draft range?

Grab Hill and Carter next year, a lot of needs could be filled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back