Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rory Obrien on radio said Naughton is the best young league debutant he has seen. Commented on his great his work ethic , marking and reading of the play. Said if you want to see him in a Peel jumper get to a game this season because he won't be in a Peel jumper again. Why we wouldn't take an 18 year old home grown tall who has the potential to be a better mark/player than both the McGoverns is beyond me. This talk about our first round pick for McGovern or a Vic youngster with go home possibilities instead of Naughton is hard to follow.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
You win some you lose some , nothing against Naughton but freo got greater need in other area.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rory Obrien on radio said Naughton is the best young league debutant he has seen. Commented on his great his work ethic , marking and reading of the play. Said if you want to see him in a Peel jumper get to a game this season because he won't be in a Peel jumper again. Why we wouldn't take an 18 year old home grown tall who has the potential to be a better mark/player than both the McGoverns is beyond me. This talk about our first round pick for McGovern or a Vic youngster with go home possibilities instead of Naughton is hard to follow.

100% bang on

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
As with all phantom drafters, it is just knightmare's opinion from what he has seen. He suggested we take Ben Brown and we didn't. He also suggested we take Membrey and we didn't. He gets his share right.

His power rankings are generally very accurate. Very few if any phantoms get close and if they do, they certainly can't back it up the following year.

If Knightmare is rating Naughton as a top 10 talent then I tend to believe that he's a top 10 talent and the Peel guys tend to back that up, so I don't know what the issue is?

mr robot

Debutant
Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't discount there being a few Melbourne based teams being very interested in him. He's from Melbourne so minimal go home factor for them. But he is a Collingwood fan though...

This may be why he is being rated higher now.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
His power rankings are generally very accurate. Very few if any phantoms get close and if they do, they certainly can't back it up the following year.

If Knightmare is rating Naughton as a top 10 talent then I tend to believe that he's a top 10 talent and the Peel guys tend to back that up, so I don't know what the issue is?

Naughton has surpassed anything Pearce did in his stint at Peel.

I wouldn't discount there being a few Melbourne based teams being very interested in him. He's from Melbourne so minimal go home factor for them. But he is a Collingwood fan though...

This may be why he is being rated higher now.
He moved here when he was 8.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Agree. I just take it for what it is. Not a professional recruiter who watches footy giving an opinion. He does a lot of close watching and gives me info I otherwise wouldn't get.

May 7, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Agree. I just take it for what it is. Not a professional recruiter who watches footy giving an opinion. He does a lot of close watching and gives me info I otherwise wouldn't get.
Exactly, he does a good job of giving the people some info. He gives an opinion on an opinion based website. Good on him I reckon. I like reading all of those drafters opinions. I don't get why people slate other people's view, just enjoy the diverse range of opinions and then form your own.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Top 10 is hardly something set in stone until the draft has been completed. Every draft has its fair share of Hill versus Rich (or Balic, Darling etc). I also don't give full credence to the motto that you should always go best available, even in the top 10 picks. I fully expect that Richmond rated Tambling and Fiora as best available, or at worst had them more or less valued the same as Pavlich and Franklin.

The other thing is that I really don't think 17/18 year olds are locked into the positions they played as juniors, especially talls. With the changes that go through their bodies all sorts of capabilities emerge. Is it really a surprise that someone who grows 15-20 cms in a short space of time may have kicking issues (and I do think kicking is coachable, at least to an extent. Marking less so).

My main issue with Naughton is that I think you don't need pick 5 to grab him, and would be keen to get something in addition by downgrading/trading that pick, especially to a team looking at Brander.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Thee other thing I really like about him and the other phantoms is that they answer questions and engage in the debate.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Maybe 4th rd pick ?

http://footyprophet.com/ttac-cup-scouting-notes-round-15-rebels-storm-home-stun-bushies/

JORDAN JOHNSTON | GWV | FWD/MID | 9-9-99 | 184CM | 76KG

Having been used mostly as a small forward during his TAC Cup career, Johnston was given the opportunity to strut his stuff as a midfielder on Sunday and didn’t disappoint. He had 18 disposals and wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty, with 11 contested possessions and 7 tackles. While he did his best work in-and-under the packs, he remained a goal threat, with a snap out of congestion at the 22-minute mark of the last quarter producing the game’s only lead change.

JORDON BUTTS | MURRAY | FWD | 31-12-99 | 195CM | 80KG
Butts showed flashes as an athletic marking target across half-forward for Murray, but the combination of sub-par delivery in the wind and solid defensive effort from the under-sized Flynn Appleby kept him from exerting too much influence on the game. Still, Butts’ athleticism at 195cm makes him an intriguing draft prospect. He will have the opportunity to show off his athletic traits at the national combine.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Maybe 4th rd pick ?

http://footyprophet.com/ttac-cup-scouting-notes-round-15-rebels-storm-home-stun-bushies/

Having been used mostly as a small forward during his TAC Cup career, Johnston was given the opportunity to strut his stuff as a midfielder on Sunday and didn’t disappoint. He had 18 disposals and wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty, with 11 contested possessions and 7 tackles. While he did his best work in-and-under the packs, he remained a goal threat, with a snap out of congestion at the 22-minute mark of the last quarter producing the game’s only lead change.

Butts showed flashes as an athletic marking target across half-forward for Murray, but the combination of sub-par delivery in the wind and solid defensive effort from the under-sized Flynn Appleby kept him from exerting too much influence on the game. Still, Butts’ athleticism at 195cm makes him an intriguing draft prospect. He will have the opportunity to show off his athletic traits at the national combine.

I cannot lie, I like big Butts. I don't think the rest of you can deny feeling the same way.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe 4th rd pick ?

We have to add, look at several players that can help forward/mid, JJ, Kelly, Fasolo, its not just about finding a KPF.
We need a fresh new look to the forward line, and replacements for Balla, Walters, Balic?
JJ should be in the mix.

Back