Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I would want us to go with whoever we value as the best non-vic player, rather than the 5th best Vic player. Right now thats looking like either D.Fogarty or Brander. Either of which I would be happy with.

Do have a nagging feeling that Fogarty will carry some go home factor though.

Personally I would want us to go with whoever we value as the best non-vic player, rather than the 5th best Vic player. Right now thats looking like either D.Fogarty or Brander. Either of which I would be happy with.

We have had great retention from SA, Vic Country players, but Vic Metro? I think even Harley Balic
was from metro?
Nailed the ruckman pick last year, and going by his maturity, family, seems like a ripper person.

Looking at Brayshaw's highlights he reminds me of Cotchin, dont know if thats becuase of the number 9 on his back and dark hair. But he seemsw to be able to get the ball in a contest and break away from it so he must have reasonable pace and he is very clean with his hands. Definitely would not be angry if we got him

Looking at Brayshaw's highlights he reminds me of Cotchin, dont know if thats becuase of the number 9 on his back and dark hair. But he seemsw to be able to get the ball in a contest and break away from it so he must have reasonable pace and he is very clean with his hands. Definitely would not be angry if we got him
Has a beautiful kick as well for an inside player, not to mention he definitely has a footballers brain, honestly looking at his highlights and stats I'm not sure why he isn't being touted as a top 5 pick.

Has a beautiful kick as well for an inside player, not to mention he definitely has a footballers brain, honestly looking at his highlights and stats I'm not sure why he isn't being touted as a top 5 pick.

I agree. its been baffling me for weeks. I think if Angus was slightly better, and to a lesser extent Hamish, he'd be rated a lot higher.

I think Andrew had a late start because of injury during the championships, so it might have been out of sight....He stood out though when he played in the later games. He was really impressive. Did most of the basics very well. It quickly became obvious he was a very good talent.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/21/afl-all-star-squads-unveiled/

NAB AFL Under-18 All Stars

Saturday September 30, 10am, MCG

Team Enright
1 Dylan Moore – Eastern Ranges
2 Lachlan Fogarty – Western Jets
3 Patrick Naish – Northern Knights
4 Matthew Ling – Geelong Falcons
5 Matthew McGannon – Gippsland Power
6 Brayden Ainsworth – Subiaco
7 Andrew Brayshaw – Sandringham Dragons
8 Jack Petruccelle – Northern Knights
9 Gryan Miers – Geelong Falcons
10 Joel Garner – Eastern Ranges
21 Jordan Houlahan – Sturt
22 Hunter Clark – Dandenong Stingrays
23 Nicholas Shipley – St George
24 James Worpel – Geelong Falcons
25 Bailey Henderson – Bendigo Pioneers
26 Nicholas Coffield – Northern Knights
27 Oscar Allen – West Perth
28 Mitchell Podhajski – Calder Cannons
29 Jordan Butts – Murray Bushrangers
30 Noah Balta – Calder Cannons
31 Harrison Petty – Norwood
32 Sam Hayes – Eastern Ranges
33 Sam Taylor – Swan District
34 Lloyd Meek – GWV Rebels
35 Ned Reeves – Oakleigh Chargers

Team Harvey
1 Brent Daniels – Bendigo Pioneers
2 Jack Higgins – Oakleigh Chargers
3 Ben Paton – Murray Bushrangers
4 Alex Martini – Glenelg
5 Zac Bailey – Southern District
6 Ryley Stoddart – Eastern Ranges
7 David Handley – Geelong Falcons
8 Ed Richards – Oakleigh Chargers
9 Lochie O’Brien – Bendigo Pioneers
10 Luke Davis-Uniacke – Dandenong Stingrays
21 Matthew Day – Oakleigh Chargers
22 Brandon Starcevich – East Perth
23 Jaidyn Stephenson – Eastern Ranges
24 Jackson Ross – Eastern Ranges
25 Jack Payne – Noosa
26 Nathan Murphy – Sandringham Dragons
27 Aiden Bonar – Dandenong Stingrays
28 Oscar Clavarino – Sandenong Stingrays
29 Jarrod Brander – Bendigo Pioneers
30 Hayden McLean – Sandringham Dragons
31 Charlie Ballard – Sturt
32 Hugh Dixon – Kingsborough Tigers
33 Ben Miller – Subiaco
34 Brayden Crossley – Labrador Tigers
35 Connor Ballenden – Wests Juniors

Last edited:
Jeez if you are young footballer from WA who wants to be dtafted your best chance is moving to Victoria.
There are 3 playing in this game.I assume Naughton would have been picked if not for the WAFL grand final this weekend.
If we get more than 4-5 in the top 40 of the draft I would be pretty surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 3 playing in this game.I assume Naughton would have been picked if not for the WAFL grand final this weekend.
The only one I am 100% sure is going top 40 is Naughton. The rest could all fall out easily enough. Of course it could end up being 5 if Taylor, Allen, Patmore etc get taken inside but it is entirely plausible that they are all 40+ picks.

I don't think this is a conspiracy, we just don't have the talent this year.

The only one I am 100% sure is going top 40 is Naughton. The rest could all fall out easily enough. Of course it could end up being 5 if Taylor, Allen, Patmore etc get taken inside but it is entirely plausible that they are all 40+ picks.

I don't think this is a conspiracy, we just don't have the talent this year.
How could you tell? WA won all but one game at the carnival. You would have thought a few more would get an opportunity to impress. But they don't even get that. 6 players at Eastern Rangers better than every kid in WA?

Reckon if Oscar Allen has grown a couple of centimetres (literally 2cms) and shows a bit in this game we will look closely at him early on. Lloyd's comments about focusing on fwds and mids has buoyed me on the prospect of an "attacking" draft.

How could you tell? WA won all but one game at the carnival. You would have thought a few more would get an opportunity to impress. But they don't even get that. 6 players at Eastern Rangers better than every kid in WA?
Put it this way. The AFL is a highly competitive business. If it were a genuine conspiracy to not select WA players that are worthy then you can bet your bottom dollar that clubs would scout and draft them anyway to try and get an advantage. I have 100% faith that clubs act in their own best interests and as a result, the draft pretty accurately reflects the relative ability of the players. MOST of the good players come from the top 20-40 (with some notable exceptions).

Also worth considering positions. Some WA player might be the 28th best player, but 4 of the top 27 play his position and he doesn't get a game because they can't shoehorn them all in.

In short, we will know if WA players have been shafted for this game at the draft (ie if 7 WA boys go top 40 or whatever). At which point it becomes irrelevant anyway because they got drafted.

Ainsworth
Oscar Allen
Sam Taylor
Brandon Starcevich
Ben Miller

I get 5 playing plus Naughton possibly playing with Peel

In underage U17 game I get

Sydney Stack
Dillon OReily
Jarrod Cameron
Xavier Peacock

Thinking of watching the Colts GF on Sunday. O'Reilly and Joyce playing for EF, and Patmore, England and Morgan playing for Claremont. Pity Carter isn't playing :( Probably skip the Reserves game and head back to watch Peel.

Naughton will be first round

Allen and Taylor second round

Patmore, and Kelly third round.

That's 5 players in the top 50.[/QUOTE]

Ainsworth and Starcevich will go close. They would seem to be better that pick 60 for example

Fogarty is the one for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back