Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Still don't think Ryan will get drafted, maybe to Port but a 184cm leading marking forward with no strings to his bow probably won't make it at AFL level

Still don't think Ryan will get drafted, maybe to Port but a 184cm leading marking forward with no strings to his bow probably won't make it at AFL level

Depends how he went in the yoyo, apparently ok according to afl.com.

Probably a lot will hinge on the behind the scenes discussions recruiters will have had with the people around him, if they say he is professional and driven, and his running results were ok, he will definitely get picked up.

I wouldn't mind a hardnut.

Brandon Starcevich, East Perth

Starcevich isn’t the most highly-skilled draft prospect in the WAFL colts system, but what he lacks in that area he makes up for with grit and determination.

A contested-ball beast, the East Perth youngster made his mark at the championships with his work in the forward line, bobbing up when needed to throw his weight around.

His last game was easily his best, helping WA get to the line with 22 touches, eight tackles and five clearances.

If a club needs polish, he may not be their man. But Starcevich’s hunger for the contest, a key factor in many clubs’ recruiting strategies, cannot be denied.
Player Focus

Playing a pivotal role in Western Australia winning their third of four Under-18 Championships game, the nephew of Collingwood's Craig Starcevich, Brandon Starcevich, 187cm, 88kg, helped the Western Australian midfield get on top. Starcevich gathered 22 disposals, 14 contested possessions, eight tackles, five clearances and one score assist.

What first jumps out at you with Starcevich is his power in the contest. He wins the ball at the goal face but also delivers a powerful "don't argue" and will barge through tackles with force and if unable to break the tackle, handball to a target without going to ground.

His courage was also notable, keeping his eyes on the ball, running forward with the flight, taking the mark and having the strength to hold onto the mark as he got hit hard.

The other impressive element against Victoria Country was his ball use. Nine of Starcevich's twelve kicks were effective, with a combination of long kicks and short kicks where he lowering his eyes and hit the target.

Starcevich may feature this year mid-draft as a powerful ball winning midfielder who can rest up forward.

I'm missing something with Starcevich. I've found him very underwhelming from what I've seen.

Maybe because he was given most of the unspectacular inside grunt work to do....but his ball outs and foot passing were generally very good i thought. He won't be there for our late picks anyway.

I'd prefer Ainsworth to Starcevich myself.

I really do hope Ryan gets a go. The game needs more excitement and spectacular highlights. I just don't want him at Freo.

I can see WC being very attracted to Schloithe. In fact Schloithe would be a better option than Starcevich.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Ainsworth to Starcevich myself.

I really do hope Ryan gets a go. The game needs more excitement and spectacular highlights. I just don't want him at Freo.

I can see WC being very attracted to Schloithe.
Ainsworth does nothing for me. Seems a bit too slow and vanilla - was actually thinking West Coast might take him with their 2nd rounder. I think he's a better player than Starcevich atm but I think Starcevich has more to work with (would consider him as a rookie if he's still around).

Schloithe absolutely needs to get a go with WC. They should be looking at all the midfielders at WAFL level :)

Looks like I'll need to change the players I've been looking at. Early thoughts are it'll free us up to take Naughton at #5, and go midfield at #2.
Exactly my thought. Best available mid at 2 and Naughton at 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My very quick thoughts on the draft order...

Pick 1 - Brisbane

Rumour has it that Paddy Dow is the favourite of the Lions, and he's the one I hope they go with only because I wouldn't be too fussed about missing out on him. Versatile midfielder with speed. He's a Country boy that will appeal to Brisbane.

Pick 2 - Fremantle

For me, it's Luke Davies-Uniacke here. He's the best pure midfielder in the draft, and a genuine inside midfielder at 187cm and 85kg. He'd walk into our starting midfield and take over from Mundy. And just like the Brisbane pick, he's another Vic Country kid. Rayner and Cerra would be options, but it'd depend on the interviews and whether they'd go back home early on.

Pick 3 - Carlton

They'd likely either go Adam Cerra or Cameron Rayner, as best available. Depends on whether they want a genuine midfielder or another versatile half forward/midfielder.

Pick 4 - North Melbourne

Adam Cerra, Cameron Rayner or maybe Jaidyn Stephenson. Depends who is available I think, they'll take whoever slides

Pick 5 - Fremantle

I do think getting a top 2 pick frees us up with this pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take Aaron Naughton or Sam Hayes, think they'd be more likely than Darcy Fogarty or Jarrod Brander personally. Or we could back up Davies-Uniacke with another midfielder. Maybe Jaidyn Stephenson or Andrew Brayshaw, as more outside options with some run.

Can we really say that LDU is country lad? He's from Rye and it's pretty much solid houses all the way from there back to the CBD these days. I suppose with it being a 1.5 hour drive he wouldn't have grown up being used to popping out down to Lygon Street for lunch...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back