Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy is not great IMO. A lot of selections that don't make sense (not just Freo either, heaps of clubs).

In terms of draft watchers...I'd say Bishop/Matt probably watches the most and by going to more TAC Cup matches, has spoken to actual scouts. He can be a bit self important though. KM, I think provides good summaries of what other people are saying but doesn't actually have any inside word himself. He does the googling for you which is handy. Neither would have seen anything outside of Victoria.

Like him or not, Cal Twomey does at least speak to clubs and people involved with the clubs.

There have actually been a couple of BigFooty posters picked up as scouts. So naturally they don't put up their rankings on here anymore. There is one interesting draft ratings thread on the phantom board though...

In terms of draft watchers...I'd say Bishop/Matt probably watches the most and by going to more TAC Cup matches, has spoken to actual scouts. He can be a bit self important though. KM, I think provides good summaries of what other people are saying but doesn't actually have any inside word himself. He does the googling for you which is handy. Neither would have seen anything outside of Victoria.

Like him or not, Cal Twomey does at least speak to clubs and people involved with the clubs.

There have actually been a couple of BigFooty posters picked up as scouts. So naturally they don't put up their rankings on here anymore. There is one interesting draft ratings thread on the phantom board though...
Haha i do love how frank you are with the other more serious draft watchers Chris. Having just got into following it more this year im sad Quigley couldnt do one this year, had Cox at 12 last year and seems pretty clued on from his ratings last year. Plus i could waste almost a whole afternoon at work reading his novel

Fit but not fast.
He plays more than as a deep forward. It sounds like he will be able to contribute up the ground as well. This is what someone said about Walters when he was in his draft year
Athleticism – 5.5/10

- Pace is below average – instincts/RT make him seem quicker than he actually is, but over distances greater than 5m he is 'ruckman' slow

- Lateral movement is good – has a very nice sidestep and moves through traffic very well.

- He runs both hard and smart (covers ground better than you would expect)

- Wouldn't expect beep tests or 3km runs to be a strong point of his (didn't test at 2008 DC) - has mentioned his endurance as an area of his game he finds weak/would particularly like to improve.

- Vertical leap is below average

- Slippery/elusive, but lacks power and strength

- Well balanced – keeps his feet very well under contested pressure in traffic

Ok so I've updated my draft board for one final time before we take none of these names come draft day...
  • Given we have #2 I still think the potential upside of Fogarty @ #5 is too high not to take a chance but a genuine mid like Cerra or Brayshaw instead would still keep our list pretty balanced if we pick up some KPFs with other picks, so I'm fine either way.
  • As our greatest need and given we have two slower contested beast tall forwards in Tabs and Apeness already on our list I'd spend both #42 and #60 on some more dynamic KPF prospects if possible. Which is why I preference Kreuger over Dixon. Miller could be the best fit KPF prospect for us though given his athletic profile and his experience as a ruck - I'd probably reach @ #42 if we didn't think he'd last to #60 (Kreuger may be gone by #42 anyway).
  • With #66 and #71 I'd continue to build midfield depth but on players with enough versatility to play other roles and with mature bodies (so they could be ready to debut next year).
  • I've gone Kinthari as our mature ager with our last ND pick this year as we need more players that can kick goals.
  • For the rookie list I've gone some local speculative speedsters that might take some time but have potentially high ceilings.
Quite coincidentally, although possibly subconsciously biased, I've ended up with just one Vic prospect (with our first pick). So minimal "go home" factor for those worried about that. Perhaps not a surprise having lots of WA, SA and NT prospects given the huge proportion of indigenous choices I've made.

Pick #2 - Luke Davies-Uniacke (187cm 85kg Inside Midfielder/Forward from Dandenong VIC)
Description: Ball winning big bodied explosive game changer.
Other Options: Cameron Rayner, Paddy Dow

Pick #5 - Darcy Fogarty (193cm 95kg Key Forward/Midfielder from Glenelg SA)
Description: Powerful big body with evasiveness, elite disposal and versatility.
Other Options: Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra, Andrew Brayshaw, Jaidyn Stephenson, Jarrod Brander, Aaron Naughton

Pick #42 - Nathan Kreuger (196cm 89kg Key Forward from South Adelaide SA)
Description: Agile x-factor tall.
Other Options: Hugh Dixon, Toby Wooller

Pick #60 - Ben Miller (196cm 98kg Key Forward/Ruck from Subiaco WA)
Description: Versatile tall with speed, agility and athleticism.
Other Options: Hayden McLean, Joel Amartey, Tom De Koning

Pick #66 - Kyron Hayden (185cm 88kg Balanced Midfielder from Subiaco WA)
Description: Big body with great leap, speed and agility.
Other Options: Matthew Day, Bayley Fritsch

Pick #71 - Mitch Crowden (174cm 88kg Inside Midfielder from Sturt SA)
Description: "Athletic chicken nugget" (credit Tayl0r )
Other Options: Brent Daniels, Stefan Giro

Pick #79 - Francis Kinthari (178cm 66kg Small Forward from NT Thunder)
Description: Fast dynamic goal kicker.
Other Options: Jordan Johnston, Adam Sambono, Liam Baker

Rookie Pick 1 - Gordon Narrier (187cm 75kg Outside Mid/Forward from Perth Demons WA)
Description: Lightning fast playmaker.
Other Options: Patrick Farrant, Cody Ninyette

Rookie Pick 2 - Zareth Roe (187cm 85kg Half Back from Perth Demons WA)
Description: Skillful and composed playmaker.
Other Options: Riley D'Arcy, Angus Styles

Rookie Pick 3 - Chris Scott (193cm 79kg Rebounding Defender from East Fremantle WA)
Description: Super fast tall intercepting rebounder that can play small or tall.
Other Options: Angus Schumacher, Mitchell Podhajski

EXAMPLE BEST 22

B Ethan Hughes ~ Joel Hamling ~ Luke Ryan

HB Nathan Wilson ~ Alex Pearce ~ Connor Blakely

C Stephen Hill ~ Nat Fyfe ~ Bradley Hill

HF Harley Bennell ~ Darcy Fogarty ~ Michael Walters

F Brandon Matera ~ Matthew Taberner ~ Cam McCarthy

R Sean Darcy ~ Luke Davies-Uniacke ~ Lachie Neale

I/C Darcy Tucker ~ Ed Langdon ~ Griffin Logue ~ (David Mundy)

DEPTH AND STALWARTS (in brackets)

MIDs: Cameron Sutcliffe, Tommy Sheridan, Kyron Hayden, Mitch Crowden, Gordon Narrier, (Danyle Pearce)
RUCs: Ben Miller, Luke Strnadica, (Aaron Sandilands)
KPFs: Michael Apeness, Shane Kersten, Nathan Kreuger
FWDs: Brady Grey, Francis Kinthari, (Hayden Ballantyne)
KPDs: Brennan Cox, Chris Scott, (Michael Johnson)
DEFs: Ryan Nyhuis, Taylin Duman, Zareth Roe (Lee Spurr)

RESERVE BEST 22

B Ryan Nyhuis ~ Brennan Cox ~ (Lee Spurr)

HB Zareth Roe ~ Chris Scott ~ Taylin Duman

C Gordon Narrier ~ Kyron Hayden ~ Tommy Sheridan

HF Shane Kersten ~ Nathan Kreuger ~ Brady Grey

F (Hayden Ballatyne) ~ Michael Apeness ~ Francis Kinthari

R Luke Strnadica ~ Cameron Sutcliffe ~ Mitch Crowden

I/C Ben Miller ~ (Danyle Pearce)

Haha i do love how frank you are with the other more serious draft watchers Chris. Having just got into following it more this year im sad Quigley couldnt do one this year, had Cox at 12 last year and seems pretty clued on from his ratings last year. Plus i could waste almost a whole afternoon at work reading his novel

Yeah Quigley's profiles were freakishly accurate. Not necessarily the draft order but he really could see what kind of AFL player a kid might become. If you have time go back and read his profile on Crozier and Sheridan. Was crazy to read six years later.

Ok so I've updated my draft board for one final time before we take none of these names come draft day...
  • Given we have #2 I still think the potential upside of Fogarty @ #5 is too high not to take a chance but a genuine mid like Cerra or Brayshaw instead would still keep our list pretty balanced if we pick up some KPFs with other picks, so I'm fine either way.
  • As our greatest need and given we have two slower contested beast tall forwards in Tabs and Apeness already on our list I'd spend both #42 and #60 on some more dynamic KPF prospects if possible. Which is why I preference Kreuger over Dixon. Miller could be the best fit KPF prospect for us though given his athletic profile and his experience as a ruck - I'd probably reach @ #42 if we didn't think he'd last to #60 (Kreuger may be gone by #42 anyway).
  • With #66 and #71 I'd continue to build midfield depth but on players with enough versatility to play other roles and with mature bodies (so they could be ready to debut next year).
  • I've gone Kinthari as our mature ager with our last ND pick this year as we need more players that can kick goals.
  • For the rookie list I've gone some local speculative speedsters that might take some time but have potentially high ceilings.
Quite coincidentally, although possibly subconsciously biased, I've ended up with just one Vic prospect (with our first pick). So minimal "go home" factor for those worried about that. Perhaps not a surprise having lots of WA, SA and NT prospects given the huge proportion of indigenous choices I've made.

Pick #2 - Luke Davies-Uniacke (187cm 85kg Inside Midfielder/Forward from Dandenong VIC)

Description: Powerful big body with evasiveness, elite disposal and versatility.
Other Options: Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra, Andrew Brayshaw, Jaidyn Stephenson, Jarrod Brander, Aaron Naughton

Rookie Pick 1 - Gordon Narrier (187cm 75kg Outside Mid/Forward from Perth Demons WA)

Rookie Pick 3 - Chris Scott (193cm 79kg Rebounding Defender from East Fremantle WA)
Description: Super fast tall intercepting rebounder that can play small or tall.

EXAMPLE BEST 22

MIDs: Cameron Sutcliffe, Tommy Sheridan, Kyron Hayden, Mitch Crowden, Gordon Narrier, (Danyle Pearce)

RESERVE BEST 22

Love those first three picks! Could either go Fog or Stephenson at number 5, but Krueger is definitely my preferred option at 42 if he manages to slip through...

Gonna copy waytogo and do my own mock draft for freo

Pick 2 - Paddy Dow
I've warmed up to him a lot and he's in the top 3 best players in the draft, I think if Davies-Uniacke is gone first, Dow is the right option.

Pick 5 - Andrew Brayshaw

My personal favourite player in the draft, good balanced midfielder who doesn't seem to much of a go-home factor. I'd take Cerra here but I think North take him before us

Pick 42 - Hugh Dixon

Nice tall forward who has some issues but at this point in the draft you have to. Kreuger and Wooller are worth a shot here but if we grab Fog, Brander or Naughton with our first pick, Andrew McPherson is the player I like here

Pick 60 - Jake Patmore

Local mid who I kind of take here as best available, because there is a very good chance he won't be here. I also considered Brayden Ainsworth who I really like.

Pick 66 - Mitch Crowden

Kid seems a good get and I think here is just the start of his draft range, I'd like him here so Carlton or someone else doesn't take him. If Ainsworth is still here I'd like him but he could get snapped up.

Pick 71 - Scott Jones

Ruckman was hard to pick, I really like this guy and he could be what we need. Joel Amartey and Lloyd Meek could also be potential here. I've heard Chris say that Coleman-Jones could slip, would we take him at 60 or 66 if he was there?

Pick 79 - Francis Kinthari

This kid looks the real deal, I feel Geelong (the other team believed to be interested) might want him to slip to rookie, so take him here or at our other 80's pick that we probably won't use. I also considered Callan England here, but I'm pretty sure he'd be gone by now, Liam Baker or Matt Guelfi could also be worth a shot here, should we take Hamish Brayshaw now? or wait for the rookie draft?

Rookie Pick 1 - Hamish Brayshaw
Rookie Pick 2 - Patrick Farrant
Rookie Pick 3 - Gordon Narrier

3 good talents here, 2 WA local boys and Brayshaw who looks a good late pick, brother of Andrew and doesn't look like a kid who'll leave to homesickness

I considered Liam Baker, Matt Guelfi, Cody Ninyette, Zareth Roe, Jordan Butts, Dom Barry, Ethan Floyd, Jono Marsh, Cassidy Parish and Chris Scott here too. Maybe Jonty Schraenberg could be here? Rookie draft is hard to predict.

EXAMPLE BEST 22

RESERVE BEST 22

I like most of those.

I'd swap Krueger with Dixon as Dixon is more the key forward we need and can ruck. Given that Dixon can pinch hit in the ruck I would swap Miller for a "true" ruck, although would not be upset if Miller was on our list.

Crowden, IMO has limitations and so would swap him for Hamish Brayshaw to add midfield depth.

Love the Hayden, Roe and Scott pickups but Gordon Narrier is very, very timid in the contest and don't think he'll be drafted.

I like most of those.

I'd swap Krueger with Dixon as Dixon is more the key forward we need and can ruck. Given that Dixon can pinch hit in the ruck I would swap Miller for a "true" ruck, although would not be upset if Miller was on our list.

Crowden, IMO has limitations and so would swap him for Hamish Brayshaw to add midfield depth.

Love the Hayden, Roe and Scott pickups but Gordon Narrier is very, very timid in the contest and don't think he'll be drafted.
I've thought long and hard about Kreuger v Dixon - I like both of them. If I wasn't getting Miller as well then I'd probably go Dixon. But think in time Miller could be more valuable than Dixon - he is the same size but better speed and agility, already a better ruck imo and I think just needs time to develop his forward craft which all drafted KPFs do anyway. I rate his field kicking as well. I'd also back us in to pick up a much higher quality KPF in next year's draft to potentially play that primary KPF role long term.

HF Bennell ~ Kreuger ~ Walters
F Matera ~ Miller ~ McCarthy

Could see this becoming an extremely quick and versatile forward line over time. Throw someone like O'Reilly into the mix who can become a key target inside 50 and I think we might turn our forward line fortunes around finally.

Still think Crowden is very underrated due to his size. He's easily the best midfielder from SA this year imo. His vision is arguably as good as anyone in the draft. I know Freo are one of a couple of clubs that are keen so I really hope we get him. He could slot in and play the Suban role but with better speed and athleticism, become the extractor when needed, or even play in a pocket at either end. I like Hamish but don't know if he brings anything we don't already have. If we get Andrew @ #5 then that might change things slightly though.

Yeah I wasn't completely convinced on Narrier either but he's certainly got talent. Maybe put him in the ring with Sean Darcy a few times to toughen him up? It was either him or Farrant and I picked him for balance but with Carter coming in next year Farrant might be a better choice on reflection.

EXAMPLE BEST 22

RESERVE BEST 22

Would be over the moon if it turned out this way, WTG.

Would only change out a beast ruckman in the late stages to give us more depth, but otherwise very impressive.

Would be over the moon if it turned out this way, WTG.

Would only change out a beast ruckman in the late stages to give us more depth, but otherwise very impressive.
Have you checked out Ben Miller's ruck work in the Draft Machine? He's only 196cm but he beats rucks a lot bigger than him more often than not. It's why I'm so keen on him. You also see him run away from Jaidyn Stephenson at one point - he's quick :) http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you checked out Ben Miller's ruck work in the Draft Machine? He's only 196cm but he beats rucks a lot bigger than him more often than not. It's why I'm so keen on him. You also see him run away from Jaidyn Stephenson at one point - he's quick :) http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

Hopefully he lasts through until 42. Can't see it myself but fingers crossed.

For me I think we need to mostly stock up, replace and improve our midfield stocks. That's where premierships are won.

Pick #2 - Luke Davies - Uniacke - 187cm Mid

Pick #5 - Jayden Stephenson - 189cm Mid

Pick #42 - Ben Miller - 196cm Fwd/Ruck
Other Options: Zac Bailey, Brent Daniels, Charlie Spargo, Gryan Miers, Brayden Ainsworth, Jack Petruccelle

Pick #60 - Brayden Ainsworth - 184cm Mid
Other Options: Andrew McPherson, Tom De Koning, Mitchell Podhajski

Pick #66 - Bailey Henderson - 188cm Mid
Other Options: Ethan Floyd, Jake Patmore, Kyron Hayden

Pick #71 - Alex Martini - 181cm Mid
Other Options: Oskar Baker, Stefan Giro, Alex Paech

Pick #79 - Jordan Johnston - 186cm Fwd
Other Options: Aiden Domic, Bailey Griffiths, Hayden McLean, Doulton Langlands, Chris Scott, Tom Schmusch

Rookie Pick 1 - Chris Scott - 193cm Utility

Rookie Pick 2 - Mitch Crowden - 173cm Def/Mid

Rookie Pick 3 - Hayden McLean - 196cm KF

Last edited:
If Sean Darcy plays forward a bit this season we would have no genuine rucks under 34 on our list and be just fine.
So... Any mock draft including a genuine ruck is off the mark guys. We thankfully now have none on the list under 34.

Be versatile or GTFO :)

Yeah I wouldn't be too concerned about that Paracleet. Maybe a token pick with one of our laters, perhaps if Meek slides. But guys like Roughead, Grigg have changed the perception of the once crucial role. Just IMO. But I wouldn't be disappointed with a Meek, or Hayes if he slid.
Incidentally Hayes has been talked up as more of a forward than a ruck in the last few weeks..?

I guarantee we will pick at least one genuine ruck. Just because Richmond managed to win a flag with a s**t one and a fill in does not represent a sudden evolution in tactics. It was luck combined with Jacob's ability to win taps cleanly but straight to Richmond's advantage.

Agree, 1 swallow does not a summer make. And I 100% believe the club will pick up at least one ruck-sized player. But I also think that the last 2 years premierships propensity to not completely depend upon specialist ruckmen (doggies with Jordan Roughead & Boyd) as well as other teams playing taller mids and utiities as occasional nominated ruckmen this year - means it's not the be all if we end up with just a project ruckman.
Players like Cox this year and potentially Pearce next year can take boundary throw ins, no problem.

I agree we’ll pick a ruck at some point but doubt it’s until at least pick 60 or 66 - most likely in the 70s if in the national draft. Someone decent will slide to 42 that will be too good to refuse imo - hopefully one of the KPFs. Wouldn’t even be surprised if we don’t see a ruck selected until the rookie draft tbh.

Also I don’t see Miller as a ruck at AFL level. He’s worth a list spot no doubt about but at 196cm doesn’t solve the genuine ruck issue at all and probably has to be a pretty decent forward to make it at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back