NCAA 2018/19 College Football Bowl Season [Dec 16 - Jan 8]

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched anywhere near as much college ball this season as I have for the last 3-4 years.

Tell me, do UCF have a grievance only being ranked 8? I know you can't consider results over 2 seasons - but they haven't lost a game in forever, part of me would've loved the romance of seeing whether they could hang in the playoff.

I haven't watched anywhere near as much college ball this season as I have for the last 3-4 years.

Tell me, do UCF have a grievance only being ranked 8? I know you can't consider results over 2 seasons - but they haven't lost a game in forever, part of me would've loved the romance of seeing whether they could hang in the playoff.

Sort of - they've managed to keep the streak alive and played some impressive football, but they haven't played any quality opponents so it's hard to get a read on them. All the metrics has them around the 8-10 mark.

Their conference final against Memphis was wild. Huge 3rd quarter rally and the House of Bounce was going off. I like watching them play.

College football is weird as it's the only sport where they don't want the best teams to play, it adds so much conversation and media coverage on who is the best, and who would beat who - hence why there is no rush to expand the playoffs (should almost be called an invitational), force teams to increase the conference schedules, ban them from playing FCS teams, or play stronger OOC games.

By keeping their winning streak alive they'll be able to claim at least a share of another National Championship if they beat LSU!

It's rigged so they can't make it, which is why playoffs need to expand

It's rigged so they can't make it, which is why playoffs need to expand
All conference champions
It’ll allow the Ucf a and Fresno states of the world to recruit against p5 programs more seriously and in so spread the talent more.
Will get rid of the duopoly Alabama and Clemson are running.

Says who? They didn't lose a game
Because wins are the best way to determine who was the best team in a given year? They are a way to look at who was the best performed, but they are extremely limited by the small sample size, and that's before you even get to quality of opponent/strength of schedule.

I could see an argument for 5th or 6th best team maybe if you don't factor in that they've lost their starting QB, but I think they are clearly a step down from the top 4.

Reckon the 4 they chose is the right 4, but wouldn't have been upset to see UCF get the 4th spot either.

All conference champions

As much as this would provide clarity to the process, could you imagine if this year Bama were playing Pitt (unranked) and Northwestern (#22) purely due to a couple of Conference Championship chokes. Could be a dull first round of playoffs.

I guess if you value potential over outcome (which is classic bigfooty) the rankings process makes sense, or you could just expect the best teams to show up and win their way through.

They weren't one of the 4 best teams this year. I don't see the problem

In fact, this year could just as easily be used as an argument for a 2 team play-off
i agree with the 2nd comment, but on your first I’d argue.

Earlier in the season I looked at Ucf in detail. Not dominating. And their games were vs s**t schools. And those s**t schools could only beat s**t schools. I noticed it either the week before or after the Memphis game. Back then I was saying they don’t even deserve to be ranked or if they were, around the 20 mark based off of precedence of western Michigan’s unbeaten season.

But going into selection day, I look at it in more detail.
You want the best? Yeah, may as well argue for the old bcs system as 3-8 is a blanket.
You want who deserves it? Replace one of Notre dame or Oklahoma with Ucf.

If I could select it my way, I’d say

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ucf - have proven themselves over 2 years. Sure, not the best sos. But no one else has managed it.
4. Georgia - in the bottle neck and who else has gotten closer to beating Alabama the past 2 years (besides 1 auburn fluke)

5. Oklahoma - would be in if this was 2017 and Ucf hadn’t proven themselves over 2 years
6. Notre dame - 1 win, a season does not make. Get a better sos rather than relying on shitty rivalry games vs usc, Stanford, navy and the scrap heap the acc is outside of Death Valley. Maybe if you back it up next year I might put you in like Ucf is this year for me

Surprised there's not more love for College ball, particularly these grand games.

pussies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baylor Vanderbilt was a clinker yesterday. Setting up nicely for some lead in games to the big semi final day tomorrow.

I'm hopeful that Oklahoma can hang with Alabama and give us a decent game.

The Dexter Lawrence suspension could make the Clemson Notre Dame game closer than expected. He is a huge part of their defence and their ability to bring pressure on the QB - and Book has theability to extend and make plays.

I'm somewhat surprised that Notre Dame held on as long as they did. With 5 mins left in the 2nd quarter they were only trailing 3-9.

Now... not so much. 2 quick TDs for Clemson has pretty much ended the game imo

ND were good in the 1st quarter, unlucky not to get the turnover after the kickoff. After that it's been all Clemson. Exploiting the injuries on defence, and the 2nd touchdown in 2 mins Was a disaster - especially with the roughing the passer penalty giving them the TD shot.

Games from this position can be won in the 2nd half. The signs aren't great, but for ND to compete they need a stop straight after the break, and a TD and their somewhat back in it. Get the run game going and keep The Clemson offence off the field and turn it in to a grind.

First 5 mins of the 2nd half will let you know if we have a game or not.

So how come ND got in but UCF didn't have a chance? ND beat who?
Michigan & Syracuse (both of which are still ranked) plus Stanford and VT (who were ranked at the time ND beat them)

UCF only beat Cincinnati, who were ranked at the time but aren't any more.

Neither team would have been Clemson imo but I have a hard time seeing why they deserved the spot more than ND did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back