List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

Given Cottrell hasn't been sighted, are we stuck with him for the year, or can we chop and pick up someone who might actually play?
Pretty poor timing with the injury isn't it?

However given our history with rookie injuries he might be more likely to get that second year just because he didn't get a chance to show anything.

He's on the list as is any other rookie.

Very ordinary to suggest we're stuck with him as though he shouldn't be there.
The whole point of these selections is that they can make an immediate contribution, a la Gibbons. It's not meant to be for speculative project players. There's already a rookie draft for that.

Given Cottrell hasn't been sighted, are we stuck with him for the year, or can we chop and pick up someone who might actually play?
There is always a few on every list every year at every club who never manage to play seniors. Thats the way of it. They are Blues for the duration. It isn't a set of footy cards to swap around.

The whole point of these selections is that they can make an immediate contribution, a la Gibbons. It's not meant to be for speculative project players. There's already a rookie draft for that.
The AFL can't control a club's motivation, we can do what we bleedin' well like with the mid-season draft.

I'm still trying to work out our list strategy.

I did find it strange selecting Cottrell as our final rookie pick given we'd already selected two project players in BSOS and Finbar in the ND, as well as Owies as a Cat B rookie....and Bugg having 'retired' being a mature age rookie.

Given we'll likely be trading our higher draft picks at the end of the year for the best mature talent we can bring into the club, I would imagine that we'd be looking at the best 19/20yo in the state league available in the mid season rookie draft, with the view of getting 6 months of development into him.

As much as we probably don't need another 'project player', it may be a better option bringing in another at this stage, than at the back end of the ND. If they show something, they can be elevated onto the senior list.

It is getting a bit long in the tooth for players who have already had their chance or have been overlooked. You have to look at where they are at now combined with the potential level of improvement. What player at 22 or older is calling out to be drafted? Possibly Hibberd and that's it.

Is there any bias in your opinion of Hibberd? Why is he calling out to be drafted and Deluca is not? Delucas numbers are streets ahead of Hibberds so im not sure why some are giving the names they do.

Its obviously very hard to see someone potential ceiling when they have failed before or simply haven't been able to make it so far. Menegola was delisted twice before finding his feet, it would be fantastic to get the draft notes from their recruiter on him.

There is a case for guys like Hibberd and Deluca to a degree, both were playing in sides who's coaches prioritised senior players at the expense of kids when they were there.

Says the fact that they’re replacements for LTI players, who eventually return.

Yeah...just like we weren't supposed to trade the state players we were given access to.

Yet SOS took the opportunity to do what he thought was best for the football club.

The whole point is to add to the squad in the way the list management team believes will be of greatest benefit to the club. And I think it's absurd right now to claim that picking the next best kid was a mistake.

Early crow....if we get first pick in the mid season draft, we'll take Kyle Dunkley. Another 3 goals and named in the best players for the woofers VFL today.

In the recent Young Guns match "he had a game-high 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 8 score involvements, 4 tackles and 2 goals. Absolutely blew the field away, and was the clear BOG" according to a woofer poster.

Won't get past the Blues or Swans in the early draft picks, so I'm tipping we'll select him if we get first dibs.

You heard it first from Mr Ed!!!

Early crow....if we get first pick in the mid season draft, we'll take Kyle Dunkley. Another 3 goals and named in the best players for the woofers VFL today.

In the recent Young Guns match "he had a game-high 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 8 score involvements, 4 tackles and 2 goals. Absolutely blew the field away, and was the clear BOG" according to a woofer poster.

Won't get past the Blues or Swans in the early draft picks, so I'm tipping we'll select him if we get first dibs.

Think you’re on the money. Heard twice on the weekend that we nominated him for a medical - we’re all over him like a cheap suit by the sound of it.

Is anybody else hearing that they may be pushing Lobbe into retirement (with a full payout included) so as to open a second spot in the draft? Just something else I heard a week ago. If true they must have two targets at least.

I think it’s a bit of A and a bit of B. It’s to cover holes for the now and for the future, a second chance saloon if you wish. Helping clubs and fringe players at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure if Dochetry wasn't injured we would still have left a spot open, that's not about covering injuries. Other clubs have done the same thing.

Last edited:
Isn't another player on the LTI as well giving us 2 picks? Pickett and Docherty ?

Last edited:
Think you’re on the money. Heard twice on the weekend that we nominated him for a medical - we’re all over him like a cheap suit by the sound of it.

Is anybody else hearing that they may be pushing Lobbe into retirement (with a full payout included) so as to open a second spot in the draft? Just something else I heard a week ago. If true they must have two targets at least.
The only potential stumbling block may well be that we won't have the first pick.
Norf play Swans this week, so someone has to lose...we have a potentially fired up GWS on their dung heap, so will be a tough one.
The week after, Norf and Swans have difficult games, we play the Aints, which we'd have to be a big show. A win will likely see us off the bottom.
Both Norf and Swans apparently keen on him as well.

Is 22 not still a kid?
It depends, but at last check, Carlton's recruitment criteria for youth was under 22.

Why?

It was very odd even at the time.

We are really awful identifying talent with late picks. Finbar is the worst player we've selected in the national draft since Anthony Raso. Playing as a mid Cottrell barely got more than 15 possessions a game in the u18s let alone at a higher level. Kerr isnt going to make it. Macreadie is looking unlikely. Labois is finished. Bugg was a waste of time. The less said about O'Shea and the Shaw the better. Gallucci and JGM were a waste of time.

You're never going to have a huge hit rate with low picks but that's a lot of failed picks in just a few years.
Respect a lot of of those calls in the context of players that were available, but Macreadie is making good strides, even given how much time he's spent out with injury.

So long as he's not in a position where he's held together by elastoplast, his endurance, skills and athleticism have him ready to go as a medium defender that could become a KPD. He's absolutely worth persisting with.

I agree: if we've got first pick, Dunkley might be it, but there are others to consider.

How many picks do we have and, if it's only the one, is it still possible at this stage to manoeuvre into making more than the one selection?
Isn't another player on the LTI as well giving us 2 picks? Pickett and Docherty ?
We have just the one, and we can use Docherty's LTI to bring in another without sending him to the Season Injury List (new this year), but when Docherty is ready to resume, he'll have to wait for another LTI in order to be able to return to play.

If we do wind up with a second pick, that's when I think we should be looking at players like Hirst and Kelly.

If we do wind up with a second pick, that's when I think we should be looking at players like Hirst and Kelly.
Kelly may be a good pick up if Dunkley's not available, but only if we draft him as a ruckman with the option of playing him down back when required. Get 6 months of development into him during the second half of the season.
God knows we need another young ruckman to develop while Krooz is still there. With Lobbe likely to retire at the end of the year, and a fragile Krooz/AP, that leaves us pretty thin on the ground.
Max Lynch the other possible, but of course he's still tied to the Magpies. Nor sure if there are any other young ruckmen of any note in the minor leagues.

Kelly may be a good pick up if Dunkley's not available, but only if we draft him as a ruckman with the option of playing him down back when required. Get 6 months of development into him during the second half of the season.
God knows we need another young ruckman to develop while Krooz is still there. With Lobbe likely to retire at the end of the year, and a fragile Krooz/AP, that leaves us pretty thin on the ground.
Max Lynch the other possible, but of course he's still tied to the Magpies. Nor sure if there are any other young ruckmen of any note in the minor leagues.
As I said, if we have a second pick, that's where we should look at players like Hirst and Kelly.

taking a punt this should here....sunny brazier doing well according to this report.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...n/news-story/b65cee9191b267838e435b62a83c2b87
Nowhere near what this draft should represent in terms of value. The top names available would otherwise be picked in the 20-40 range of the national draft.

As I said, if we have a second pick, that's where we should look at players like Hirst and Kelly.

Nowhere near what this draft should represent in terms of value. The top names available would otherwise be picked in the 20-40 range of the national draft.
In your opinion Jimmae is Dunkley the best player you rate based on our needs in this mid draft?

In your opinion Jimmae is Dunkley the best player you rate based on our needs in this mid draft?
I've not seen enough of him to comment beyond the media speculation, but he's a contested mid, albeit one with a long kick and a nose for goal.

If he's head and shoulders above the rest of the field, we should just take him and sort the list out in the off-season, but otherwise there's probably better options for our list (namely small defenders and forwards).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back