List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who gives a damn about our reserves, we're here to win AFL flags!

If either of these players can strengthen our squad then sign them up, both young enough to improve. But the mentality of 'at least our vfl will be stronger' is the wrong attitude

We don't have a free hit to that mid season draft though, nor is it guaranteed that we will be in the bottom 2 come mid season, despite what opposition or our own supporters think
True but not all clubs will be looking for the same thing at that stage. I wouldn't be looking for a player that would necessarily make an impact that season but more a Nathan Kreuger type that missed out on a recent draft. A player that shows some promising signs but still might take a little bit of time.

If either of these players can strengthen our squad then sign them up, both young enough to improve. But the mentality of 'at least our vfl will be stronger' is the wrong attitude

As has been said a million times, a weak VFL side has a direct impact on the AFL side. In our case all the more so because it means our young kids aren’t developing in a winning or skilful environment. It also puts pressure on the AFL guys knowing that they can’t walk into the top 22. So, yes, there’s significant merit in having a strong VFL side.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As has been said a million times, a weak VFL side has a direct impact on the AFL side. In our case all the more so because it means our young kids aren’t developing in a winning or skilful environment. It also puts pressure on the AFL guys knowing that they can’t walk into the top 22. So, yes, there’s significant merit in having a strong VFL side.

x2

Couldn’t agree more. We have some interesting mentality of late creeping into our supporter base.

Couldn’t agree more. We have some interesting mentality of late creeping into our supporter base.

Supporters are now seeing the depth developing and as such a better reserves side which has been an issue.

I am a big believer that to be successful you need a strong reserves side. It's all part of the rebuild. It is so much better for younger players to develop in a better more successful side with quality around them and to have genuine competition for spots. IMO this all leads to a better senior side

The good sides always have 30-35 players that can slot in a play. Having a successful NB's with players performing each week is another part of our improvement as a list, team and a club.

I wouldn't be picking a player purely to boost the reserves but the more quality we bring in the better we will be.

Last edited:
Last 6 years

2018 - Collingwood Grand Finalists. Reserves finished 5th
2017 - Richmond Premiers. Reserves lost GF
2016 - Western Bulldogs Premiers. Reserves Premiers
2015 - Hawthorn Premiers. Reserves Lost GF
2014 - Hawthorn Premiers. Reserves Lost GF
2013 - Hawthorn Premiers. Reserves Premiers

Fair to say this is the reason some of us want to see a strong reserves side :)

All about development, would be easier in a strong reserve side. There's not many that walk into the seniors and dominate straight away.

You don’t recruit players to prop up your VFL side. That is the statement being discussed.
Recruited players who will add depth to your AFL side and subsequent add real value to your VFL side. Different discussion then adding to VFL side but having them on your AFL list!!!!

Look at most people's best 22 for next year. We will add 2 more players to our list plus the Northern Blues have signed quality for 2019 in Hill Wilson Collins Blakey Fisher Pearce Penrith etc. I expect big improvement in both sides in 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t recruit players to prop up your VFL side. That is the statement being discussed.
Recruited players who will add depth to your AFL side and subsequent add real value to your VFL side. Different discussion then adding to VFL side but having them on your AFL list!!!!

Yet no one has said we are adding players purely for the VFL?

Any players added now are most likely to play reserves and the more depth the better. Also, clubs do add senior/mature bodies players to help with development and in the reserves.

It is bizarre to suggest the VFL side shouldn’t be considered nor cared about.

It’s very much in the best interests of the Carlton Football Club to have a strong VFL side underneath.

Think we had it wrong for a long time but that looks to be changing with the caliber of player we’ve brought in over the past 12 months or so.

This is exactly why I’m supportive of giving Gibbons a crack. Has dominated the VFL for a number of years, and at the very worst he’s an amazing inclusion for the Northern Blues.

Who gives a damn about our reserves
not you that's obvious - but they'll be ok regardless doing the crucial job they are there for - depth, players coming back from injury, players seeking better form and match fitness, players being trialed in new positions, pointless stuff like that.......

Look at most people's best 22 for next year. We will add 2 more players to our list plus the Northern Blues have signed quality for 2019 in Hill Wilson Collins Blakey Fisher Pearce Penrith etc. I expect big improvement in both sides in 2019
As an aside, it was tweeted recently by Paul Amy (reporter of Leader newspapers and Inside Football) we're also signing up another one, Frank Anderson from the EFL...

http://efl.org.au/anderson-named-captain-of-vic-metro-side/

strong vfl team = strong afl team... simple as that.

strong vfl team = strong afl team... simple as that.

Don't disagree, it's a good indication of your depth.

But we shouldn't have the mentality of recruiting players to strengthen our ressies. We should be recruiting players who will be playing seniors, or have the potential to play seniors if they're kids. That's how you strengthen your ressies by pushing out your previous best 22 and create competition.

No point recruiting another kerridge or graham if they won't be playing seniors, would rather take a punt on a kid that may have a high ceiling than a good vfl player.

Don't think my original post was very well explained, neither is this one tbh but I hope my point gets across.

I have never seen these two guys play before, and their highlights posted didn't impress me. I hope I'm wrong, you don't win a couple league medals without being able to play..

But we shouldn't have the mentality of recruiting players to strengthen our ressies. We should be recruiting players who will be playing seniors, or have the potential to play seniors if they're kids. That's how you strengthen your ressies by pushing out your previous best 22 and create competition.

No point recruiting another kerridge or graham if they won't be playing seniors, would rather take a punt on a kid that may have a high ceiling than a good vfl player.

Don't think my original post was very well explained, neither is this one tbh but I hope my point gets across.

I have never seen these two guys play before, and their highlights posted didn't impress me. I hope I'm wrong, you don't win a couple league medals without being able to play..

Everyone is talking about adding players that will strengthen our list and as such strengthen our reserves and that has massive benefits. No one has said recruit players purely to strengthen the reserves

What if the good VFL player is still a kid? Fisher and Blakey still only 20 and younger than JSOS.

I don't agree with this at all, our club is not just our AFL side, its a sum of all parts. All of the recent AFL premiers have had very strong VFL sides and maybe bar the Bulldogs all other premiers are really strong off the field.

A good reserves side, provides competition for spots in the AFL, it drives high standards and a strong VFL side also develops a winning culture.

Dont confuse this with me wanting our reserves to be better at the expense of our 1sts but imo they go hand in hand.

On a lesser note our AFLW side is the same, a strong AFLW side raises the profile of the club, it brings in more money, it makes the club more vibrant and it shows that the club board is on the right track in terms of development.

Last 6 years

2018 - Collingwood Grand Finalists. Reserves finished 5th
2017 - Richmond Premiers. Reserves lost GF
2016 - Western Bulldogs Premiers. Reserves Premiers
2015 - Hawthorn Premiers. Reserves Lost GF
2014 - Hawthorn Premiers. Reserves Lost GF
2013 - Hawthorn Premiers. Reserves Premiers

Fair to say this is the reason some of us want to see a strong reserves side :)

Yeah what a waste having a strong VFL side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back