2018/19 Lower & Non-League Thread: Now featuring Sunderland AFC

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
CUFC RCFC OM ACF LFC KSC FCU LAL
Another away win for the Cumbrians, this time 4-0 at Swindon. Their new Manager hasn't made the best start to his tenure.

Carlisle is still 11th, but we are now only 4pts outside the playoffs and 6pts from the automatic playoff spots.

The Cumbrians are playing well in Purple (or Grape as it's referred) perhaps we should keep it as our normal away colour.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Big game this weekend for the Cumbrians, we are at home to Forest Green, 11th vs 10th, a team we have never lost too in the league, in fact we haven't conceded a goal to them yet.;)
Lets hope it continues.:D

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The 13th placed Carlisle came up against the 3rd placed Colchester at Brunton Park and creamed them 4-0, once again frustrating all Cumbrian fans. We have the makings of a pretty good side and should be battling for a promotion spot, but are so inconsistent that we will more than likely finish the season mid table.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NT Thunder, Sheff Wed, Barnet,
The 13th placed Carlisle came up against the 3rd placed Colchester at Brunton Park and creamed them 4-0, once again frustrating all Cumbrian fans. We have the makings of a pretty good side and should be battling for a promotion spot, but are so inconsistent that we will more than likely finish the season mid table.
Have been tracking you guys every time i do my scans of the league tables/scores. Would be verrrry frustrating I'd imagine. Still only 4 points from a playoff spot though, could be worse!

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Frustrating isn’t a word I would use.:D
This is a team that earlier in the season went five games without scoring a goal at home, were the first team to lose to Macclesfield, in round 12 IIRC, yet have one of the better away records in the league, including holding league favourites Lincoln City to a draw.
I don’t understand their form line at all and when I read the local match reports and analysis I get the feeling that no one in Carlisle understands it either.
The joys of supporting a lower league team, you never know what’s going to happen next.:)

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Carlisle defeated Oldham 6-0 at Brunton Park. It’s the first time since October 2005 we have kicked more than five goals.

After going five home games without a goal earlier in the season we have now scored ten in our last two games. Typical Carlisle, unpredictable.:)

RossFC

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moderator #82
I wonder if Tranmere can nab a play-off spot and somehow get into League 1, they were not even in League 2 last season.

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I wonder if Tranmere can nab a play-off spot and somehow get into League 1, they were not even in League 2 last season.
Tranmere are currently a point outside the playoff spots and four points from the automatic spots. Carlisle sit one point behind Tranmere.
L2 is pretty close with at least 14 teams who would think they still have a shot of reaching the playoffs.

RossFC

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moderator #84
Tranmere are currently a point outside the playoff spots and four points from the automatic spots. Carlisle sit one point behind Tranmere.
L2 is pretty close with at least 14 teams who would think they still have a shot of reaching the playoffs.
Didn't Liverpool loan Shamal George to Carlisle last season? So pretty much he's been re-loaned to a side that's 1 position higher haha.

Apparently he really struggled with the 1 or 2 matches he was given and has been riding the bench for the most part. Doesn't look like he's good enough.

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Didn't Liverpool loan Shamal George to Carlisle last season? So pretty much he's been re-loaned to a side that's 1 position higher haha.

Apparently he really struggled with the 1 or 2 matches he was given and has been riding the bench for the most part. Doesn't look like he's good enough.
Yes they did, and I think in last years thread I said he is one of the worst goal keepers I’ve seen. Glad he is no longer at Carlisle, hopefully he may improve our chances of making the playoffs (at least) by sabotaging another teams.:)

RossFC

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moderator #86
Yes they did, and I think in last years thread I said he is one of the worst goal keepers I’ve seen. Glad he is no longer at Carlisle, hopefully he may improve our chances of making the playoffs (at least) by sabotaging another teams.:)
He's actually played 1 pre-season game for Liverpool. Klopp brought him on as a striker against Huddersfield 2 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
He's actually played 1 pre-season game for Liverpool. Klopp brought him on as a striker against Huddersfield 2 years ago.
I remember one game last year we defeated Crewe 5-0 yet their goal keeper looked like the more competent, George was fumbling every shot that came his way, he almost knocked two crosses into own net and was punching air on every corner. If Crewe had even a little bit of luck they may have won that game. He is truly terrible, if he is at your club, pray he doesn’t get a game.

RossFC

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moderator #88
I remember one game last year we defeated Crewe 5-0 yet their goal keeper looked like the more competent, George was fumbling every shot that came his way, he almost knocked two crosses into own net and was punching air on every corner. If Crewe had even a little bit of luck they may have won that game. He is truly terrible, if he is at your club, pray he doesn’t get a game.
If he does get re-called he's probably our 3rd best U23s (aka reserves) keeper behind Kelleher and Grabara.

roo2macca

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Sturt
On a similar note, Luton Town are 1 point off top and are also looking to do a double promotion to the Championship. Them, Pompey and the Mackems are providing a pretty tight contest to the top 2, keep in mind Sunderland have two games in hand.

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
A 4th straight win for the Cumbrians see us just a point outside the playoffs in 8th place. This time we defeated Macclesfield 2-1.

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Five straight for Carlisle (2-0 at Morecombe) sees us move into the playoff spots and 3pts from an automatic promotion spot. Very good signs in Cumbria, hopefully we can improve our list in January and make a real push for promotion.

Last edited:

DEVO

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Cumbrians are on the charge, they defeated Mansfield 3-2 to win their sixth straight game and move up to 5th, only 2pts behind MKD in 2nd.

The day before the Mansfield game, Sheridan resigned as Carlisle manager apparently to takeover the Managerial role at National League strugglers Chesterfield.
This doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me as Carlisle are the form team in the L2, although there have been some reports that the players, including our Captain (Grainger), have been clashing with him over his managerial style and things got a little heated after the 6-0 win over Oldham.

Just when things are looking up at Brunton Park...:(

Last edited:

palmomagpie

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NT Thunder, Sheff Wed, Barnet,
It's a shame Barnet are such a shambles in the National League but then can rock up and beat Sheffield United in the FA Cup. We're only like 8 points above a second straight relegation :(

Top Bottom