2018/19 Lower & Non-League Thread: Now featuring Sunderland AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked up Tranmere Rovers, their stadium holds almost 17k! That surely would've been the biggest non league stadium up till now
It's Liverpools U23s home ground too. We play Everton U23s there all the time.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
You feeling like this will be a successful season? Or do you fear another fall of sorts?

With everything that's happening and rumoured to happen, I could see us getting promoted at the first attempt. Our budget is supposed to eclipse every other teams budget and the manager we've got (Jack Ross, my AV) comes with a glowing reputation in Scotland (he got named Manager of the Year over Rodgers).

First time I'll be starting a season excited in years now.

Going to be an interesting year for Barnet in the Conference. Half our squad it seems is moving over to Chesterfield with our old manager Martin Allen. We've had some old fella called John Still taking over as manager. Will wonder how it goes

I’ll be watching league one the most this season. It has the most clubs that are for me are the most interesting.

Portsmouth - Should finally be on a rise to go back up, within the next couple seasons

Bristol Rovers - Exciting times ahead for this club. I think they deserve a quality run to put them over their boring City rivals.

Blackpool- Hopefully they can finally ditch that sick Oyston and move on to a new era that should never see them below the championship.

Shrewsbury Town - It’ll be interesting to see how they bounce back after having a bit of a fairytale season back to reality and to establish another run. Whilst enjoying safe standing :)

Wimbledon - With a new stadium around the corner and the stigma of finally ascending over MK they can look forward to a bright future.

It should be a cracking season!

Portsmouth and Blackpool were in the premier league not all that long ago. Has been crazy watching them go down and up . Portsmouth have done a good job considering they went bankrupt. Would be good to see them climb back up.

I've always liked Scampaignerhorpe too, not really sure why . Maybe the name makes me laugh

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I’ll be watching league one the most this season. It has the most clubs that are for me are the most interesting.

Portsmouth - Should finally be on a rise to go back up, within the next couple seasons

Bristol Rovers - Exciting times ahead for this club. I think they deserve a quality run to put them over their boring City rivals.

Blackpool- Hopefully they can finally ditch that sick Oyston and move on to a new era that should never see them below the championship.

Shrewsbury Town - It’ll be interesting to see how they bounce back after having a bit of a fairytale season back to reality and to establish another run. Whilst enjoying safe standing :)

Wimbledon - With a new stadium around the corner and the stigma of finally ascending over MK they can look forward to a bright future.

It should be a cracking season!

Wimbledon being in a league ahead of MK Dons should be talked about a lot more all things considered. Marvelous long term effort from Dons fans and they're two promotions away from achieving the perfect ending (along with that abomination in Milton Keynes finally getting relegated from the FL).

Also hope to see Shrewsbury gear up for another tilt at promotion. Would be a breath of fresh air for the Championship if you guys got there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last season was all about consolidation for Forest Green in our first year in the Football League so hopefully this coming season we can push on and maybe establish ourselves in the relative safety of midtable (rather than flirting with relegation for most of the season).

Wouldn't be surprised if Carlisle are the early favourites for relegation to the conference. Our board have known since mid-April that Curle wasn't returning as manager and it's now been 7 weeks and we still don't have a manager for the new season. Our two favourites (David Hopkins and Neil McDonald) have taken jobs elsewhere and we aren't able to sign any new players. Unless the board can pull off a major surprise for our new manager, I hear Zidane is available, season 2018/19 is looking like a disaster for the Cumbrians. :mad::mad::mad::(

I really hope they get Eco Park, I can’t wait to see this thing, especially if they build it the way they envision it.

Good to see there is some awareness of Eco Park!

Last I read (early May) was they had been given some good positive responses from the Highway authority in the UK (as they want to expand/improve the surrounding infrastructure); as well as the local Gloucestershire county council to expand some of the local roads. Once they supposedly get those approved, I think they can firm up design work on the stadium and park.
upload_2018-6-1_11-2-12.png

upload_2018-6-1_11-7-50.png

upload_2018-6-1_11-3-19.png

upload_2018-6-1_11-7-17.png

Just looked up Tranmere Rovers, their stadium holds almost 17k! That surely would've been the biggest non league stadium up till now

In 2003 Darlington built a 25,000 seat stadium at the cost of £18M, but it sent them into administration and they were eventually relegated to the Conference in 2010. I think they are now in the National League North (6th Tier) and no longer play at Darlington Arena.

Just read up about Darlington Arena - apparently the local rugby team bought the stadium for 2m - seems like a bargain purchase at that price!

A lot of little teams with big dreams.
Carlisle have been talking about building a new stadium for more than a decade as Brunton Park passed it's used by date 30 years ago (it was used in a Movie around 10-15 years ago about the 1958 Manchester United team because it resembled a 1950's style Football ground.) but the plans keep getting shelved. The last plans had them building a 12,000 seat stadium, even though only 5-10 years ago we were filling Brunton Park to capacity (16,500) for games against Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Swansea and the other big clubs that found themselves in League 1. If we have dreams of reaching the Championship then we need to be thinking of a stadium with closer to 18-20,000 capacity, because we would fill it when we play the larger teams.

Carlisle have appointed John Sheridan as their new Manager. Don't know a great deal about him or his managerial style, but he began his managerial career as a player/manager of Oldham before also managing Plymouth, Chesterfield, Newport and Notts County. Spent most of his 20+ year playing career at Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday.

A lot of little teams with big dreams.
Carlisle have been talking about building a new stadium for more than a decade as Brunton Park passed it's used by date 30 years ago (it was used in a Movie around 10-15 years ago about the 1958 Manchester United team because it resembled a 1950's style Football ground.) but the plans keep getting shelved. The last plans had them building a 12,000 seat stadium, even though only 5-10 years ago we were filling Brunton Park to capacity (16,500) for games against Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Swansea and the other big clubs that found themselves in League 1. If we have dreams of reaching the Championship then we need to be thinking of a stadium with closer to 18-20,000 capacity, because we would fill it when we play the larger teams.

Probably didn't have the cash on hand but when it flooded a few years ago, that might have been a good chance to expand/renovate Brunton Park (not sure if they ended up doing that given I recall the flooding was quite severe to say the least). I guess it's not like clubs plan ahead and say 'next time our stadium gets flooded, let's take the chance to build a larger stand' etc. :p

And when you lot lose Rafa and Lacelles and still have Cashley on board, you'll break it again!

As long as we win a few derbies along the way, it would at least be a bit easier to accept. :D

We would also rival Gateshead for being the biggest club from the NE in the non leagues too. ;)

Joey Barton the new Fleetwood boss too. Can imagine a Pardew v Meyler situation between Barton and Clattermole :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back