2018/19 Lower & Non-League Thread: Now featuring Sunderland AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably didn't have the cash on hand but when it flooded a few years ago, that might have been a good chance to expand/renovate Brunton Park (not sure if they ended up doing that given I recall the flooding was quite severe to say the least). I guess it's not like clubs plan ahead and say 'next time our stadium gets flooded, let's take the chance to build a larger stand' etc. :p

Brunton Park has gone through a few minor renovations (mostly internal, inside the main stand) over the last 10-15 years, generally after a flood, but it is situated next to a residential area, behind some town houses which makes it difficult to upgrade or expand. It also sits in a flood plain, next to the River Petteril and not far from the River Eden so floods are common. Carlisle would be better off building a new stadium on higher ground or further from the rivers (which is difficult as there are five rivers that run through Carlisle) rather than waste money upgrading Brunton Park only to see it flooded every second or third year.

upload_2018-6-8_20-25-22.png
I've added an aerial shot. The river at the top left of the photo is the Eden, it flows from the Solway Firth (North Sea) and skirts the North of Carlisle. The smaller river that can be seen just above the carpark and then circles the northern and eastern side of Brunton Park is the Petteril, which skirts the East of Carlisle. A beautiful part of England, but when the weather gets nasty it must be a tough place to live.

Last edited:
Brunton Park has gone through a few minor renovations (mostly internal, inside the main stand) over the last 10-15 years, generally after a flood, but it is situated next to a residential area, behind some town houses which makes it difficult to upgrade or expand. It also sits in a flood plain, next to the River Petteril and not far from the River Eden so floods are common. Carlisle would be better off building a new stadium on higher ground or further from the rivers (which is difficult as there are five rivers that run through Carlisle) rather than waste money upgrading Brunton Park only to see it flooded every second or third year.

Ah that would make sense - doesn't seem like staying at Brunton Park is viable if the club wants to grow/avoid further flood issues. Definitely poses an interesting question of whether they try and chase promotion first and then look to build the stadium later in time; or look into a new stadium first and focus the resources on that pursuit. Ideally would like to do both but can imagine for a lot of lower league sides, they aren't exactly flushed with cash and deep pocketed owners.

Plus with the aforementioned Darlington, you wouldn't want to build the new stadium only to be relegated and fall into a financial blackhole either.

On the subject of stadiums, Forest Green averaged just under 3k attendance numbers last season (basically a 60% increase) so the club is busy installing more seats this summer.

John Still bringing half the Dag & Red team with him by the looks of it :shoutyoldman:

Interesting though, Barnet have put club legend John Akinde up for transfer as he has a year left on his contract, so we're trying to cash in. They've agreed a fee with an "unknown" club, but seems Lincoln are claiming him. Was a huge part of the reason we got out of the National League last time, so will be greatly missed

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/...er-news/john-akinde-what-know-lincoln-1741699

Bostonian - bit old news but seems FGR have signed Robert Sanchez on loan from Brighton. Young Spanish keeper - any mail on him? Apparently has been given the number 1 shirt so is likely to be our first choice keeper this coming season.

Bostonian - bit old news but seems FGR have signed Robert Sanchez on loan from Brighton. Young Spanish keeper - any mail on him? Apparently has been given the number 1 shirt so is likely to be our first choice keeper this coming season.

He's tall, getting up near 6ft 5.

Been with us about 4 year now and the club rates him. Some rate him as highly as our other young keeper Christian Walton who has played for England at several youth age levels and just gone on loan to Wigan.

Recently we sent him over as our keeper for the HKFC Citi Soccer Sevens tournament in Hong Kong so you can find video of him on youtube at that tournament.

Bit of info on him and another of your signings from our board

Pat Mountain is a fantastic GK coach, i hadn't realised he was there. He was my GK coach at Wolves and was very highly rated among the clubs in the Premier League (at the time). I've got no doubt Sanchez will do very well under him.

Ironically, FGR also have signed James Montgomery...who played for another of my former clubs, AFC Telford United. I also trained with him for a period at Telford, great lad and was far too good for that level. Fantastic keeper and still young (slightly older than myself) and very much a modern day keeper. The two of them will work well together i'm sure. Sanchez is the superior for sure, but Monty will push him hard.

He's tall, getting up near 6ft 5.

Been with us about 4 year now and the club rates him. Some rate him as highly as our other young keeper Christian Walton who has played for England at several youth age levels and just gone on loan to Wigan.

Recently we sent him over as our keeper for the HKFC Citi Soccer Sevens tournament in Hong Kong so you can find video of him on youtube at that tournament.

Bit of info on him and another of your signings from our board

Cheers for the info. Sounds like a good prospect. Hopefully he can take his game to a new level on loan with us and return to Brighton to help challenge Ryan become an even better keeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive start to the season for us with a 4-1 win away to Grimsby after going 1-0 down.

All about consolidation again this season so it's good to start on a winning note.

Barnsley the team to beat in League 1 :) Thanks to the new owners, actually kept most of the championship side, including Moore and Bradshaw who have proven they can score at this level. Plus Thadom already has scored a brace and Adebajayo already scored twice off the bench. Have also kept 2 clean sheets and Bradford didn't have a shot on target last night. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back