2018/19 Lower & Non-League Thread: Now featuring Sunderland AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Salford City who have won promotion to EFL for the first time in their history after a 3-0 win over AFC Flyde.

Salford City Promotion

Shame about the owners.:)

Not a lot of love for Salford on facebook etc. due to them buying their way through the lower leagues. Will be interesting to see how high they can soar though

12 point deduction is just brutal. Sad that the suffering fans, who've already sat through a relegation, will be impacted like that. But it needs to be out there to send a message to the owners that they can't just come in and do what they want. Hopefully Bolton bounce back and get themselves back up there.

Does anyone know where Portsmouth is at in terms of finances? I know they were in a similar situation, going down to League 2, but seem to be on the up now
A lot of owners are long gone by the time the punishment is handed down.

It's left to the new lot, and supporters to pick up the pieces.

Does anyone know where Portsmouth is at in terms of finances? I know they were in a similar situation, going down to League 2, but seem to be on the up now

My understanding is Portsmouth are now debt free, but it took around 5 years for them to get themselves out of their hole, and by that point they were very nearly out of the football league. They were almost relegated from league two in 2013/14, but won their last five games to stay up.

Charlton 3-2 up vs Doncaster on agg 10mins in, in the 2nd semi. Herbie Kane with a nice assist.

Edit: Doncaster equalize with a few mins left. 3-3, this is going to extra time.

In extra time: Doncaster makes it 4-3 and then Charlton makes it 4-4 a minute later!

Now pens...

Last edited:
Also worth noting, Tranmere are in the League 2 playoff final against Newport. They were a non-league side just last season and could be in league 1 straight away. So it's good to see another Merseyside based club doing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also worth noting, Tranmere are in the League 2 playoff final against Newport. They were a non-league side just last season and could be in league 1 straight away. So it's good to see another Merseyside based club doing well.
Interesting to note that they were in League 1 as recently as 2014. Has been a real rollercoaster ride for them.

They had the biggest capacity non league stadium for a while.

I'm on board the Charlton train for League One but I'm unsure who to support in League Two. Tranmere have gone from non-league to potential League One within two seasons but another Welsh team climbing the ladder interests me. I guess come match time I'll know who I'm going for on how I react to goals and whatnot.

Looking forward to Saturday, Sunday and Monday night.

I was rooting for Forest Green through the playoffs but would probably prefer Tranmere get through over Newport. Newport knocked me back for an interview in Football Manager 2017 and I've had a bitter taste ever since haha

League 1 playoff I want Sunderland to win. They have been through a lot of crap, to the fans that have stuck by the double relegation they deserve a promotion.

League 2 playoff I want Tranmere to win because of where they are based.

Being a Tranmere Fan, It been a great couple of years as a fan. We have a husband and wife(guy ran the English Fa and played for Tranmere) owned the club and have grown the club on and off the field
Interesting to note that they were in League 1 as recently as 2014. Has been a real rollercoaster ride for them.
Good back till 2009 or 2010 when we had a physio as a manager after John Barnes got sacked for poor performance and Chairman who did not want to put money into the club and tried to sell the club on ebay(true story)
Liverpools U23s play there a lot. I think it might even be bigger than Bournemouths ground.

Actually up until 2017, Liverpool u23s and Everton u23 played in the top 2 highest capacity Stadium in Non-League Football. Tranmere No 1 with Widnes FC(10th teir of football) 2nd.
Off the top of my head it's 16k capacity. Bournemouth is about 12k.

Even Widnes stadium is 14k and beat Bournemouth however Widnes is a Rugby League Town(I know that because Dad is born there, Widnes is on the Mersey between Liverpool and Manchester)
I was rooting for Forest Green through the playoffs but would probably prefer Tranmere get through over Newport. Newport knocked me back for an interview in Football Manager 2017 and I've had a bitter taste ever since haha

Watching both Play off games, FGR got too cocky and got a red card in both games. However the VAR allowed Tranmere to get thru with a thunderstrike in the first leg by Ollie Banks.

Midnight kickoff on Saturday night. Not confident in winning but glad to be there. League 1 in my opinion is where Tranmere should be(Can not believe Tranmere 20 years ago used to be in the championship and were in prime promotion position until form dropped off.

Some of the larger teams such as Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea have been in the Premier League for many years, but are there any teams in the English Championship, League One or League Two that have been there for years on end, never doing badly enough to get relegated but never well enough to be promoted to a higher division?

Some of the larger teams such as Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea have been in the Premier League for many years, but are there any teams in the English Championship, League One or League Two that have been there for years on end, never doing badly enough to get relegated but never well enough to be promoted to a higher division?
This was Ipswich for ages (up until this season). From memory Tranmere and Oldham stayed in League One for a long time too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back