2018/19 Melbourne Victory Thread - The Four Time Honda Driven Champions!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he has managed overseas. Would probably come in more qualified than other ex-Australian players.
id be ok with that

I'm OK with it too. I just worry it if it goes horribly wrong with him and for the club it could ruin his aspirations. I mean the media would go at him like no other and he never really felt comfortbale dealing with the media as a player anyway, not sure how he dealt with it in England as a coach I would think he'll be more scrutinized here through.

Awards night tonight:

Victory Medal: Leigh Broxham
W-League Victory Medal: Christine Nairn
Players’ Player of the Year: Leigh Broxham
W-League Players’ Player of the Year: Christine Nairn
Golden Boot: Kosta Barbarouses and Ola Toivonen
W-League Golden Boot: Natasha Dowie
Goal of the Season: Ola Toivonen
Victory Youth Medal: Benjamin Carrigan
Youth Golden Boot: Yazid Said

I don't really agree that Brox was our best player this season, but I ******* love that he won it. Alongside the legendary outgoing coach, he's the best Vuck ever. He's done it all now... and like most seasons, he wasn't even in the starting 11 to start the season.

I love this bloke.

Last edited:
Awards night tonight:

Victory Medal: Leigh Broxham
W-League Victory Medal: Christine Nairn
Players’ Player of the Year: Leigh Broxham
W-League Players’ Player of the Year: Christine Nairn
Golden Boot: Kosta Barbarouses and Ola Toivonen
W-League Golden Boot: Natasha Dowie
Goal of the Season: Ola Toivonen
Victory Youth Medal: Benjamin Carrigan
Youth Golden Boot: Yazid Said

I don't really agree that Brox was our best player this season, but I ******* love that he won it. Alongside the legendary outgoing coach, he's the best Vuck ever. He's done it all now... and like most seasons, he wasn't even in the starting 11 to start the season.

I love this bloke.
I agree wholeheartedly on everything but I think he was our best player. In comparison to Ola (who some say deserved it) he played 6 more matches to start with. Secondly he may not have been the standout on the pitch very often but every time I think of games where we were struggling I remember DJ being the guy who was always grafting. If I was doing the voting for a team "best and fairest" he wins hands down for me. Ola is a better player but he also is prone to a bit of a sook at times.

1000% agree with everything you said, this guy was a bit of a "meme" for a while and copped way more abuse about his quality from opposition fans than warranted. For those of us who have watched, especially over the past 3-4 years, this guy is as solid as it comes. He's not the quickest, tallest or strongest but the majoirty of the time when he comes up against someone that is, he beats them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need a few squad players on minimum wage I guess. Been at the club a couple of seasons and dare say this is his last chance at being a professional footballer. Pitty we can't loan him out to an NPL team for the off-season.

The article btw more like click bait than anything.

Veteran Eriksson puts hand up for Victory job | The World Game

Sources in China, where the globe-trotting 71-year-old Swede was last spotted, have confirmed his interest in succeeding Kevin Muscat, who ended his 14-year association with Victory after last month’s 6-1 A-League semi-final loss to Sydney FC.
It’s understood he was also offered to Wellington Phoenix and Adelaide United but neither could match his wage expectations.
Eriksson, who took England to two FIFA World Cup quarter-finals, has been unemployed since his last assignment with the Philippines at January’s AFC Asian Cup.
They failed to progress from the group stage - losing all three games.
He immediately sought to parachute into the Roar hot-seat following the exit of John Aloisi but lost out to Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler.
Having also managed Ivory Coast and Mexico, Eriksson was linked with the Socceroos job after Ange Postecoglou’s resignation in 2017.
He has knowledge of Victory, having coached against them while in charge of Shanghai SIPG back in 2016.
It’s understood that contrary to reports bracketing them with Aloisi, Victory intend to appoint a foreign coach.
But the chosen one is more likely to be a hungry up-and-comer than an Eriksson-type figure, whose golden clipboard years appear firmly behind him.
His scroll of clubs includes Benfica, Roma, Fiorentina, Sampdoria, Lazio, Manchester City and Leicester City. He was also football director at Notts Country.
In China alone he was in charge of SIPG, Shenzhen and Guangzhou R&F.
Eriksson was mentioned as candidate for the Scotland national team job in April but denied ever applying.
Despite his miles on the clock, Eriksson appears ill inclined to depart the stage in the immediate future.
"I don't need to work if I don't want to do it, for money," he told the BBC earlier this year.
"But I need for my head to work ... going pension, doing nothing with has nothing to do with football, I don't like that kind of life.
"I would get nervous, restless, and that's really bad because one day it will finish but I will hate that time, really.
Football is part of my life and has became a huge drug in my life. I'm addicted."
Both his Australian-based representative and Melbourne Victory were approached for comment.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/vet...ZfD8BGYxH4hi9aOc6ArSiJxQUMt8ZvOMvYWa6gYHOcXvQ

Last edited:
I've got 35c in my wallet. If we passed a hat around what could we scratch together?

hahaha! I think it's a load of horse sh!t tbh but its good free publicity for the club. If someone like Ericcison is interested we're sure to draw attention to some other big overseas coaches too.

hahaha! I think it's a load of horse sh!t tbh but its good free publicity for the club. If someone like Ericcison is interested we're sure to draw attention to some other big overseas coaches too.

I wonder if 'biggest club in Australia' carries any sort of weight. "I'm going to manage in the A League"probably wouldn't interest many managers, but "I'm going to manage the biggest football club in Australia" I guess could be more attractive.

I wonder if 'biggest club in Australia' carries any sort of weight. "I'm going to manage in the A League"probably wouldn't interest many managers, but "I'm going to manage the biggest football club in Australia" I guess could be more attractive.
I'm going to manage the greatest player in Asian Champions League history would be another reason.

Unfortunately he is now at CCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back