MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure over-professionalization of sport is the right term. I'd go more with sanitation. Players from the 70s, 80s and 90s surely would have been even better sportsmen if they'd laid off the booze, had sports scientists crawling over them and used all the perks of modern technology we have now. The lower levels of sport back then were far more popular then they are now.

Making sports non-contact, non-competitive at junior level weakens the strength of the competition, which weakens the players in the competition. We're deliberately weakening the grass roots levels of sport with this "no child left behind" policy. Weaken the bottom level of the pyramid and the upper levels will suffer as well. Kids are now less prepared to transition to a competitive sport level and are instead brought up to play social muppet league level. The majority either go off and play giggle level sport or just give it away entirely.

Just back on the original point... not sure how someone can claim the demands are too high now when you can find local leagues folding across the country that used to be thriving 20 years ago. I've lived around a bit in the last 6 odd years in regional areas, and the local sporting comps were all battling for numbers.
The child-centred “everyone gets a go” focus in education and to some extent fashionable parenting has real cultural consequences which go further than sport and IMO it’s disastrous. Nobody wins, there are no losers and it’s just important for everyone to have fun has sacrificed the pursuit of excellence in the interests of fairness. Makes for a pretty bland world. Great sportsmen/women don’t come from nowhere. And it’s no great surprise that there seems to be less brilliance in the sporting world - people aren’t going to suddenly turn into a ruthless competitor when their entire upbringing has told them repeatedly that needing to win is in poor taste.

I don’t know where I’m going with this but cricket for example has been my favourite sport as a spectator and now I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that watching a test is never again going to be what it once was.

Interesting discussion , but I feel not enough about how these sports have been run , not just now but going back decades . Too many sports to choose from now , including e-sports , so why play when one can earn more doing it on line .

Warner is a big sook, can't cop what he gives
He’s certainly going to need to get a grip on his emotions isn’t he? Supposed to be a professional (albeit not right now).

Got a feeling Warner’s test career is over .

What'd he do? If nothing, then I'd suggest the way we're batting, he'll get welcomed back with open arms

The CA review is ******* embarassing.

Langer- "winning or losing isn't as important as developing respectful cricketers"

What an absolute load of disingenuous horseshit. If the side was winning no one would give a * about their behaviour, only reason people are complaining now is the side has been mostly s**t for a decade.

Players making a pact to stop sledging, * off! How about a pact to learn how to average 40 in first class cricket in Australia you pack of useless campaigners.

You've got blokes like Vaughn and Symonds publicly laughing at the review because it's nothing but nonsense.

The CA review is ******* embarassing.

Langer- "winning or losing isn't as important as developing respectful cricketers"

What an absolute load of disingenuous horseshit. If the side was winning no one would give a **** about their behaviour, only reason people are complaining now is the side has been mostly s**t for a decade.

Players making a pact to stop sledging, **** off! How about a pact to learn how to average 40 in first class cricket in Australia you pack of useless campaigners.

You've got blokes like Vaughn and Symonds publicly laughing at the review because it's nothing but nonsense.

Haven't bothered reading it. Sounds like a high school grade 9 student report.

But that's consultants for you. Pay them big bucks to march in, stick their beak into the place, give you a long-winded but ultimately generic and useless assessment of the situation and leave you with a huge bill for the privilege.

Haven't bothered reading it. Sounds like a high school grade 9 student report.

But that's consultants for you. Pay them big bucks to march in, stick their beak into the place, give you a long-winded but ultimately generic and useless assessment of the situation and leave you with a huge bill for the privilege.

I haven't read it just the cliff notes from journalists but alot of mentions of ' attitude to win prevails over respect and that sort of jazz.

Was a couple good things although I can see CA ignoring them, things like all players should play 2 shield and 1 grade game every season to have a more continuous link between the levels etc.

I'm sure nothing will come from it

The people who had a crack at Warner for leaving the field are dick heads.

He leaves the field- critisicm for being weak and a hypocrite
He stays and says something to the brother of his mate who was killed that doesn't go down well and he gets criticized.

So he takes the decision to walk off to difuse the situation and everyone has a crack at him.
Different standards for different blokes

He stays and says something to the brother of his mate who was killed that doesn't go down well and he gets criticized.

So he takes the decision to walk off to difuse the situation and everyone has a crack at him.

That is how i read the situation, less about having a sook at being sledge and more about removing himself from a situation where he would say something he would regret.

That is how i read the situation, less about having a sook at being sledge and more about removing himself from a situation where he would say something he would regret.

It's probably the most mature thing he has done in his career and people still potted him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, anyone would be called out for it. It wasn’t like he was being sledged about his family, old mate just called him a disgrace from the slip cordon. Your devils advocate shtick never ceases to amaze.

No, anyone would be called out for it. It wasn’t like he was being sledged about his family, old mate just called him a disgrace from the slip cordon. Your devils advocate shtick never ceases to amaze.

Old mate was Phil Hughes older brother Jason, Warner was ready to say something way past the line but instead left the field.

Piss of with your devil's advocate crap mate. If you don't like my opinion then argue it but don't discredit it with that nonsense.

It's probably the most mature thing he has done in his career and people still potted him
Wouldn't the most mature thing to do be ignore him and let his performance do the talking?

In the end, all he did was prevent one of his team mates from batting. If he ever does make it back to Test cricket, he'll cop similar or worse relentlessly, what's he going to do then?

Wouldn't the most mature thing to do be ignore him and let his performance do the talking?

In the end, all he did was prevent one of his team mates from batting. If he ever does make it back to Test cricket, he'll cop similar or worse relentlessly, what's he going to do then?

He came back on 2 minutes later and kept playing. Again I think the point was it was Jason Hughes. I think riding off on the cart with his dying brother and then the family turning on CA in the inquest ment it was more than just a little sledge. There was a dickload more to the story than just some random bloke saying something and I think Warner made a smart choice not to engage a situation that could have easily escalated

He came back on 2 minutes later and kept playing. Again I think the point was it was Jason Hughes. I think riding off on the cart with his dying brother and then the family turning on CA in the inquest ment it was more than just a little sledge. There was a dickload more to the story than just some random bloke saying something and I think Warner made a smart choice not to engage a situation that could have easily escalated
When he came back on, it was at the expense of someone else tho, as he'd previously forfeited his wicket. I can see it exacerbating sledging he'll cop now, as everyone will be going at him relentlessly to try and get him to leave the ground. If he just stood there and ignored it with his mouth shut, no one would be any the wiser, and he wouldn't be having more criticism heaped onto him like he is now.

When he came back on, it was at the expense of someone else tho, as he'd previously forfeited his wicket. I can see it exacerbating sledging he'll cop now, as everyone will be going at him relentlessly to try and get him to leave the ground. If he just stood there and ignored it with his mouth shut, no one would be any the wiser, and he wouldn't be having more criticism heaped onto him like he is now.

Again I don't think it was what was said, it was by who.

Old mate was Phil Hughes older brother Jason, Warner was ready to say something way past the line but instead left the field.

Piss of with your devil's advocate crap mate. If you don't like my opinion then argue it but don't discredit it with that nonsense.

So Warner was going to say something heinous but instead chucked a tantrum and did a Gavaskar, and you’re ok with that?

LOL

He is a professional athlete and has one of the biggest mouths around, he is a sook who can’t cop it back. I guarantee if QDK had walked off when Warner was sledging his sister you’d be calling the South Africans all sorts of names.

Could be , was the wierdest stance I have ever seen .

In the PMs IX against RSA....it was George bailey and yes rediculous stance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back