MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

With the footy season ended, we are almost in offseason mode. Trade Period about to rap up all we have left is the draft. But now is the time to turn our heads to the other codes and sports that claim spring and summer as their own.

Can already see that the up coming cricket season has generated plenty of talk. So here it is the non stop talk thread for all of your summer sports. Wether it be;

Cricket - Big Bash, Test, ODI's, Twenty20
Tennis - Aus Open, Bris international
Motor Sport
Soccer - A League

And the winter sports across the world
NFL and NHL are both well under way in their respective nations

Plus plenty of other sports i may have missed

We will make it to Round 1 next year!

I loved cricket when I was a kid but I'm so disillusioned with it.

Many many reasons but one which might be unpopular is the DRS for LWS, that ball tracking bullshit has ruined cricket for me.

Still haunts me thinking about Peter Siddles hattrick ball and Mark Nicholas 'hang on, hang on'

I don't think you should be able to contest an LBW unless there is an inside edge on it.

I loved cricket when I was a kid but I'm so disillusioned with it.

Many many reasons but one which might be unpopular is the DRS for LWS, that ball tracking bullshit has ruined cricket for me.

Still haunts me thinking about Peter Siddles hattrick ball and Mark Nicholas 'hang on, hang on'

I don't think you should be able to contest an LBW unless there is an inside edge on it.
I’ll take it even further and say that technogical intervention in most sports has been shite and led to worse umpiring.

Agree on cricket though. I still love the game but it stinks at a professional level. Cartel behaviour from Australia, England and India. Flat wickets. The collapse of the West Indies. Pakistan not playing at home. Two test series. Too many meaningless ODIs. A million plastic T20 comps. Cricket Australia’s rotten administration. Ball tampering. The Australians’ boorish and arrogant behaviour without the results to back it up. I predict that cricket will be pretty much at Rugby Union levels of popularity in Australia within a decade.

I’ll take it even further and say that technogical intervention in most sports has been shite and led to worse umpiring.

Agree on cricket though. I still love the game but it stinks at a professional level. Cartel behaviour from Australia, England and India. Flat wickets. The collapse of the West Indies. Pakistan not playing at home. Two test series. Too many meaningless ODIs. A million plastic T20 comps. Cricket Australia’s rotten administration. Ball tampering. The Australians’ boorish and arrogant behaviour without the results to back it up. I predict that cricket will be pretty much at Rugby Union levels of popularity in Australia within a decade.

I think when I was a kid I could just watch a test match and enjoy it for the moment, but what millennial is going to watch Pakistan be 0-200 in the UAE in a 2 test series that is missing 5 of Australia's best 11.

Tests need to be either 3 or 4 days, the wickets need to be spicy and scoring a test century should be amazing, not just a decent knock.
Fast bowlers rarely swing the ball any more, pitches don't crack up nor do you see big seam movement.

Spinners are just guys who wait for mistakes rather than attacking options especially in Australia.
Fast bowlers are few and far between, I love watching blokes bowl 155kph and i love watching batters face it.
Watching Peter Siddle nibble away at a length at 125 just doesn't cut it in modern society.

Traditionalists will die out soon and people will realise no one wants to watch 5 days of run scoring on flat wickets. When I think of great days of test cricket I don't think of us scoring 600 at Cardiff where everyone scored a century in 09, I think about the first test of 05 when we were bowled our for very little and McGrath ripped through the batting line up.

I think about Johnson's spells in the ashes at home, I think about Michael Clarke's century in SA with a crack in his shoulder.

Not 2 sides scoring 478 and then 506 in the first innings and the game doing nothing till day 4.

I think when I was a kid I could just watch a test match and enjoy it for the moment, but what millennial is going to watch Pakistan be 0-200 in the UAE in a 2 test series that is missing 5 of Australia's best 11.

Tests need to be either 3 or 4 days, the wickets need to be spicy and scoring a test century should be amazing, not just a decent knock.
Fast bowlers rarely swing the ball any more, pitches don't crack up nor do you see big seam movement.

Spinners are just guys who wait for mistakes rather than attacking options especially in Australia.
Fast bowlers are few and far between, I love watching blokes bowl 155kph and i love watching batters face it.
Watching Peter Siddle nibble away at a length at 125 just doesn't cut it in modern society.

Traditionalists will die out soon and people will realise no one wants to watch 5 days of run scoring on flat wickets. When I think of great days of test cricket I don't think of us scoring 600 at Cardiff where everyone scored a century in 09, I think about the first test of 05 when we were bowled our for very little and McGrath ripped through the batting line up.

I think about Johnson's spells in the ashes at home, I think about Michael Clarke's century in SA with a crack in his shoulder.

Not 2 sides scoring 478 and then 506 in the first innings and the game doing nothing till day 4.

I'd argue you can leave it at 5 days, because when you actually make a spicy wicket, it won't make it that far anyway.

Can that be the last of Shaun marsh please

If loose bus change could make a run he would be an all rounder

Can that be the last of Shaun marsh please

If loose bus change could make a run he would be an all rounder
yeah the blokes always been a flake, although a talented one. but at 35 years old he should be shown the door for good, even with our lack of other experienced batsmen in the side. bring back Renshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, my NFL team sucks but my NBA team got off to a nice start.
Pels are looking good, I'll be watching a lot of them this year, fun to watch.

This is bordering on melbourne vs Essendon round 2 2013.

Tim paines position as player and captain needs to be questioned. I don’t think he is upto it.

Tim paines position as player and captain needs to be questioned. I don’t think he is upto it.
He’s the stand in

He’s the stand in

Regardless of stand in captain or not, his performances since being back in the side have been below par. His batting numbers read like a handy no.8

Regardless of stand in captain or not, his performances since being back in the side have been below par. His batting numbers read like a handy no.8

Doubt that matters. He's most likely picked and skippering because he's a nice, wholesome guy who doesn't look like he'd cheat and will do whatever he's told.

His role in the side is to pretend Australia's cricketers are nice like Engla.... no Indi.... no South Afr... no Pakist... no.

Well pretend we are nice. He's a s**t cricketer.

Who said we have good first class batsmen? We may have the shittest pool oh batsmen to choose from since black and white tv or before.

Matt Renshaw averaged 44 last year and was the most prolific scorer in the competition.

40 ******* 4

Blokes like Hussey Hodge etc were having seasons in the 60s and 70s an not getting picked

Who said we have good first class batsmen? We may have the shittest pool oh batsmen to choose from since black and white tv or before.

Matt Renshaw averaged 44 last year and was the most prolific scorer in the competition.

40 ******* 4

Blokes like Hussey Hodge etc were having seasons in the 60s and 70s an not getting picked

The fact loose bus change was selected when averaging 37 shows where we are at.

I was glad to see finch do well, he at least showed some grit to bat time in each of his innings.

40 ******* 4

The Big Bash has no doubt had an effect - that the Shield season stops for Big Bash half way through is insane - but I think equally, the continual facination with overlooking performance for trying to find the next great talent - at all levels - is what is killing us. No more earning a promotion to the next level through weight of numbers over and over again regardless (relatively) of age, now selectors look like forum members, desperate to uncover the next big thing before anyone else so they can puff their chest out and say "how smart am I". Kids keep getting gifted opportunities they don't yet deserve and we wonder why Australian cricket lacks the old fight and fortitude.

The fact loose bus change was selected when averaging 37 shows where we are at.

I was glad to see finch do well, he at least showed some grit to bat time in each of his innings.

It's a disgrace Finch can get near the Test side. He is a hack. Him and Maxwell having Test caps shows how far we've fallen. It's not a West Indies cliff dive slump, but we're on a firmly downward slope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back