Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I'd love Renshaw back in but 10 Shield innings at only 19 is just stretching the friendship too much.
Marsh has averaged 18 over his past 19 test digs. More than ample opportunity, time to finally scratch his name out for good no matter what he does in Shield cricket.
Handscomb I don't think is yet a test standard player.

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Maxwell/Sangha/Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Tremain/Boland
Hazelwood

Burns deserves another crack and at 29 years old is young enough to potentially do the position for 5 or 6 years.
Head stays by virtue of being our second highest run scorer this series, as soul dressing as that is.
Maxwell to have a chance to put up or shut up on home soil. Or take a flier on a young bloke. Pucovski depends on his headspace.
See what Wade can do with only batting to think about.
Starc had been trash this series, Boland and Tremain are the leading Shield wicket takers over the past two seasons, give one a run to test depth as much as anything else.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Indy officially my favourite from the AFC. Only team that can beat them is the Ravens.

Dont rate the Chargers?

Hard to see anyone knocking off the Saints in the NFC. If at all. It will be hilarious if New Orleans win the Superbowl in Atlanta. The new stadium may get burned to the ground!

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Renshaw isn’t in form so that fits the selectors criteria at the moment :p

However I think renshaw is one you could ignore form and select and what he as done in the past knowing what he can do.

We seemed to be “flush” with openers but no middle order. I’d prefer to play burns in the middle order and leave Harris/Khawaja

Smith at 3 when the ashes are on. I don’t think warner and Bancroft can play in the same side

Remember hearing the Bulls coach say Burns can't bat in the middle order. Its open or nothing.

We need extra openers anyway, I say play an opener at 3 and hopefully protect the middle order a little more. No reason Harris or even Warner couldn't play 3. Agree re Maxwell, doesn't need to average 50 but he's in form and he will surely do more than Labush and Marsh

Re re Renshaw I don't really care if he's out of form, he's one of our only players who's played county cricket and he needs to play in the ashes. Just get him back in and hope he scores a pretty fifty

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Remember hearing the Bulls coach say Burns can't bat in the middle order. Its open or nothing.

We need extra openers anyway, I say play an opener at 3 and hopefully protect the middle order a little more. No reason Harris or even Warner couldn't play 3. Agree re Maxwell, doesn't need to average 50 but he's in form and he will surely do more than Labush and Marsh

Re re Renshaw I don't really care if he's out of form, he's one of our only players who's played county cricket and he needs to play in the ashes. Just get him back in and hope he scores a pretty fifty

Yeah I was just stirring about Renshaw, I’m happy if he got selected in the ash starting 11.

A top four of;

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Smith

Looks a lot better than what we currently have. Unfortunately whoever gets a run against Sri Lanka will make runs (i hope) it will be a bit of a false economy. Although despite Sri Lanka pour tour of NZ if we serve up more flat tracks it won’t be as easy as some commentators are making it out to be.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd be taking renshaw as back up opener anyway, and burns too as we lack right handers. Experience against the moving ball will be important in England so the more top order batsmen, the better imo. No smarsh, no handscomb, no labuschagne and no head or even Maxwell either please selectors.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maxwell averages 44 in shield cricket. Thanks to CA he didn’t get a fair run at any Aus A tours over winter. Then due to lopsided fixturing he was playing white ball cricket for Aus as all th shield game where being played. 30 isn’t old as a cricketer.

Jesus, that's disturbing if true. First class average of 41 so probably is. Can't say he didn't get a fair run though; one redeeming innings against India aside, he has been fairly rubbish at Test level.

I'd rather avoid trying to patch more holes with 30+ year olds, hence looking at the younger brigade, but there's not much there at all. If we're rebuilding a side, then someone as flakey as Maxwell should stay on the outer.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Jesus, that's disturbing if true. First class average of 41 so probably is. Can't say he didn't get a fair run though; one redeeming innings against India aside, he has been fairly rubbish at Test level.

I'd rather avoid trying to patch more holes with 30+ year olds, hence looking at the younger brigade, but there's not much there at all. If we're rebuilding a side, then someone as flakey as Maxwell should stay on the outer.

Fair enough, I just think we should pick the best 11. I don’t agree with picking youth for the sake of it, pick players in form regardless of age.

My point about Maxwell not getting a fair run was at the Australian A tour. He was discouraged by CA from playing county cricket to get ready for the Aus A tour of India in preparation for the UAE tour. Then he wasn’t picked for that tour, and lubaschagne surpassed him after his “performances” which included two ducks.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd love Renshaw back in but 10 Shield innings at only 19 is just stretching the friendship too much.
Marsh has averaged 18 over his past 19 test digs. More than ample opportunity, time to finally scratch his name out for good no matter what he does in Shield cricket.
Handscomb I don't think is yet a test standard player.

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Maxwell/Sangha/Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Tremain/Boland
Hazelwood

Burns deserves another crack and at 29 years old is young enough to potentially do the position for 5 or 6 years.
Head stays by virtue of being our second highest run scorer this series, as soul dressing as that is.
Maxwell to have a chance to put up or shut up on home soil. Or take a flier on a young bloke. Pucovski depends on his headspace.
See what Wade can do with only batting to think about.
Starc had been trash this series, Boland and Tremain are the leading Shield wicket takers over the past two seasons, give one a run to test depth as much as anything else.

Sangha is nowhere near the level yet; scrub that name. Pucovski was the obvious name to pick out of the youngsters but I don't think you can bring him in to a side like this when he's just taken time off for depression after chalking up a double ton.

Would be nice to get another lefty in as a bowler. Tremain and Boland would make it a very same, same attack. I'm not a fan of dropping Starc - I think he'll come good again and he's typically our most dangerous bowler. The replacement options aren't that exciting that I'd be looking to spear him.

The other option that could be worth considering is playing with 10.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
What about Warner? He's easily our 2nd best batsman.

No doubt he is, but rightly or wrongly he has almost been made the scapegoat/bad guy/instigator of the sandpaper saga. Can he fit back into the team, I’m not sure.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Sangha is nowhere near the level yet; scrub that name. Pucovski was the obvious name to pick out of the youngsters but I don't think you can bring him in to a side like this when he's just taken time off for depression after chalking up a double ton.

Would be nice to get another lefty in as a bowler. Tremain and Boland would make it a very same, same attack. I'm not a fan of dropping Starc - I think he'll come good again and he's typically our most dangerous bowler. The replacement options aren't that exciting that I'd be looking to spear him.

The other option that could be worth considering is playing with 10.

Play with 10 and let Cummins bat twice per innings

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fair enough, I just think we should pick the best 11. I don’t agree with picking youth for the sake of it, pick players in form regardless of age.

My point about Maxwell not getting a fair run was at the Australian A tour. He was discouraged by CA from playing county cricket to get ready for the Aus A tour of India in preparation for the UAE tour. Then he wasn’t picked for that tour, and lubaschagne surpassed him after his “performances” which included two ducks.

Yeah, can see the best XI argument (although I don't think Maxwell is best XI), but the worry for me is that we'll keep on chopping and changing for years to come with hardly any stability in the order.

Hussey can start his Test career at 30 and still be good enough five years later because he's a jet. I think we've only got mediocre players to choose from, and hoping a meh 30 year old has a five year shelf life at the top level seems very optimistic (or very negative).

The Aus selectors have had a bizarre penchant for random selections for quite a while now. Mad that most of these blokes basically had to die and bequeath their spot in the side to their successors, such was the job security 25 odd years ago. You'd think they'd appreciate having time to find your feet more than most.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Play with 10 and let Cummins bat twice per innings

We've already been done for sandpapering the ball, so why not bust the fake moustache out and pretend Steve Smith has an even uglier cousin from out of town?

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the selectors do decide to play Wade he can provide some handy relief overs. Bowls around 130 km/hour.

Has bowled one over in test cricket & is a better allrounder option than Marsh

You might be right, but watching some of his filthy head-in-the-air slogging tells me he has quite a way to go. He's still very early in his career - once he's been around a bit more and coaches have had more time to analyze his game, we'll see how he holds up. Quinton De Kock had a similarly explosive start and was averaging in the 50s for a while, and now he's down in the mid 30s.

Like Gilly though, he's going to benefit from being #7 in a comparatively strong batting lineup. He'll certainly be coming in at 5/300 a helluva lot more than 5/100.
Fair. I like him though. Very strong on the off side off the back foot and has plenty of bottle.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Obviously most of you guys are way too "cricket" to be watching the Big Bash ... but geez Finch is just as out of form here as he was in the Tests. Strike Rate under 100 atm, and the middle of his bat hasn't had much to do at all!

On the other side of the coin, Renshaw playing for the Heat the other night, didn't make a big score, but hit some seriously impressive 4's that were 100% technique and timing ... just give him a crack.

Meanwhile, now that I've typed that, Finch just crushed one in the second tier ...

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Obviously most of you guys are way too "cricket" to be watching the Big Bash ... but geez Finch is just as out of form here as he was in the Tests. Strike Rate under 100 atm, and the middle of his bat hasn't had much to do at all!

On the other side of the coin, Renshaw playing for the Heat the other night, didn't make a big score, but hit some seriously impressive 4's that were 100% technique and timing ... just give him a crack.

Meanwhile, now that I've typed that, Finch just crushed one in the second tier ...
They are playing on complete roads, with a ball that does nothing after 6 overs, and your wicket isnt worth anything. Good test batsmen dont get that and look average while terrible Test decision makers (see: Maxwell) look fantastic.

Its a totally different game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
They are playing on complete roads, with a ball that does nothing after 6 overs, and your wicket isnt worth anything. Good test batsmen dont get that and look average while terrible Test decision makers (see: Maxwell) look fantastic.

Not to mention the absence of slips and fielders around the bat meaning only slogs really carry risk

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Big bash scoring has been down this season, they are playing on slow road wickets. Not sure why curators seem to be producing so many slow wickets. could be the drop in pitch factor, the crammed schedule not allowing enough time for preparation, and could be the bowlers have improved a their skills.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If anyone wants to know what I'm the biggest fan of the BBL, check out this guys shot to the opening ball of the innings.

That's a ******* golf swing, the fact a bloke can reach the top level of cricket in Australia playing like that encapsulates everything wrong with Australian cricket

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We didn't get a single LBW for the summer. The 'world's best' pace attack didn't get a single LBW at home for the whole 4 test series.

Cummins took a 6fa, then took 8 wickets in the other 6 innings. Our bowling attack was horrible this summer, I think they were just as bad as the batsmen for alot of the series

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Marsh brothers, handscomb, finch all set to be dumped from the current test squad.

Puvcoski, Burns, Stonis, and possibly renshaw to be added into the 15 man squad.

Back