MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, going off the form of our test team ... our number 7 would have been at the crease about 5 overs ago.
Probably but so be it. Rather lose trying to win. We are putting way too much pressure on 2 guys in Stoinis and Maxwell to win us the game.

Except India and England make 300 for fun. Scoring 270 isn't good enough anymore.

Yeah no doubt the game has changed, difference between us - england/India is they have quality batsmen to make those high scores. We don’t, we tried using hitters and before we knew it we were 4/50.

Last 5 overs here have hurt us, could be there difference between 280 or 260

Yeah no doubt the game has changed, difference between us - england/India is they have quality batsmen to make those high scores. We don’t, we tried using hitters and before we knew it we were 4/50.

We played them in India South Africa and England right? Pretty tough places for them. Back in Australia though we need more hitters

We played them in India South Africa and England right? Pretty tough places for them. Back in Australia though we need more hitters

The first two one dayers against SA at home showed exactly the problems we’ve consistently been having using hitters, Lynn, short etc and we could barely make a score.

The first two one dayers against SA at home showed exactly the problems we’ve consistently been having using hitters, Lynn, short etc and we could barely make a score.

First game we were bowled out for 151 but then we won the second game and had to chase 320 3rd game and we made 280. Not sure that's barely making a score. Besides I'm not calling for a heap more hitters, just think one more would have done it.

First game we were bowled out for 151 but then we won the second game and had to chase 320 3rd game and we made 280. Not sure that's barely making a score. Besides I'm not calling for a heap more hitters, just think one more would have done it.

We’ve won 3 of our last 23 one dayers, without looking at all the score cards I’d suggest that’s off the back of bad batting rather than bowling.

I agree you need hitters in the game, but most of the hitters we’ve used in that time have failed.

I was reading an article this morning and we’ve used 32 players (either since the WC or in the last 2-3 years) the selectors aren’t sure which players to use. And players haven’t take their opportunity.

Its funny that from just the perspective of the scorecard, it's actually been a reasonable innings. 3 players have reached 50, another two with starts (and one still going) with only one complete failure, but Handscomb is the only one with a SR over 100, and the rest are mid 70's

We’ve won 3 of our last 23 one dayers, without looking at all the score cards I’d suggest that’s off the back of bad batting rather than bowling.

I agree you need hitters in the game, but most of the hitters we’ve used in that time have failed.

I was reading an article this morning and we’ve used 32 players (either since the WC or in the last 2-3 years) the selectors aren’t sure which players to use. And players haven’t take their opportunity.

England have scored 300 in about 43% of their games since the 2015 WC, we may have won 3 of 23 but we won't win against India scoring 241 of 47 bloody overs. They could chase that in a T20.

This might help us best the windies but we will be out in the group stage of the WC playing like this

So why couldn't Stoinis have been in @ 5 playing that shot?

I think as he gets more confidence in his game he could be a number 5 just like Symonds was in the prime of his career. Composed enough if we are 3 down early to bat time and catch up at the end. Or come in late and hit runs.

I think as he gets more confidence in his game he could be a number 5 just like Symonds was in the prime of his career. Composed enough if we are 3 down early to bat time and catch up at the end. Or come in late and hit runs.

So why not give him a crack in this meaningless series?

I just don't understand the plan, this total would be short in the mid 2000s let alone now when teams can chase 400
At a minimum, Stoinis and Maxwell should have been swapped, when the former came in would have been better suited to Maxwell, and now would be a good time for Stoinis to come in and just all out attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At a minimum, Stoinis and Maxwell should have been swapped, when the former came in would have been better suited to Maxwell, and now would be a good time for Stoinis to come in and just all out attack.

No no I'm glad that our most dangerous bat gets 16 balls. Great planning by the team IMO

England have scored 300 in about 43% of their games since the 2015 WC, we may have won 3 of 23 but we won't win against India scoring 241 of 47 bloody overs. They could chase that in a T20.

This might help us best the windies but we will be out in the group stage of the WC playing like this

Roy
Hales
Root
Butler
Stokes
Ali

Out of interest Who outside the top 7 today would you add in?

England and India have quality batsmen and hitters, we don’t.

Roy
Hales
Root
Butler
Stokes
Ali

Out of interest Who outside the top 7 today would you add in?

England and India have quality batsmen and hitters, we don’t.

The top 3 run scorers in our domestic competion this season was Short, Lynn and McDermott. None of who were selected in this game. I also wouldn't bat the 2 blokes most capable of scoring a century at better than a run a ball at 6 and bloody 7

The top 3 run scorers in our domestic competion this season was Short, Lynn and McDermott. None of who were selected in this game. I also wouldn't bat the 2 blokes most capable of scoring a century at better than a run a ball at 6 and bloody 7

I like Short and McDermott, both haven’t had a good go as yet. McDermott needs to work on playing spin. Lynn has been tried in one dayers and doesn’t look like he can bat out 10 overs. Yeah he can strike the ball well but has missed to many times in one day games.

Look at England’s top 5 all great hitters of the ball but can score big also.

One thing that’s hurting our big sores is the lack of runs from finch, at his best he can be as good as anyone scoring quickly and big.

I agree with your thoughts on scores and the type of batsmen required in today’s game and I agree we need another hitter in place of one of ussie marsh and handscomb. Stonis looks the best placed to play this role, maxwell has had his chance but to often goes out to a rash shot. Others out of the side haven’t taken their opportunities or still need to develop their games.

Like our test side we lack quality batsment for the role required and batting depth.

I like Short and McDermott, both haven’t had a good go as yet. McDermott needs to work on playing spin. Lynn has been tried in one dayers and doesn’t look like he can bat out 10 overs. Yeah he can strike the ball well but has missed to many times in one day games.

One thing that’s hurting our big sores is the lack of runs from finch, at his best he can be as good as anyone scoring quickly and big.

I agree with your thoughts on scores and the type of batsmen required in today’s game and I agree we need another hitter in place of one of ussie marsh and handscomb. Stonis looks the best placed to play this role, maxwell has had his chance but to often goes out to a rash shot. Others out of the side haven’t taken their opportunities or still need to develop their games.

Like our test side we lack quality batsment for the role required and batting depth.

He was in the top 3 run scorers in the JLT mate, I reckon Lynn was just given bad advice and told to play kamikaze for Australia.

I think what we lack is the Hussey Bevan Clarke type who you can rely on to either Anchor or finish the innings however those guys were stars so we have to adjust, we have plenty of blokes who can hit a cricket ball.

Stoinis, M.Marsh, Maxwell, Lynn, Short, Finch etc. Just need the right combination and in form.

I'd pick this side for the world cup

Warner
Short
Smith
Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey

Lynn has played 4 ODI's ... scores of 16, 15, 44 and 0 ... and the duck he opened for some unknown reason. Given what he does at the lower level, he should be given some time.

Tho conspiracy theory time ... Short and Lynn were left out, as when they've gone out previously, they've killed their BBL team's performance ...

He was in the top 3 run scorers in the JLT mate, I reckon Lynn was just given bad advice and told to play kamikaze for Australia.

I think what we lack is the Hussey Bevan Clarke type who you can rely on to either Anchor or finish the innings however those guys were stars so we have to adjust, we have plenty of blokes who can hit a cricket ball.

Stoinis, M.Marsh, Maxwell, Lynn, Short, Finch etc. Just need the right combination and in form.

I'd pick this side for the world cup

Warner
Short
Smith
Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey

I like that top 7.

Warner and smith make such a difference.

All I know is the last 3 years we’ve been rubbish and the selectors are throwing darts a the dart board hoping to hit a bullseye.

As well as our batting, we need a quality spinner with a couple of tricks to keep the batsmen guessing. And our quicks need to improve bowling at the death.

PS Hussey was underrated in one dayers, could come in 4 down and build an innings, or come in late to hit runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back