Review 2018 2nd Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Notwithstanding the fact the Hawks finished above Port Melbourne on the 2018 ladder, the Hawks travel to Port Melbourne's home ground of North Port Oval to face a fierce rival for the right to advance in the 2018 VFL finals. The excuse AFL Victoria gives is three-fold. First, North Port Oval is more convenient for the TV broadcaster (notwithstanding this game is not being broadcast on TV); secondly, the fact that one club might finish higher on the ladder does not automatically guarantee home field advantage in the VFL; and thirdly, Box Hill's home ground, Box Hill City Oval, is booked for local league finals this weekend.

So, the fact of the matter is the Hawks will need to just get on with the job and find a way to beat the Borough on their home patch (hopefully we at least get the home rooms, but I'm not holding my breath).

The Hawks have gone in with a number of experienced AFL players in the lineup (though no James Sicily), including Daniel Howe, but the question of how much time they actually play could shape the outcome of the game, with an eye towards Hawthorn's qualifying final next Thursday night.

Box Hill Hawks
B: Taylor Duryea, Kaiden Brand, Changkuoth Jiath
HB: Conor Glass, Tim O'Brien, Teia Miles
C: Daniel Howe, James Cousins, Jonathan O'Rourke
HF: Ollie Hanrahan, Jackson Ross, Dylan Moore
F: Brendan Whitecross, Mitchell Lewis, Dallas Willsmore
Foll: Marc Pittonet, Kieran Lovell, Andrew Moore
I/C: Adam Brolic, Nick Evans, Will Hames, Chris Jones, Brayden Kilpatrick

Port Melbourne
B: Mascitti, Cook, Tynan
HB: Hooper, Van Unen, Lange
C: Anastasio, Rivett, Wooffinden
HF: Arnot, Waddell, Walker
F: Conway, Lisle, Pearson
Foll: Haretuku, O'Sullivan, Templeton
I/C: Beddison, Dickson, Lloyd, Michael, Nahas

Notwithstanding the fact the Hawks finished above Port Melbourne on the 2018 ladder, the Hawks travel to Port Melbourne's home ground of North Port Oval to face a fierce rival for the right to advance in the 2018 VFL finals. The excuse AFL Victoria gives is three-fold. First, North Port Oval is more convenient for the TV broadcaster (notwithstanding this game is not being broadcast on TV); secondly, the fact that one club might finish higher on the ladder does not automatically guarantee home field advantage in the VFL; and thirdly, Box Hill's home ground, Box Hill City Oval, is booked for local league finals this weekend.

So, the fact of the matter is the Hawks will need to just get on with the job and find a way to beat the Borough on their home patch (hopefully we at least get the home rooms, but I'm not holding my breath).

The Hawks have gone in with a number of experienced AFL players in the lineup (though no James Sicily), including Daniel Howe, but the question of how much time they actually play could shape the outcome of the game, with an eye towards Hawthorn's qualifying final next Thursday night.

Box Hill Hawks
B: Taylor Duryea, Kaiden Brand, Changkuoth Jiath
HB: Conor Glass, Tim O'Brien, Teia Miles
C: Daniel Howe, James Cousins, Jonathan O'Rourke
HF: Ollie Hanrahan, Jackson Ross, Dylan Moore
F: Brendan Whitecross, Mitchell Lewis, Dallas Willsmore
Foll: Marc Pittonet, Kieran Lovell, Andrew Moore
I/C: Adam Brolic, Nick Evans, Will Hames, Chris Jones, Brayden Kilpatrick

Port Melbourne
B: Mascitti, Cook, Tynan
HB: Hooper, Van Unen, Lange
C: Anastasio, Rivett, Wooffinden
HF: Arnot, Waddell, Walker
F: Conway, Lisle, Pearson
Foll: Haretuku, O'Sullivan, Templeton
I/C: Beddison, Dickson, Lloyd, Michael, Nahas

It will be interesting to see how HFC/BHFC measure the balance of time to prepare players for the seniors versus winning.

With two games of finals footy to play following this VFL match, I would think the HFC may consider prioritising winning the game vs playing only limited minutes. Having the ability to keep their reserve players playing and match fit is hugely important for finals.

Excuse number three does not hold water. If we had finished one or two we would have been hosting a final as in previous years.

Can’t get to Port, assumed it would be on the telly but no. Radio it will have to be for me.

Last edited:
Have any other clubs been shafted by the AFL/VFL when it comes to changing finals standard protocol, due to'unforseen circumstances,' or are we, Hawks and Box Hill, Hawks the only unlucky ones?

Excuse number three does not hold water. If we had finished one or two we would have been hosting a final as in previous years.

Can’t get to Port, assumed it would be on the telly but no. Radio it will have to be for me.
Bumps, same with me (cant get to port) as having friends around later and I’ve just put some lamb on the spit roast and cracked a can. Spewing the game isn’t televised. On which radio station is it on?

Channel 7 are a weird bunch. Main channel has the racing, which is probably fair, but their secondary channels are sticking with some random extremely light entertainment programs. Surely with no other football on today, they would televise this game to grab the bored football viewing population?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bumps, same with me (cant get to port) as having friends around later and I’ve just put some lamb on the spit roast and cracked a can. Spewing the game isn’t televised. On which radio station is it on?

It will be on 3WBC (94.1) but it is also being live streamed by the VFL.

Channel 7 are a weird bunch. Main channel has the racing, which is probably fair, but their secondary channels are sticking with some random extremely light entertainment programs. Surely with no other football on today, they would televise this game to grab the bored football viewing population?

There is probably some dopey rule that they are only allowed to televise two VFL matches, or they can't televise any matches on Saturday arvo or something. They will have some pathetic excuse.

There is probably some dopey rule that they are only allowed to televise two VFL matches, or they can't televise any matches on Saturday arvo or something. They will have some pathetic excuse.

You might be right there. They've shown all the Saturday matches this year, due to them not having rights for a Sat arvo AFL match, but yeah we all know they have some very strange reasons about telecasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back