2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Richmond fans are going to boast that there bigger than Collingwood now then i expect to see attendances similar to what Collingwood were getting in 2010, 2011 seasons. If all goes well i reckon they can better Collingwoods 61,488 average home attendance from 2011.

Predictions for AFLX-

Hindmarsh - capacity
Etihad - 39k
Allianz - 21k

Obviously it's hard to predict. I've estimated based it on
1. Public curiosity at a new format Vs naysayers who wouldn't give it a shot;
2. The fact that it will be in the preseason and
3. Ticket prices, which are actually pretty reasonable.

How well it is marketed in the leadup will have a determination on whether it gets to those figures or exceeds them as well. Senior/elite player participation or otherwise will also be a factor.

If Richmond fans are going to boast that there bigger than Collingwood now then i expect to see attendances similar to what Collingwood were getting in 2010, 2011 seasons. If all goes well i reckon they can better Collingwoods 61,488 average home attendance from 2011.
Not with Gws and Gold coast in the league. Also dont double up against all of the rest of the “big 4”

I think Collingwoods record might never be broken. They did it at the right time

Won’t be reached due to lack of blockbuster home games this year. If we had dream time or Anzac eve as well as round one it would be possible.
Mother’s Day against Fremantle again is a crowd killer also.
Will be around 50000 I think.

We got super lucky by having dream time, Anzac Eve, nicks farewell game and a little resurgent from the blues when we played them a second time, they boosted attendances at home games heaps this year. For my money even if we equal last years club record that would be huge

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not with Gws and Gold coast in the league. Also dont double up against all of the rest of the “big 4”

I think Collingwoods record might never be broken. They did it at the right time
GWS and Gold Coast away do hurt, but now with the new Perth stadium and the Adelaide Oval, you'll cover for the loss of fans.

Port Power V Collingwood 21,863 (AAMI) Port Power V Richmond 42,000? (AO)
Fremantle V Collingwood 31,985 (Subiaco) West Coast V Richmond 55,000? (PS)

If richmond have a strong season along with the cats and bombers, those fixtures both on Friday nights in round 20, 22 could be similar to anzac eve, dream-time attendance.

GWS and Gold Coast away do hurt, but now with the new Perth stadium and the Adelaide Oval, you'll cover for the loss of fans.

If richmond have a strong season along with the cats and bombers, those fixtures both on Friday nights in round 20, 22 could be similar to anzac eve, dream-time attendance.

You're right but there are lots of "coulds" and "maybes". Coulds and maybes are notoriously tricky animals.

Wasn't it just a home games stat?

Richmond have the same number of total games against the big 4 next year as Collingwood did in 2011, but have one more home game than we did back then.

Gold Coast and GWS make it tougher these days but it won't hurt the home game total for Richmond next year as they don't have a home game against either of them.

Here's the home games for Collingwood in 2011 against Richmond in 2018. Which one would you pick for higher drawing power?

upload_2018-1-23_20-39-22.png

Edit: Only blockbuster home game for Collingwood in 2011 was the Round 3 'flag raiser' against Carlton. ANZAC Day and QB were both away games.

Last edited:
Richmond have the same number of total games against the big 4 next year as Collingwood did in 2011, but have one more home game than we did back then.

Gold Coast and GWS make it tougher these days but it won't hurt the home game total for Richmond next year as they don't have a home game against either of them.

Here's the home games for Collingwood in 2011 against Richmond in 2018. Which one would you pick for higher drawing power?

View attachment 453093

Edit: Only blockbuster home game for Collingwood in 2011 was the Round 3 'flag raiser' against Carlton. ANZAC Day and QB were both away games.

It’s going to come down to from and a bit of pot luck I think.
Don’t think we will get close 550000 would be huge, but I hope to be proven wrong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The new Perth Stadium looks sensational and gives the AFL the upper hand all around the country when it comes to stadiums

I cant wait till the AFL season proper starts. Now to get on with finishing Kardinia Park and Manuka Oval for the full set.

Hear hear for Manuka. But there is more than just Kardinia and Manuka. Hopefully demand will see the missing pieces at spotless and Metricon filled within the decade (assuming capacity boost for comm games is temporary). Then there is next stage of updating the SCG as well as the stadium precincts of Etihad and the MCG.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The ‘sold out in 10 minutes’ new Perth stadium only getting 53,781 for its first event is another reminder for those expecting WC to average 60k at home this year to temper their expectations a little bit. There’ll always be those who are entitled to a seat who don’t show up.

Did anyone here go the ODI? If so, what did you think of the stadium? Hopefully they’ve got it right and it'll be embraced like Adelaide Oval is in Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ‘sold out in 10 minutes’ new Perth stadium only getting 53,781 for its first event is another reminder for those expecting WC to average 60k at home this year to temper their expectations a little bit. There’ll always be those who are entitled to a seat who don’t show up.

Did anyone here go the ODI? If so, what did you think of the stadium? Hopefully they’ve got it right and it'll be embraced like Adelaide Oval is in Adelaide.
Still reckon they will beat that figure as the cricket lose a lot of people because of the sight boards.It can never be 60,000 because of that reason for cricket but AFL ?

Still reckon they will beat that figure as the cricket lose a lot of people because of the sight boards.It can never be 60,000 because of that reason for cricket but AFL ?

They’ll beat the figure on multiple occasions I would hope. The first match and the derbies you would think for sure, and hopefully others as well. However WC have been selling out Subiaco for years and getting no more than 36-37k on average, which is well down on the capacity. No reason to think that it will be easy to get over 90% of capacity on a regular basis at the new ground either, although the novelty factor could help in the early stages.

As for cricket, I don’t know what the capacity was yesterday, although it’s worth noting that Adelaide Oval somehow beat the record football crowd by 1500 people on day one of the Ashes text in December. Do they let more people in knowing that an any given point thousands will be in the marquees outside the stands?

They’ll beat the figure on multiple occasions I would hope. The first match and the derbies you would think for sure, and hopefully others as well. However WC have been selling out Subiaco for years and getting no more than 36-37k on average, which is well down on the capacity. No reason to think that it will be easy to get over 90% of capacity on a regular basis at the new ground either, although the novelty factor could help in the early stages.

As for cricket, I don’t know what the capacity was yesterday, although it’s worth noting that Adelaide Oval somehow beat the record football crowd by 1500 people on day one of the Ashes text in December. Do they let more people in knowing that an any given point thousands will be in the marquees outside the stands?
The village green out the back of the western stand was counted in the attendance. The actual stadium only holds 53,568. I think the village green allows for an extra 6,000 people.

Capacity for cricket is 55k I believe, so not too bad a turnout for what was mostly a day ODI in Perth. I can’t see any reason why the WCE can not get similar capacity/utilisation rates as the Crows do for Adelaide Oval

The village green out the back of the western stand was counted in the attendance. The actual stadium only holds 53,568. I think the village green allows for an extra 6,000 people.

Correct, that’s a little bit dodgy there by the AO. Accordingly the AFL could sell extra tickets to that centre square corporate hospitality thing they do on Grand Final day and we can give the 1970 record attendance a shake...

Correct, that’s a little bit dodgy there by the AO. Accordingly the AFL could sell extra tickets to that centre square corporate hospitality thing they do on Grand Final day and we can give the 1970 record attendance a shake...

For me its just cricket trying to get one up on football.

Hear hear for Manuka. But there is more than just Kardinia and Manuka. Hopefully demand will see the missing pieces at spotless and Metricon filled within the decade (assuming capacity boost for comm games is temporary). Then there is next stage of updating the SCG as well as the stadium precincts of Etihad and the MCG.

Regrettably the NSW govt has preferenced funding to knock down and rebuild Allianz stadium with a few more thousand seats rather than redevelop the SCG. This is despite average crowds at Allianz for NRL, Super Rugby and A league matches currently a long way from it's current capacity.

Predictions for AFLX-

Hindmarsh - capacity
Etihad - 39k
Allianz - 21k

Obviously it's hard to predict. I've estimated based it on
1. Public curiosity at a new format Vs naysayers who wouldn't give it a shot;
2. The fact that it will be in the preseason and
3. Ticket prices, which are actually pretty reasonable.

How well it is marketed in the leadup will have a determination on whether it gets to those figures or exceeds them as well. Senior/elite player participation or otherwise will also be a factor.
Handmarsh 14k
Etihad 19k
SFS 3500
Reckon it will be a disaster.

Handmarsh 14k
Etihad 19k
SFS 3500
Reckon it will be a disaster.
Thing is, you may turn out to be right.

I'm starting to think I've way overestimated my predictions.

Although the AFL do still have time for more promotion at this stage if ticket sales are slow.

Thing is, you may turn out to be right.

I'm starting to think I've way overestimated my predictions.

Although the AFL do still have time for more promotion at this stage if ticket sales are slow.

Ill have a go
Handmarsh 15k
Etihad 29k
SFS 6500

This will be more about the TV ratings you would think and such a radical move will take time to settle in.

I hope the AFL pull the same stunt and get way over 100,000 at the GF and make a nice dollar as well You could easily have 10,000 outside on the concourse.

Ill have a go
Handmarsh 15k
Etihad 29k
SFS 6500

This will be more about the TV ratings you would think and such a radical move will take time to settle in.
It will get very good tv ratings due to the curiosity factor. People may not be willing to fork out for a ticket yet due to skepticism about the format even though ticket prices are very affordable.

However if seats are noticeably largely empty it will impact on perception that AFLX is unattractive even if the game itself turns out to be attractive on field.

Another factor that may be holding back AFLX from being embraced is the seeming strong resistance to change AFL fans have. Contrast the general malaise of AFL fans towards AFLX to that of RL fans to the Auckland 9's. With that, they originally had sell outs of Eden Park. AFLX probably won't get near that level of enthusiasm at the grounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back