\2006|35,094|-564|136
\2005|35,658|+1,878|136
\2004|33,780|+636|136
\2003|33,144|+1,127|136
\2002|32,017|-1,465|136
\2001|33,482|+1,297|136
\2000|32,185|-1,193|136
\1999|33,378|-557|136
I had thought that a Richmond flag and the new Perth stadium would have had a more positive effect on crowds this year than it has.

I had thought that a Richmond flag and the new Perth stadium would have had a more positive effect on crowds this year than it has.

Fair call, but overall crowds only increased marginally in 2014 despite a jump of 16K in SA with the move to Adelaide Oval. You've also got Hawthorn in decline, and Essendon and Carlton being out of business early. I think it's acknowledged that the World Cup & Commonwealth Games had an impact. And anecdotally, I suspect there have been more weather-affected matches this season. These things have probably been discussed to death already in this thread.

Crowds are up marginally in Queensland despite both local teams continuing to struggle. Swings and roundabouts, but probably a slight disappointment overall.

The Whateleys of the world talking the game down can't be healthy either.

Looks a very disappointing crowd at Ethihad tonight. Sure the Saints are going poorly but I think this is well below what most people would’ve expected. Looks only around 35,000 to me.
Ah the Etihad thing strikes again. Just as well Melbournians have the MCG to keep up the "sporting capital of the world" facade going. Otherwise no one would believe them.

Ah the Etihad thing strikes again. Just as well Melbournians have the MCG to keep up the "sporting capital of the world" facade going. Otherwise no one would believe them.
I believe this game has drawn between 45-47K in the last couple of years. The Saints are going much worse this year however... Still, it’s a marquee match with lots of publicity so 35,000 would be a disappointing crowd.

Hard to compare figures from all over the world but in terms of Australia I compiled every crowd for Melbourne and Sydney for all regular leagues for the period Oct 2016 - Sep 2017 and found Melbourne ended up at around 5.1 million and Sydney 2.6 million. And that’s without counting special events such as the Tennis, Grand Prix and Spring Racing Carnival which all bring in several hundred thousand.

So we’re still going ok even if we have (largely silly) issues with Docklands.

I believe this game has drawn between 45-47K in the last couple of years. The Saints are going much worse this year however... Still, it’s a marquee match with lots of publicity so 35,000 would be a disappointing crowd.
36,269 thats 25% down on the last two matches and the "Richmond Army" has 100,000 members - well not many turned up tonight It looked like there were more Saints fans there LOL

36,269 thats 25% down on the last two matches and the "Richmond Army" has 100,000 members - well not many turned up tonight It looked like there were more Saints fans there LOL

Out of curiosity, is there any group of supporters you don't put quote marks around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very disappointing.. but it was shaping as a one sided contest. You can’t fool the punters I guess.

Agree with what u said! But it was somewhat underwhelming. I dont know how it came across on TV i will watch the replay shortly but at the ground it felt as flat as a match that ive gone too, so much so i said it was the most boring game ive gone to in 10 years.

Last edited:
Marquee?? :drunk: Bullshit. Game had nothing going for it. I could barely summon the interest to attend. Tiger army doesn't do shitihad anway. Excellent crowd in the circumstances.

Haha i think Dave10 is just taking the piss. No one in their right mind would think this game is a marquee game.

I think Etihad if the contest is going to be a big one the fans will go like the 44K Rich V Sydney on a thurs night. Fans arent fooled anymore the biggest challenge to crowds is live against the gate if the game is going to be mediocre they'll much rather kick back at home and watch it live. It was 8 degrees but thats also the another excuse people can use to say ahh stuff this im watching it live on the couch with heater on.

It was a snore fest and the saints putrid!!! we were saying geez they are 10 goals down and they are chipping it around obviously to minimize a much higher belting. Saints fans were booing this chip kicking backwards, sideways etc

Last edited:
36,269 tonight. A little disappointing.

40K wouldve liked nicer but then i think 36K against a team near the bottom of the ladder oh well thems the breaks.
For our fans i think we are more talking and looking forward to next week V pies, saints fans even they didnt roll up like they did last year which is to be expected.

Not at all, without sounding condescending our fans didnt give a yelp, we would've had half the crowd but blind freddy could see the game was over in the first quarter. Its a weird feeling it was really flat and i mean supporter engagement. Next week V pies it will be ballistic but tonight was just weird i myself normally go off but my voice is fine, i guess we were never really challenged to get the fans off their seats.

So just an average day ahead weather wise. I think the MCG prediction if 53,000 at the G today will be close to the money.

Essendon V Fremantle today is not a marketers dream but Essendon are at least putting some wins together. History points to a crowd of around 30,000 today, potentially pushing towards 31-32,000.

Not at all, without sounding condescending our fans didnt give a yelp, we would've had half the crowd but blind freddy could see the game was over in the first quarter. Its a weird feeling it was really flat and i mean supporter engagement. Next week V pies it will be ballistic but tonight was just weird i myself normally go off but my voice is fine, i guess we were never really challenged to get the fans off their seats.
Real fanatical supporters go to every match they can esp after a premiership win and enjoy the big wins?
So with that in mind Richmond have about 20,000 real supporters that follow the Tigers anywhere the others are MCG band wagoners.
But I do agree that live against the gate is starting to hurt crowds esp now in the middle of a very cold winter.

So just an average day ahead weather wise. I think the MCG prediction if 53,000 at the G today will be close to the money.

Essendon V Fremantle today is not a marketers dream but Essendon are at least putting some wins together. History points to a crowd of around 30,000 today, potentially pushing towards 31-32,000.

I’d expect higher than that for Essendon v Dockers. There really isn’t much data to look at since last years Round 23 match was the first time we played them at Etihad since 2010. I would’ve thought 35,000. Bombers fans are up and about.

Bulldogs, saints, Carlton, can be banned from Friday night football next year, screw equalisation.

I’d expect higher than that for Essendon v Dockers. There really isn’t much data to look at since last years Round 23 match was the first time we played them at Etihad since 2010. I would’ve thought 35,000. Bombers fans are up and about.
35,000 would be a big rollup to Ethihad for this fixture. 12th V 13th. Dockers don’t excite the masses. Essendon drew 31,000 against the Power earlier this year and they have a similar pulling factor in Victoria. Though Essendon were travelling a bit worse at that point, Power travelling better than the Dockers at that point. 31,000 feels like about what we could expect.

Will be interested in the Carlton V Hawthorn turn up. Carlton at its historical low will only draw the truest of believers. To me it appears the Hawks are all but done and dusted as of now.
26-28,000?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back