2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thats correct.So its not a total sellout till all those tickets are sold!

Still having a solo about the mcc I see.. Who do you reckon paid for the redevelopment and added capacity? State government only contributed a minority share.
The rest was the MCC.
You know there is a solution to your whinging: become an MCC member and guarentee your own ticket to any and every game.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still having a solo about the mcc I see.. Who do you reckon paid for the redevelopment and added capacity? State government only contributed a minority share.
The rest was the MCC.
You know there is a solution to your whinging: become an MCC member and guarentee your own ticket to any and every game.

Australian football paid for the redevelopment of the MCG. The MCC is vested by the government to manage the stadium but ultimately is for the most part a parasite club on the AFL. Remove that privilege and the AFL would have another 25K seats to develop a commercial model around that could easily have redeveloped the MCG. It built the docklands on a commercial contract despite it being the second stadium.

It's not going to change but it does not make it any less a parasite club with historically very elitist roots and now ridiculously inequitable when you consider what actual members of the football clubs that put on a show have to pay to get guaranteed access to GF tickets if they make it.

Demonoid

All Australian
Dec 17, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GWS
The rest was the MCC.
Or, purchase a higher category of membership and be guaranteed the right to buy/access a grand final ticket. Seriously though, when you follow a big 4 club you have to expect that tickets to finals will be hard to come by, especially when playing another big 4 club.

As for the MCC, i'd describe them as a necessary evil.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Or, purchase a higher category of membership and be guaranteed the right to buy/access a grand final ticket. Seriously though, when you follow a big 4 club you have to expect that tickets to finals will be hard to come by, especially when playing another big 4 club.

As for the MCC, i'd describe them as a necessary evil.
The rest was the MCC.

No! The MCC is an historical fact that aint going to change any time soon.

I just dont like the media hype and BS that the match is a sellout when it clearly isnt. My hope is the MCC sell the 13,000 tickets today and the crowd gets close to 100,000

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
No! The MCC is an historical fact that aint going to change any time soon.

I just dont like the media hype and BS that the match is a sellout when it clearly isnt. My hope is the MCC sell the 13,000 tickets today and the crowd gets close to 100,000
I think the majority of the 13,000 will go considering the line is already building. Don't mind the media using the term sellout, as the general public can no longer purchase tickets. I think it will be close, the mcc line was already looking pretty an hour or two ago.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think the majority of the 13,000 will go considering the line is already building. Don't mind the media using the term sellout, as the general public can no longer purchase tickets. I think it will be close, the mcc line was already looking pretty an hour or two ago.
It would actually be pretty irresponsible for the media to say it wasn't sold out and imply tickets were available, when in fact, they are not.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Given the way tickets were sold there are $900 Collingwood legends members (and no doubt Richmond equivalents) and gold AFL members with club support unable to attend

If this walk up bull s**t results in empty seats in the MCC it is a fvcking disgrace no matter how you look at it

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
It would actually be pretty irresponsible for the media to say it wasn't sold out and imply tickets were available, when in fact, they are not.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

"It would actually be pretty irresponsible for the media to say it was sold out" It should be reported as sold out except for MCC members.

Knowing how stupid a lot of the public are even MCC members could think there were no tickets for them to buy an not bother to get in line.
It also creates the situation that if the weather turns bad on the day of sale people will decide not to go thus impacting an AFL crowd.

In business its always a bastard when you are someones bitch and your business is impacted by an outside force you have no control over.

Lets hope the AFL can utilize Marvel Stadium to the maximum now they have complete control.

Last edited:

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
D9F1F3DE-26BD-4393-9D48-CB64B2EC8E50.jpeg

Such a shame about MCC.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
The rest was the MCC.
And Im still having a "solo" how about the hundreds of seats vacany in yhe MCC Members reserve
The rest was the MCC.
Yep still having a solo supposedly about only 95,000 on a perfect night for footy.
How about the big area of vacant seats in the MCC members eh? and dont give me the BS they are all in the bars or having a piss!
Obviously the 13,000 were NOT sold. I hope the AFL get paid for those seats that are not being filled through the MCCs incompetent rules.The ones not sold could have gone to REAL footy supporters That top section of the Members should be given to the AFL to sell.
Our game is not played for the MCC members its for our loyal fans who go week in week out.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_21-2-56.png
    upload_2018-9-21_21-2-56.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 9

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
All they needed to do was to give one L4 bay to the public, then it would've been full.

The MCC are a disgrace and they have to change their process.

We all know that another 50k+ tickets could have been sold and that thousands of dedicated supporters missed out on getting in. I’ve been a Gold AFL Member for over 25 years and haven’t missed a single Collingwood game in nearly a decade but I initially missed out and only got to go thanks to the generosity of another poster on here. My Dad wasn’t so lucky and missed a Collingwood final for the first time since 1960.

It is unacceptable that there were at least a couple of thousand empty seats in the MCC. Use them or lose them, it’s that simple.

kaypee

All Australian
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls
I reckon with a bit of redesign you could easily get MCG up another 15k in capacity. I was at Croke park the other day and the standing room terrace was brilliant and easily the most packed part of the ground (tickets slightly cheaper too). You could easily do temporary standing room in quite a few bays and get the capacity right up for big, big mataches

Back