2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be interesting to see the crowd figures for our home games against Richmond during our premiership era, pretty sure we were getting bigger crowds back then.

Brisbane/Richmond games at the Gabba were all within the 30-33k range between 2001 and 2006 but have continuously dropped are now at around 20-22k.

I think in the circumstances it was an acceptable round. No real highlights but no real horror stories either.

The Hawthorn V Melbourne 43K was more than acceptable in the circumstances.
The 33K for Richmond was disappointing but in the weather on the day it was hardly surprising.
Essendon had had a deflating run out the previous week and almost 31K V Port was a good solid turn out in the circumstances.

Clear concerns going into the coming rounds for the Saints, Blues and Lions given the fact that they are not just losing but being eviscerated but there are always some clubs bouncing along the bottom. That is unavoidable.

Huge games coming up. The block will be busted !!!!

Can't remember the last time a round was so destroyed by the weather. We had games in 4 different states/territories that were subjected to massive downpours. To still average over 30k for the round despite this and games in Tassie and Canberra is a decent effort.

Fingers crossed for good weather this weekend and then Tuesday/Wednesday. Could be record breaking.

As an optimistic guess:

Syd v Adel: 35k+
StK v GWS: 20k
Carl v WC: 25k
Port v Geel: 45k
Freo v WB: 45k+
Nth v Haw: 35k
Bris v GC: 20k
Mel v Rich: 90k
Coll v Ess: 90k

This would give us over 400k and the record. A man can dream, anyway.

What are Freo fans' expectations for the Len Hall game?

Can't remember the last time a round was so destroyed by the weather. We had games in 4 different states/territories that were subjected to massive downpours. To still average over 30k for the round despite this and games in Tassie and Canberra is a decent effort.

Fingers crossed for good weather this weekend and then Tuesday/Wednesday. Could be record breaking.

As an optimistic guess:

Optimistic but not impossible.

Perhaps the Saints will struggle to get 20K V GWS. Let's be frank. They are an onfield shambles. I think something around 17K more likely.

Carlton are suffering yet another stillborn season but their base attendances VS inter staters have been holding up very well considering the unendurable rubbish the fans are being asked to watch....I think 27K is possible.

Lions are another basket case but 20K just possible before their season spirals away into NRL type figures unless they actually kick a few goals.

Dees disappointed this week but the 10 day gap plus enormous pre game sales means 90K is possible but I think unlikely. Tigers were washed out this week and are 3 and 1. Somewhere in the 86/87K bracket for me though 90K not impossible if the Dee supporting cricket fans in the good seats actually get up and attend.

Essendon and C'wood both coming off wins and with a 10 day wait for footy.....90K.

Da3e2Z5VMAIrw5P.jpg:large

As an optimistic guess:

If St.Kilda could only scrap 19k against Adelaide who had a large away support, i doubt they'll get more than 15k against Western Sydney.

MCG predicting 82K for Melbourne-Richmond and 90K for Collingwood-Essendon

and 26k for Carlton v West Coast.

I would hope all 3 matches reach those expectations given good weather.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our match is going to be interesting. I’d like to see it get 35k but I think something like 27-30k is more likely. Not the best time slot but both fan bases should be feeling somewhat optimistic.

I’m thinking the StK GWS game could draw less than the 16,700 Carl drew against GWS in 2015. No reason to suggest why it should draw more than carlton in similar circumstances. There were still expectations that the saints would hold their ground this season but it looks like they peaked last season. The crowd will be around the 15.5K mark.

The Melb loss was so bad that you could call it an aberration. I don’t think it will have any bearing on the crowd. I’m thinking it will still hit 90k and the Anzac Day game 91.5K.

20k is pretty optimistic for the Q clash. 15k more likely. It's a shame because I think the fixture has alot of potential.
Might not be that bad: Gold Coast's first game for the season in Queensland, and the last Gabba match from Brisbane was promising atleast. I'd say 20k would be even on the low side, given good weather.

MCG predicting 82K for Melbourne-Richmond and 90K for Collingwood-Essendon

Everything is of course weather dependent but assuming decent weather I think 82,000 is a bit under for Melbourne V Richmond.

My own prediction on the R5 attendance thread was 87,000 and I would be prepared to bet my prediction will be closer than the G's. who have been conservative this year. Forget last weekend washed out by rain. In previous rounds they had been several thousand under on most games.

Melbourne V Richmond 87K
Essendon V Colllingwood 90K

That said any 80,000 crowd in a Home and Away game is a huge turnout and if it is 82,000 I'll be happy with that. Let's not forget that only once this century so far has a game featuring Melbourne drawn more than 80,000. We need some sense of perspective.

Last edited:
So nice to just read crowd comments.

I fear for the saints crowd. It couldn't be a worst start to the season to a team which was meant to be alright. And they playing GWS, who should thrash them. They got 18-22K(?) against the same team on a Friday night last year and they were half decent then.

Think both ANZACS will be huge. I love ANZAC Day eve. It is really welll done and it is a credit to both clubs. North Hawks 30K for me.

So were ratings down across the board due to 7mate?
Maybe but the fact that the "footy is on mate" was heavily promoted in the lead up should have lessened the blow but didn't. I was staggered by how much the 7mate/comm games affected AFL ratings.

Maybe but the fact that the "footy is on mate" was heavily promoted in the lead up should have lessened the blow but didn't. I was staggered by how much the 7mate/comm games affected AFL ratings.

Dont forget the AFL was up against the Comm Games as well.

I dont think CH 7 would be all that worried.

Having Foxtel I wont watch the crap second rate picture on 7 and I think they would lose thousands of people like me who want to watch the best and clearest picture

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit optimistic. MCC suggested 42,000 meaning rain impact was around 10,000. I still think it would’ve drawn around 44/45,000 however in good conditions.

Yeah I thought around 45K too. We did get 47K v Lions in 2013 but there was a bit more excitement being generated then. Their was a fair bit of disinterest on the tigers board leading up to the game with many looking ahead to Anzac eve and pies game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back