2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And they could both probably manage without it now. North could return to its ballarat initiative - they only left it for Tassie after being told it was off the table.

Queensland, NSW and Victoria all contribute through other means that far outweigh what is spent there. Not least of which is broadcast income and sponsorship. Tasmania's contribution as a regional tv station with average ratings less than 40,000 - less than regional WA i might add - is almost negligble. Not to mention the TAC Cup is the source of half the recruits in the AFL draft.

So it shows investment does yield results. So why has Tasmania fared so poorly with the equity of AFL support?

This is the whole point of where we are now.

If we actually had a club, we too might watch them like regional areas in WA, SA & every bloody where else.

St Kilda's finishing ladder positions in the 18-team era: 9th, 16th, 18th, 14th, 9th, 11th. Criticism of the Saints for their on-field performance is fair game, but their crowd numbers have held up pretty well, all things considered.

A team based in Tasmania with that record isn't filling a stadium against GWS either, let's get real.

But but, Melbourne is the centre of Football, Melbourne is the centre of sport, Melbourne is growing rapidly, Melbourne can support all its clubs, Melbourne has the biggest crowds, Melbourne clubs have history, blah blah blah.

You make assumptive comment about Tasmania despite us not having a club.

Another BF expert on Tasmania, just making things up to suit his bias.

The MCC has raised their prediction for ANZAC Eve from 82k to 85k. Still the best part of a week to go, plenty of time to gain a bit more momentum and with a bit of luck crack the 90k mark.

Ticket sales must be tracking well. Will be 90K by Tuesday - all roads will lead to the G. Tiger army keen for another blockbuster I think.

But but, Melbourne is the centre of Football, Melbourne is the centre of sport, Melbourne is growing rapidly, Melbourne can support all its clubs, Melbourne has the biggest crowds, Melbourne clubs have history, blah blah blah.

You make assumptive comment about Tasmania despite us not having a club.

Another BF expert on Tasmania, just making things up to suit his bias.
Let's all listen to this guy, he seems way more impartial and level-headed than everybody else regarding the topic at hand.

Look in a mirror, spud.
And now resorting to name calling. It's really not controversial to say losing hurts a team's popularity regardless of where they play, yet you're reacting to that statement like it's a personal attack.

Very disappointing couple of posts, you should apologise to me unreservedly.

While you're at it, cite a single example in AFL history of a club missing finals on six or more consecutive occasions without it damaging their attendance figures.

Until you can do both of those things, we have nothing more to talk about.

A very solid 38,017 @ scg.

That crowd would beat the majority of Victorian clubs against Adelaide at home.

Pretty good really for a Friday in Sydney. Looked great on TV as well.

Apart from the two expected big crowds coming in Melbourne this week it will be interesting how the rest of the Melbourne clubs home games go.

Last edited:
And now resorting to name calling. It's really not controversial to say losing hurts a team's popularity regardless of where they play, yet you're reacting to that statement like it's a personal attack.

While you're at it, cite a single example in AFL history of a club missing finals on six or more consecutive occasions without it damaging their attendance figures.

Read your last post & tell me you didn't make a personal attack.

Again, look in a mirror, spud.

Let's all listen to this guy, he seems way more impartial and level-headed than everybody else regarding the topic at hand.

All views get a gig here, there are few voices in the Tas corner, few that dont have vested interests .... very few AFL fans deny the footy nursery that Tas was once, shame those deniers are thick on the ground at AFL HQ.

You want an apology ..... :rolleyes: ... an unreserved apology :'(

A very solid 38,017 @ scg.

That crowd would beat the majority of Victorian clubs against Adelaide at home.
Terrific crowd.

I think 26k for Carlton would be a very good crowd all things considered. The weather and MCG helps. It could have been a sub-20k game in the middle of winter at Docklands. St Kilda might not be so fortunate.

St Kilda's finishing ladder positions in the 18-team era: 9th, 16th, 18th, 14th, 9th, 11th. Criticism of the Saints for their on-field performance is fair game, but their crowd numbers have held up pretty well, all things considered.
I actually disagree. When they have been competitive around the 8, their crowds have been underwhelming. They were there about for almost all of 2016 and 2017. In fact they are drawing in-line with smaller clubs Melbourne, North, and Footscray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually disagree. When they have been competitive around the 8, their crowds have been underwhelming. They were there about for almost all of 2016 and 2017. In fact they are drawing in-line with smaller clubs Melbourne, North, and Footscray.

Their home average over the past couple of season has been about 31,000. Not a million miles off the competition average. They have struggled but it is not a crisis......yet. It may well become one if the anaemic effort continues.

Ratings for last night 763k fta and 300k Stv. Back to normal transmission post comm games with a combined north of 1m for a Friday night

Their home average over the past couple of season has been about 31,000. Not a million miles off the competition average. They have struggled but it is not a crisis......yet. It may well become one if the anaemic effort continues.
Since 2016 they have gone 50-50 W/L, so as average as can be. In 11 matches against interstate sides they have averaged 22,572 (or 20,606 excluding Sydney). For me, with a decent sample size that's very underwhelming. That's in line with North, Footscray, Melbourne this century who have an equal or much worse (in Melbourne's case) W/L record.

For comparison, St Kilda averaged 19,733 in their terrible 3 year period (2013-2015) where they won only 23% of matches.

Pretty good crowd at the g I reckon.

The crowds and overall poor performance ( today the exception) for the Saints are a worry for the AFL

I’m heading to Q Clash tomorrow hoping for 20k but 15 is more likely
I just realised the awful timeslot for the Q clash. I'd be very surprised if they are anything near 20k for 4:40 on a Sunday evening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back