2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I just realised the awful timeslot for the Q clash. I'd be very surprised if they are anything near 20k for 4:40 on a Sunday evening.
Crazy slot. People from the coast wont be home til 830 or later. Not kid friendly on a school night

We managed to get about roughly 24000 against Geelong in 2013 for a 4.40pm Sunday game (think it was school holidays though) but having GC as the away team is a bit silly, neither team brings many fans to away Q clashes as it is.

Think we'll get somewhere between 17000-19000

As an optimistic guess:

Syd v Adel: 35k+
StK v GWS: 20k
Carl v WC: 25k
Port v Geel: 45k
Freo v WB: 45k+
Nth v Haw: 35k
Bris v GC: 20k
Mel v Rich: 90k
Coll v Ess: 90k

43,056 at Freo/Dogs means that the actual total so far for the round is 169,301 which is almost exactly on par with my optimistic guess of 170,000. If the remaining games get within 5k of my predictions we will break the attendance record for a single round.

I just realised the awful timeslot for the Q clash. I'd be very surprised if they are anything near 20k for 4:40 on a Sunday evening.
Fingers crossed the Hawks v Roos clash gets 35,000, I just can't see it happening. Praying for it to get to 35k though!

I thought that just shy of 28K for the Carlton game was a very good turnout. When we consider that they are enduring yet another dispiriting season which was dead on delivery adding to the now lenghtening line of dispiriting seasons and that they have become effectively permanent cellar dwellers with no real sign of any measurable improvement we realise that they are down to the hard care....the true irreducible minimum.

In the circumstances 28,000 is not bad at all.............in fact it is better than par. Carlton remain a very very big club. Much bigger than any form or expectation related difficulties reveal.

Given that we have won 1 of our last 15 games, coming off a particularly horrific game last week and only averaging around 67 points a game this year I would say 28k is very good. Only a little less than double what the saints got.

I agree. I think Carlton attendances have held up very well in the circumstances. Obviously there is a real sense of disillusion and that is flattening membership numbers which are miles below par but when it comes to attending games Carlton's core welded on support has been remarkably patient and loyal because that club has been and is a car crash in slo mo.

In round 5, in the Saturday Twilight slot at the MCG (which has drawn quite well for MCG tenant clubs) against West Coast (who have drawn reasonable numbers to MCG fixtures in recent years?)

I am aware Hawthorn drew a similar number to an identifical fixture last year (28,997 - albeit in the 4.40pm Sunday twilight slot) but is it really baseline for Carlton?

Is a mid 20,000 crowd against West Coast (at least in Victoria) like an early 30,000 crowd against Sydney? Not trying to get into a tit for tat on crowd numbers but these clubs draw significantly larger crowds in Victoria compared to Gold Coast and GWS

No recent Hawthorn crowd can be compared with any recent Carlton one. Carlton are a shambles. Hawthorn are not. Anything but.

Yes WCE is a bigger draw than say Gold Coast but Carlton are dismally shockingly poor. They have bottomed out as badly as any recent club has done so and show no real signs of a revival at all. I think they are down to the hard core now.

Most sensible predictions were mid 20s. 28K was on the high side of realistic hopes for a becalmed club enduring another stillborn season. Frankly if I was a blue I would despair of the fifth rate rubbish that is served up as an attempt to run a footy club.

No recent Hawthorn crowd can be compared with any recent Carlton one. Carlton are a shambles. Hawthorn are not. Anything but.

Yes WCE is a bigger draw than say Gold Coast but Carlton are dismally shockingly poor. They have bottomed out as badly as any recent club has done so and show no real signs of a revival at all. I think they are down to the hard core now.

Most sensible predictions were mid 20s. 28K was on the high side of realistic hopes for a becalmed club enduring another stillborn season. Frankly if I was a blue I would despair of the fifth rate rubbish that is served up as an attempt to run a footy club.

The Carlton shambles is retrospective. In 2016 and parts of 2017 they showed signs of revival. Certainly they were a shambles in 2015 (and drew 16,676 against the Giants which is a true baseline). Amazing to think they were premiership favourites in the early rounds of 2012! In Bolton’s first year they was plenty of positivity and optimism around Carlton. That has clearly expired.

Carlton’s numbers are much more more durable then they were in 2002-05 (were they drew a number of 14k-17k crowds at Princes Park and at the MCG). Perhaps they now have the same stockholme syndrome that took Richmond fans in the mid 1990s?

That said they have fallen along way behind Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Essendon for club membership / engagement (but that’s for a different thread). Huge potential but probably the poorest managed club at the moment...

The Carlton shambles is retrospective. In 2016 and parts of 2017 they showed signs of revival. Certainly they were a shambles in 2015 (and drew 16,676 against the Giants which is a true baseline). Amazing to think they were premiership favourites in the early rounds of 2012! In Bolton’s first year they was plenty of positivity and optimism around Carlton. That has clearly expired.

Carlton’s numbers are much more more durable then they were in 2002-05 (were they drew a number of 14k-17k crowds at Princes Park and at the MCG). Perhaps they now have the same stockholme syndrome that took Richmond fans in the mid 1990s?

That said they have fallen along way behind Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Essendon for club membership / engagement (but that’s for a different thread). Huge potential but probably the poorest managed club at the moment...

Brief flickering signs that were quickly snuffed out and they are back to square one....again. this will be their fifth successive year bouncing along the basement and in 2013 they crept into the 8..

I think that 16K was an outlier. I would be very surprised if it was repeated. I have been impressed with how their crowds have stood up overall. Barring a truly hideous series of results I don'#t see them dropping much below say 22/23K again for a while.

There isn’t anyone better in this area than Cain Liddle. Expect the blues to double their membership in the next 4-5 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a very poor crowd with both teams coming into the game with good form. Imagine if North didn’t towel up Carlton last week?

Docklands keeps stinking up crowds when compared to the corresponding at the MCG. Again this weekend with Carlton. No way they get 25k if it was at Docklands. If this afternoon’s game was at the MCG I just don’t see how it draws under 30k.

Geez, I’m amazed how poor that Roos/Hawks crowd was; considering how well both sides have started this season thought would be 35-40k.

Just seems the dislike MCG Tenant clubs have for Docklands (whether home side or not) is growing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back