2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, I’m amazed how poor that Roos/Hawks crowd was; considering how well both sides have started this season thought would be 35-40k.

Just seems the dislike MCG Tenant clubs have for Docklands (whether home side or not) is growing.

You can blame all the thousands of Hawks Fans/Members who didnt bother to turn up.

Great to see North beat them. As I have said before it looks like the days of having a lot of walk ups are well gone.

It just comes back to Victorian fans being all too precious. Nothing wrong with Etihad stadium yet there seems to be a significant portion of Victorian AFL fans that refuse to go anywhere but the MCG.

While etihad / MCG is an obvious factor in crowds, I think it’s a bit rich to put it down to “precious” Victorian’s.

It was a moth Melbourne home game, probably the smallest supporter base in Melbourne, would of played a big factor. I bet there was no level one GA seats on offer to the public at etihad today. That would not of been the case at the MCG.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Encouraging to see a winless Lions on a Sunday twilight can outdraw St Kilda with a win under their belt on a Saturday afternoon.

Before anyone says they were playing GWS, Suns don't bring that many away fans to the Gabba

Yeah really dont understand the whole hate for etihad stadium. Its great. Yeah the mcg is awesome but a game being played at etihad would not stop me going to see my team play.
Irrational Etihad hatred stems purely from an overwhelmingly massive sense of entitlement and a sheep-like bandwagon that those entitled people tend to jump on in their masses.

Irrational Etihad hatred stems purely from an overwhelmingly massive sense of entitlement and a sheep-like bandwagon that those entitled people tend to jump on in their masses.
A true supporter would follow their team anywhere!
Seems like the live against the gate is also having an effect on those who hate Docklands esp away members. Much easier and cheaper to stay at home and watch on the big HD screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah really dont understand the whole hate for etihad stadium. Its great. Yeah the mcg is awesome but a game being played at etihad would not stop me going to see my team play.
Yep, I love Etihad. My seats on level 2 are absolute amazing and possibly the best viewing area there is. I’d love more games at the MCG but definitely wouldn’t stay away because it’s at Etihad

I agree there is an irrational hatred of Etihad Stadium, but how much that translates into numbers through the gate is questionable. Yesterday's crowd was the lowest for a North home game against Hawthorn since 2004 (an MCG match that only just cracked twenty thousand!). Plenty of 35-40,000 figures at Docklands for this matchup between now and then.

I agree there is an irrational hatred of Etihad Stadium, but how much that translates into numbers through the gate is questionable. Yesterday's crowd was the lowest for a North home game against Hawthorn since 2004 (an MCG match that only just cracked twenty thousand!). Plenty of 35-40,000 figures at Docklands for this matchup between now and then.

The average North V Hawthorn crowd over the past 20 years is more or less exactly 30,000. Given that Hawthorn are not the draw they were in past years for obvious reasons and that North are "meh" enough onfield I struggle to see why people think a high 20's crowd is poor.

Would have been nice to get over 30,000 but anything more would have been a bonus.

Seems like it was always never wanted and doomed for fail the docklands. video shows a survey of 17,000 respondents of fans from Victorian clubs in 1997 showing strong support for the retention of Waverly and opposing the new docklands stadium bar the bulldogs.

Waverley still is one of the worst venues I’ve been to around the world. Absolute dump of a place that would have needed a kings ransom spent on it to get it up to a decent standard

That was partly because the vfl/afl spent sweet * all maintaining it, and virtually nothing upgrading it

As we have seen in other states, no matter how good a stadium is, it goes to s**t if you dont reinvest in it

Seems like it was always never wanted and doomed for fail the docklands. video shows a survey of 17,000 respondents of fans from Victorian clubs in 1997 showing strong support for the retention of Waverly and opposing the new docklands stadium bar the bulldogs.

Probably just demonstrates how conservative melbourne football fans are

Waverley still is one of the worst venues I’ve been to around the world. Absolute dump of a place that would have needed a kings ransom spent on it to get it up to a decent standard

Viewing from ground level was brought up before from MCG/Docklands and Waverley was far worse than either.

I think what really hurt Docklands reputation was that it was virtually promoted as a corporate stadium, especially surrounding the Medallion Club. Got a lot of negative feedback when it opened and it never really recovered in the eyes of the public.

Docklands main issue is unlike the MCG and Adelaide oval those grounds have tradition of football being played there for over 150 years. Generation and generations of fans have been drilled into always attending games at those venues and have a traditional cultural following that can't just be manufactured.

Anecdotal evidence from people that I speak to about why they don’t go to Etihad, but will go the MCG mostly falls into the below three.

- They are an MCC member and don’t want to pay to get in.
- They are an AFL member, but missed out on getting a reserved seat on level 1 and don’t want to sit up the top.
- It is too expensive to reserve a seat on levels 1 and 2.

These are all valid reasons IMO. We are pretty lucky that at the MCG you can get walk up access to level 1 seating with a general admission ticket for most matches and even level 2 if you are an MCC/AFL member and get their early enough?

Apart from on BigFooty, I don’t think I’ve heard somebody say they won’t go to Etihad because it sucks. It’s actually a pretty good stadium. There’s not many stadiums around the world that look good when benchmarked against the MCG and Etihad definately suffers from being in the same city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back