2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Crowd at Manuka wasn't too bad either (somewhere over 6k I think).

I've heard some negative commentary about the quality of the game, but believe me, I've seen many pre-season games at Manuka over the years, most rubbish, but putting aside early season fumbles, I thought the quality of the game wasn't too bad, especially when you consider the Giants were missing about 8 A-graders.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Crowd at Manuka wasn't too bad either (somewhere over 6k I think).

I've heard some negative commentary about the quality of the game, but believe me, I've seen many pre-season games at Manuka over the years, most rubbish, but putting aside early season fumbles, I thought the quality of the game wasn't too bad, especially when you consider the Giants were missing about 8 A-graders.
Having the Pies there certainly helped that crowd. They would never travel to Canberra in the regular season.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Crowds keep getting worse for Melbourne's AFLW team's home crowds at Casey Fields. Just 2100. It's not like the side are failing on the field either.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Crowds keep getting worse for Melbourne's AFLW team's home crowds at Casey Fields. Just 2100. It's not like the side are failing on the field either.
Why should they be bigger crowds?
Exclude the artificial AFL and media hype its a second rate competition. If anything, the crowds are punching above their weight.

I'm not as surprised as some that a Friday night game in Cranbourne didn't get a crowd quite as big as matches played on a Saturday or Sunday there.

Also, if the novelty has worn off, terrific result for Adelaide to get a thousand more people at tonight's game than their last home match at the same venue.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not as surprised as some that a Friday night game in Cranbourne didn't get a crowd quite as big as matches played on a Saturday or Sunday there.

Also, if the novelty has worn off, terrific result for Adelaide to get a thousand more people at tonight's game than their last home match at the same venue.
Considering the 1st Adelaide home crowd this season was nearly 10k, it's really not that redeeming. It seems alot of people didn't come back.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
If they did i can see crowds dropping below 1000 a fair bit. Better off just being a financial drain.
They should rely on TV, memberships and sponsors. That should rake in enough money to support the short season of AFLW without charging at the gate.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It depends when they scheduled it.

2pm in early March in Perth is madness. TBH anytime before about 6pm is crazy in summer. The people that did show at Fremantle Oval yesterday were all huddled in the shade, and I wouldn't go if they paid me. Why is it so early? Given the game was only on a minor Fox Sports channel (not even on Fox footy) I can't imagine it got much of a TV audience, so I doubt Fox give a rats ass when the game is played.
A 6pm game would probably get 5000 people, if they charged $10-20 entry you could still get 3,000 or so IMO.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It depends when they scheduled it.

2pm in early March in Perth is madness.[Its actually pathetic] TBH anytime before about 6pm is crazy in summer. The people that did show at Fremantle Oval yesterday were all huddled in the shade, and I wouldn't go if they paid me. Why is it so early? Given the game was only on a minor Fox Sports channel (not even on Fox footy) I can't imagine it got much of a TV audience, so I doubt Fox give a rats ass when the game is played.
A 6pm game would probably get 5000 people, if they charged $10-20 entry you could still get 3,000 or so IMO.
The MSM have not directly put questions to AFL executives on the daytime timing of some of these AFLW matches (& playing games in Alice Springs recently when the temp. reached 37 degrees, & was still very hot later in the evening).
It is an inexcusable failure of the AFL's management & promotion of the AFLW. All games should preferably be in the evening, or late in the afternoon.

It is not possible for women(or men) to execute their skills to their optimal level in such strong heat -& is subjecting AFLW players to unnecessary criticism.

Back