2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

I had two arguably cynical theories about the foxtel - channel 10 saturday games clause in the current rights deal.

1. the AFL wanted to cloud the fact they had signed a deal that would see another half a game a round taken off FTA

2. The murdochs had designs on channel ten and would pull that trigger on this contract once they'd purchased it and use it to cross promote

Anyway, I suspect that these extra games would form part of a broader negotiation that included the AFLW
2 is correct. But CBS beat the Murdochs and before the ACCC made a decision.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
aflhistoricaltvaverage-1024x597.png

As requested on Twitter.

VFLvSANFLvWAFL_attendance_totals_1950-2018-1024x554.png

VFLvSANFLvWAFL_attendance_averages_1950-2018-1024x635.png

Here is some data I stuck in a thread in 2009 that fills in a few years of SANFL in 1970's. I scanned in all the crowds round by round for 1980 from the 1981 Football Times yearbook and a cut and past of;

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/crowd-discussion-out-of-bock-thread.570536/#post-14331703
The page below was from South Australian Football 1994 Year book - Official publication of the South Australian Football League page 58. I copied the page and cut it up to make one column before I scanned it.

SANFLCrowds1964to1993.jpg

hmm looks like the wikipedia entrys for these are using finals + home and away crowds then.
If you go to the link I put up the stuff from the 1981 Yearbook has a table of total home and away season and finals for 1970 thru to 1980. The Other matches are for preseason games and state games. I think the 1975 total is so big for other matches because that was the season they held Wills Cup games at Norwood which was games between clubs from the 4 southern states.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting article by Jake Niall in The AGE today it gives an insight in to the digital dimension

Is the AFL trade period bigger than the game?

In the final hour of the trade circus, as Essendon and Collingwood strove to complete the deals that would deliver them Dylan Shiel and Dayne Beams from northern clubs, the AFL's digital audience – viewers, listeners and clickers – reached unprecedented peaks.

If you compare the trade period denouement to television drama, the final half-hour is like one of those cliffhanger dramas wherein a kid is rescued from the house or car just before it explodes in flames.

The difference, perhaps, is that many fans of other clubs (ie, not Essendon or Collingwood) were barracking for Shiel and Beams to be stranded at their original clubs, the fate that befell Tim Kelly at Geelong. The game's tribalism creates a market for an unhappy ending, too.

cf87dc9a02ebb1b5de4071eabd20bf25afb3cb29

Jesse Hogan, Dylan Shiel and Dayne Beams all found new homes in the trade window.CREDIT:FAIRFAX MEDIA

"Some sections of the footy media get more excited about trading than the games themselves," said Leigh Matthews on 3AW this week. While Matthews (who thought the trades were overblown) is correct, the major reason the media follows trades with such psychopathic intensity is that there's such a vast audience for it – even for second-tier recruits. On Friday morning, I overheard two middle-aged men in Brunswick analysing in detail the worth of Taylor Duryea to the Bulldogs.

In digital terms, the denouement of the trade period exceeds the AFL grand final for audience. There were about 200,000 fans streaming video of the final few hours on the AFL website. In all, the trade circus drew 4.5 million unique visitors to that same site or the AFL app and there were 27.8 million clicks on articles online (for the AFL and 18 clubs). Some 1.2 million streamed the banter of "Trade Radio", of which 29 per cent were watching it on video. Staggeringly, the average listening time was nearly an hour.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Interesting article by Jake Niall in The AGE today it gives an insight in to the digital dimension

Some 1.2 million streamed the banter of "Trade Radio", of which 29 per cent were watching it on video. Staggeringly, the average listening time was nearly an hour.

A one hour average listening time on an online app is immense. The peak numbers are big and interesting and all, but it's that average listening time which is the real story here.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

In the final hour of the trade circus, as Essendon and Collingwood strove to complete the deals that would deliver them Dylan Shiel and Dayne Beams from northern clubs, the AFL's digital audience – viewers, listeners and clickers – reached unprecedented peaks.

If you compare the trade period denouement to television drama, the final half-hour is like one of those cliffhanger dramas wherein a kid is rescued from the house or car just before it explodes in flames.

The difference, perhaps, is that many fans of other clubs (ie, not Essendon or Collingwood) were barracking for Shiel and Beams to be stranded at their original clubs, the fate that befell Tim Kelly at Geelong. The game's tribalism creates a market for an unhappy ending, too.

cf87dc9a02ebb1b5de4071eabd20bf25afb3cb29

Jesse Hogan, Dylan Shiel and Dayne Beams all found new homes in the trade window.CREDIT:FAIRFAX MEDIA

"Some sections of the footy media get more excited about trading than the games themselves," said Leigh Matthews on 3AW this week. While Matthews (who thought the trades were overblown) is correct, the major reason the media follows trades with such psychopathic intensity is that there's such a vast audience for it – even for second-tier recruits. On Friday morning, I overheard two middle-aged men in Brunswick analysing in detail the worth of Taylor Duryea to the Bulldogs.

In digital terms, the denouement of the trade period exceeds the AFL grand final for audience. There were about 200,000 fans streaming video of the final few hours on the AFL website. In all, the trade circus drew 4.5 million unique visitors to that same site or the AFL app and there were 27.8 million clicks on articles online (for the AFL and 18 clubs). Some 1.2 million streamed the banter of "Trade Radio", of which 29 per cent were watching it on video. Staggeringly, the average listening time was nearly an hour.

People realise there is no footy for 6 months and consume whatever news and media they can before there is nothing left. There is definitely an interest in who goes where, but to even ask the question of 'is it bigger than the game?' is pretty absurd.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
A one hour average listening time on an online app is immense. The peak numbers are big and interesting and all, but it's that average listening time which is the real story here.

Gotta say, mine was on pretty constantly at work until Barrett and Wallace came on at 2 o'clock

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Every weekday morning I go to uni listening to the trade period downloading the various podcast, great thing to listen to while studying.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
AfL fans are over compensating for the fact that the AFL has no formal of rep football. NRL fans for example have competitive international games at this time of year. AFL fans just have trades, and they lap it up just to get some kind of fix.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
AfL fans are over compensating for the fact that the AFL has no formal of rep football. NRL fans for example have competitive international games at this time of year. AFL fans just have trades, and they lap it up just to get some kind of fix.

Sure I mean they cant possibly be interested in the trade and draft period.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
What you said was ridiculous and so the response was ridicule
You're free to believe what you want but I believe if footy had competitive Intl games they would be more popular than trade period which I believe AFL fans use to compensate for the lack of footy this time of year. Not ridiculous at all.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're free to believe what you want but I believe if footy had competitive Intl games they would be more popular than trade period which I believe AFL fans use to compensate for the lack of footy this time of year. Not ridiculous at all.

You’re clearly free to believe what you want to, even if it is ridiculous

The rl test last night rated total fta of 341k (including regional). I wouldn’t be surprised if none of the 80odd fta nrl match during the season rated less than that.

If the afl did have represntative football, I bet you they wouldn’t be stupid enough to play them at the same time as the trade period.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
That's what I do. I go, damn, no international footy is on, I'll watch the trade period instead.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Hi,
Do you have the 2018 tv averages for each club on FTA?
Cheers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-27/afl-reveals-opening-round-fixture-for-2019

Thursday, March 21

Carlton v Richmond at the MCG, 7.20pm AEDT

Friday, March 22

Collingwood v Geelong at the MCG, 7.50pm AEDT

Saturday, March 23

Melbourne v Port Adelaide at the MCG, 1.45pm AEDT

Adelaide v Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT

Western Bulldogs v Sydney at Marvel Stadium, 7.25pm AEDT

Brisbane v West Coast at the Gabba, 7.20pm AEST

Sunday, March 24

St Kilda v Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT

Greater Western Sydney v Essendon at Spotless Stadium, 3.20pm AEDT

Fremantle v North Melbourne, Optus Stadium, 3.20pm AWST

Hard to accuse the AFL of trying to maximise crowds on the basis of this. One marquee game that seems certain to be lopsided and then virtually no big games for the rest of the round. What happened to the Collingwood/Melbourne game that was requested? Much more enticing than any of those games.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back