2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-27/afl-reveals-opening-round-fixture-for-2019

Hard to accuse the AFL of trying to maximise crowds on the basis of this. One marquee game that seems certain to be lopsided and then virtually no big games for the rest of the round. What happened to the Collingwood/Melbourne game that was requested? Much more enticing than any of those games.

Maybe the thinking is that the first round is going to get decent crowds regardless, so not a bad strategy to keep your powder dry.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Maybe the thinking is that the first round is going to get decent crowds regardless, so not a bad strategy to keep your powder dry.
That's what I was thinking. If your sure your getting good crowds for the first round, why waste big games

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Travis Auld is asked a question by John Ralph about the ratings. His answer was pure spin and BS.

He said they started quite strongly, had a lull mid season and finished off well.

FMD the ratings were shocking over the Comm Games opening weeks and the first 4 or 5 rounds, the AFL panicked and seemed to want to change the game completely with committees left right and centre because of the look of the game and people turning off. And we get this BS from Auld that they were quite strong at the start.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Travis Auld is asked a question by John Ralph about the ratings. His answer was pure spin and BS.

He said they started quite strongly, had a lull mid season and finished off well.

FMD the ratings were shocking over the Comm Games opening weeks and the first 4 or 5 rounds, the AFL panicked and seemed to want to change the game completely with committees left right and centre because of the look of the game and people turning off. And we get this BS from Auld that they were quite strong at the start.

Auld is pretty unimpressive and his account of the ratings at the start of the year is incorrect (relative to previous years).....but I think it is far more likely the AFL (led by hocking) planned to make a set of rule changes at least as early as the end of 2017 when Hocking was appointed (and he scrapped the laws of the game committee, hired that david rath and announced the setting up of the competition committee.)

They got no less money for last year for the TV rights and they now have a baseline from which to brag about a ratings increase on the back of their rules changes (whether or not those changes were the reason) going into the commencement of the negotiation of the next broadcast rights

I think the caricature of the AFL "reacting in panic" might have currency in mug land (eg big footy land) but it is clearly not what happened

I think the caricature of the AFL "reacting in panic" might have currency in mug land (eg big footy land) but it is clearly not what happened

Yeah lets have in season trials. oh * nobody likes them. I being blasted, people are accusing me of tampering with the rules, integrity of matches, I better back down and say we aren't going to trial the rule changes I love. That was Gilligan between June and July. Shear PR Spin and then panic back pedaling.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah lets have in season trials. oh **** nobody likes them. I being blasted, people are accusing me of tampering with the rules, integrity of matches, I better back down and say we aren't going to trial the rule changes I love. That was Gilligan between June and July. Shear PR Spin and then panic back pedaling.

No doubt the AFL at times botched the PR (not least on that occassion) but they clearly restructured the committee process and hired (Rath, Podsiadly etc) specifically to achieve significant rule changes this year.

I read your comment as implying this all emerged out of a mid season panic this year. It clearly didn't. Hocking scrapped a number of committees (including "laws of the game" and replaced it with the "competition committee"). At some point they set up a reference group of mainly people with large media platforms which I suspect was more about PR than substance I suspect

No doubt the AFL at times botched the PR (not least on that occassion) but they clearly restructured the committee process and hired (Rath, Podsiadly etc) specifically to achieve significant rule changes this year.

I read your comment as implying this all emerged out of a mid season panic this year. It clearly didn't. Hocking scrapped a number of committees (including "laws of the game" and replaced it with the "competition committee"). At some point they set up a reference group of mainly people with large media platforms which I suspect was more about PR than substance I suspect
If the AFL were about substance and not form, and really want to improve the game, then they would start with the fundamental area of dispute/annoyance/ inconsistency/umpire incompetence etc.

That is the holding the ball - holding the man - push in the back - play on - incorrect disposal - prior opportunity - riding the player like a horse conundrum. Fix that first. And don't bring in the usual suspects in to fix it. They have failed. Everything else the AFL tries to change, is window dressing PR crap until the fundamentals are fixed. Hocking started looking at things in November 2017, but cranked up the panic button after the poor early season ratings figures.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Its worth noting that Seven apparently dont believe the ratings have dropped off as much as has been touted.

Its worth noting that Seven apparently dont believe the ratings have dropped off as much as has been touted.
Aren't the numbers the numbers?

I always see the AFL GF is watched by around 2.8m by the ratings people but how many millions watch them at a pub or club or at a mates footy party etc. I dont ever see any adjustment for that.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

It depends on how they are presented. If they are presented collectively as Seven broadcast them - ie. Sevens Thursday Night Football, Sevens Friday Night Football, Sevens Saturday night Football etc etc instead of the individual matches - then Im given to understand those ratings dont concern Seven as much as people think. Ive been meaning to track it all back and see if thats quantifiable from public numbers.

It depends on how they are presented. If they are presented collectively as Seven broadcast them - ie. Sevens Thursday Night Football, Sevens Friday Night Football, Sevens Saturday night Football etc etc instead of the individual matches - then Im given to understand those ratings dont concern Seven as much as people think. Ive been meaning to track it all back and see if thats quantifiable from public numbers.
You put up some numbers and tweets, I think from Media Week near the end of April and it showed how big the Comm Game effected 7's Footy Ratings and it took awhile for their ratings to get back to normal figures. The AFL, 7 and the media talked about it at the end of April and that's when the concern about the look of the game cranked up.

I remember asking if it meant people were really that stupid they couldn't flick from channel 70 to 73 to watch the footy, or was the Comm Games more engrossing than the footy? I think it was all posted in this thread.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
You put up some numbers and tweets, I think from Media Week near the end of April and it showed how big the Comm Game effected 7's Footy Ratings and it took awhile for their ratings to get back to normal figures. The AFL, 7 and the media talked about it at the end of April and that's when the concern about the look of the game cranked up.

Definitely were affected for sure, all im saying is that apparently the rot wasnt as bad as people thought.

I remember asking if it meant people were really that stupid they couldn't flick from channel 70 to 73 to watch the footy, or was the Comm Games more engrossing than the footy? I think it was all posted in this thread.

People are that stupid apparently. Theres a decent drop off in average ratings for games shown between Foxfooty and Foxsports 3 for example. Ratings did drop in WA when they moved from 7 to 7mate for much of their coverage, and there was a drop off in NSW and QLD too.

Definitely were affected for sure, all im saying is that apparently the rot wasnt as bad as people thought.

People are that stupid apparently. Theres a decent drop off in average ratings for games shown between Foxfooty and Foxsports 3 for example. Ratings did drop in WA when they moved from 7 to 7mate for much of their coverage, and there was a drop off in NSW and QLD too.
Ok it was when Roy Masters wrote his article about cumulative ratings at the end of May, Andy Maher grabbed them first and pissed his pants discussing the fall off and the rest of the AFL media pack hit the panic button. We discussed it from this post onward in the next media rights deal thread.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-next-media-rights-deal-2023.1177138/page-4#post-55972998

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda

I know I certainly did this. Great stadium. Highly recommend.

Given the crowd yesterday, looks like the locals who wanted to have all tried it out by now!

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda

I always see the AFL GF is watched by around 2.8m by the ratings people but how many millions watch them at a pub or club or at a mates footy party etc. I dont ever see any adjustment for that.

Here's an estimate.
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7356-afl-grand-final-viewers-september-2017-201710020358

AFL clearly higher than NRL via this methodology.
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7...omparison-september-october-2017-201710032246

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I know I certainly did this. Great stadium. Highly recommend.

Given the crowd yesterday, looks like the locals who wanted to have all tried it out by now!
24,000 at the OD cricket is a worry
You would have thought that 40,000 to be a passable crowd considering what the AFL crowds pulled during the 2018 season.
Even the struggling Freo got very good crowds Maybe cricket is on the nose both on and off the field,
It will be interesting what the Test gets in December.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong

"Of the 8.4 million Australians that watched the AFL Grand Final over 5.7 million (30.5%) primarily watched the game on TV, 1 million (5.5%) watched at a friend’s house, 360,000 (2%) watched at a Pub/ Hotel, 100,000 (0.5%) watched via an App/ Website, 100,000 (0.5%) were at the MCG while a further 230,000 (1%) watched in a different way and 820,000 (4.5%) didn’t say.

This special snap Roy Morgan SMS survey was conducted on Sunday with a cross-section of 1,667 Australians aged 18+ following Saturday’s AFL Grand Final."

Ive always thought that the real figure would be in this range esp the Pub/Club/Hotel figures which could even be higher.

25 million people in Oz, 8.4m watched + 1.8m watched a bit + 8.9m didnt watch at all = 19.1m. Is the other 5.9m just a statistical error?? I know its a survey and some people didnt respond, but you leave yourself open when you make projections to the whole population and decent chunk of the survey nobody has replied to it.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
25 million people in Oz, 8.4m watched + 1.8m watched a bit + 8.9m didnt watch at all = 19.1m. Is the other 5.9m just a statistical error?? I know its a survey and some people didnt respond, but you leave yourself open when you make projections to the whole population and decent chunk of the survey nobody has replied to it.
The survey is of adults 18+.
So a big chunk of the extra is kids.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Also, breakdown by state, each state adds up to 100, but it doesn't include NT or ACT, so not sure if they surveyed those markets.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
24,000 at the OD cricket is a worry
You would have thought that 40,000 to be a passable crowd considering what the AFL crowds pulled during the 2018 season.
Even the struggling Freo got very good crowds Maybe cricket is on the nose both on and off the field,
It will be interesting what the Test gets in December.

If you think it's a worry, then you're completely ignorant of the context. The test will be packed.

- 24,000 is still a pretty significant crowd (greater than the capacity of the WACA)
- The early season opening ODI's have never been popular with the Australian public
- If you haven't been living under a rock there has been huge turmoil at Cricket Australia of late
- In an on-field sense, the build up coming off a horrendous tour in the UAE is far from ideal

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
If you think it's a worry, then you're completely ignorant of the context. The test will be packed.

- 24,000 is still a pretty significant crowd (greater than the capacity of the WACA)
- The early season opening ODI's have never been popular with the Australian public
- If you haven't been living under a rock there has been huge turmoil at Cricket Australia of late
- In an on-field sense, the build up coming off a horrendous tour in the UAE is far from ideal

You're right on most things but the test won't be packed. They'll be doing very well to get 30k to any day of it.

Back