Game Day - 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT) | Page 38 | BigFooty

Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by scaryness, Nov 22, 2018.

1. mikey_san

mikey_san Club Legend

Sydney
    Aahhh the romance of stats, that's what I love about stories of young footballers with the world before them. ;)

bungee and Kirkswan like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Tedeski

Tedeski Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    A little interview with Zac Foot on SEN before he knew he was drafted by the Swans.
    Sounds like a switched on kid & speaks well. Not sure if someone has put this elsewhere. Have a listen.
    https://www.sen.com.au/programs/time-on/

Edit.
    Old habits with spelling of Zac's name.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  3. Kirkswan

Kirkswan Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Thanks to everyone for all the links, quotes and info you have all put into this thread!

I've been busy with family issues for the past month or so, and didn't get a chance to see or read any of this live, so I've really appreciated all the comments and info you have all posted.

I was excited before the draft for 2019 & 20, but I think it has been an excellent draft for us the next five years are looking great!

GO BLOODS!!!

4. Wolftone

Wolftone Club Legend

Sydney

I think it is all about the culture you build. They have Stewie up there who has played at two clubs with great culture and Port Adelaide (the two were Central District and Hawthorn) and has coached at Swannies. Mark Evans is a good CEO to have when it comes to developing culture from management to the footy department down to the players and then the support staff. This bloke will demand a good culture or out the door. I think they will be ok. The only thing that might beat them is the Gold Coast curse. No footy team has ever been successful up there no matter what code.

bungee likes this.
  5. cherub

cherub Team Captain

Sydney
    I was wondering who was our WA scout who identified Durak Tucker. He sounds like a good pickup, but interesting that we must have seen him over a year ago and still drafted him. Feel a bit for the Canberra guys who reorganised their lives at short notice to not be even rookied.

bungee, Vin Rogue and BloodySwan like this.
  6. Ticky009

Ticky009 Premium Gold

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Rebel Alliance
    Good lord, a coherent 17 year old. Already passed as far as I’m concerned.

7. Tedeski

Tedeski Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    We definitely are in ruthless mode with our list. Those Canberra guys will just have to work harder in 2019 at someone else's expense if they're hungry enough & then there's always next year's draft.
    I really like how we are going about it, just one Foot at a time.

bungee likes this.
  8. TheMase

TheMase Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    They may still be training with us. We have the option of putting Tippett on the inactive list and taking another rookie from December.

Vin Rogue, Kirkswan, Opts and 3 others like this.
  9. RUNVS

RUNVS Hall of Famer

Sydney
    I'm on that list a lot.

10. Churches

Churches Senior List

Sydney
    Curious to know:

With our 7 new draftees, how long are all their contracts? (1 or 2 year deals maybe... how much?)
    Obviously Blakey will play, but is it safe to say maybe only a couple of these guys will ever make our best 22?

Interested to know what you guys think will likely happen

11. TheMase

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    National draftees 2 years. First round pick is on $88k yr one and $100k Yr 2 (non negotiable). Lower than first round it’s less I think (source from an article on main website)

Rookie listed players are a 1 year contract and at least $71.5k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Tas

Tas TheBrownDog

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    There can be only one...
    lol It wasn't that bad, however, outside of the special consideration given this year to salary dump, AFL is meant to block trades which are not deemed to be of equivalent value and I don't think the AFL should have considered both trades at the time of the first trade because West Coast was under no obligation to make the second trade.

If they didn't make the second trade then I am sure there would have been some fallout that the AFL would have preferred to avoid.

They will likely tweak the rules for future years to enforce equivalency, there still would be scope to do similar deals but they would probably need to be closer in value individually speaking.

I was surprised West Coast was actually interested in helping the Swans for what they got out of it, they had plenty of scope to upgrade their picks during the trade period, they spent most of the trade eon playing chicken with Geelong.

bungee likes this.
  13. RUNVS

RUNVS Hall of Famer

Sydney
    Sydney and West Coast are like the British and Germans in WW1. Sure we are technically enemies and will kill each other if we have to, but there is also a lot of underlining respect there as well.

bungee, caesar88 and Tas like this.
  14. Tas

Tas TheBrownDog

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    There can be only one...
    As there should be. :) I think teams that generally bludgeon eachother on the park and have a number of entertaining contests (especially involving big finals) tend to build that type of relationship. Ultimately though, everyone is in everyone else's way on the quest for the next premiership, it needs to be a consideration.

RUNVS likes this.
  15. Churches

Churches Senior List

Sydney
    Interesting... Cheers!! 3 Votes for you

Kirkswan and TheMase like this.
  16. Tas

Tas TheBrownDog

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    There can be only one...
    Media speculated he could go as high as #3 or as low as #13. I think #8 was quite reasonable and the Crows thought he was well worth the pick... but I am confident that you didn't reply to me to talk about Thomas.

The first trade was Swans pick #26 for West Coast's future third round pick (37->54). In isolation, it would be challenging to suggest that that trade meets the AFL's equivalency guideline.

If after Swans picked up Blakey the Eagles said they changed their mind and didn't want to do the second trade, they would have ended up with pick 26 for what is likely to be a late third round pick next year. A lot of trade rules exist to protect clubs from themselves, in an ideal scenario the rules would be cut back and clubs would have free reign to stuff things up for themselves, but it is what it is.

I didn't have any issue with what the Swans did, but I think you will find similar deals wont be allowed next year in a similar structure.

17. 6yearsold

6yearsold Club Legend

Sydney
    So you want to come on here and fantasise about something that didn't happen that you wished would of happened? You could do that with ant trade whatsoever. You should keep those inane thoughts to your own board. The AFL ticked it off days before. They had plenty of time to say no if they wanted. I am happy for them to ban it as it would make it all the more enjoyable to me.

I am happy to talk about Tarryn Thomas (the fat medium forward you paid the equivalent of pick 8 for). Seeing as though you mentioned media speculated he could go as high as #3 at the draft. Perhaps you could link me to the phantom draft or power rankings where that is so? He has gone backwards since his underage year and needs to go to Jenny Craig.

18. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    I can’t complain with any of the ND picks. Personally I would have gone Mitch Grigg with a rookie pick though

6yearsold likes this.
  19. TheMase

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Given nobody else did either, you have to wonder why...

20. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Has to be a reason but he couldn’t have done more this year but again we don’t know how he interviewed, etc

TheMase likes this.
  21. Tas

Tas TheBrownDog

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    There can be only one...
    Fantasy? I was talking about the first trade, in balance the trades were fine, however, each should have been required to meet the equivalence test in isolation.

For example, it has the potential to go horribly wrong in the future if a club didn't sign off on the second trade or if there was a father/son or academy bid which was matched and it consumed a pick that was part of the agreed subsequent trade.

There may not be any rule specific to trading during the draft, but I think it is an oversight and the AFL should have adopted the same rules and restrictions that apply during the trade period, because there have been historical incidents which has resulted in the AFL saying that they exist out of necessity.

In hindsight there wasn't any major drama from the Swans/Eagles trades but it has the potential to go horribly wrong and I would be very surprised if the AFL didn't change it for next year.

Hey, no fat shaming! :p

He is 189cm and 73kg, he needs to put on about 10kg.

He is a NSW boy, don't be so hard on him. I am a bit bummed Blakey ended up choosing the Swans and think he is going to be a great player for you guys barring injuries. I honestly wish him all the best. I think it is entertaining having banter with opposition supporter but some people take things far too seriously.

CD__, Bandicoot, Deadshot and 4 others like this.
  22. scaryness

scaryness Moderator

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Dallas Cowboys/Trail Blazers
    Reminder that highlight videos are designed to make anyone look like a superstar. There will be a Towers highlight video somewhere that will make him look like an All-Australian.

bungee, RW, bedford and 1 other person like this.
  23. caesar88

caesar88 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Aww poor rookie listed players :p

Kirkswan likes this.
  24. caesar88

caesar88 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Except when it comes to 16/17/18 year olds, all you can go on is the highlights. Because they will naturally get a lot wrong and not deliver on the field. That just comes with the territory of being a young amateur in a gruelling and demanding sport. The highlights are the things that tell you when someone has what it takes to make it at the elite level. Once at the elite level, getting those things wrong and not delivering on the field becomes less forgiveable. Towers was a 27/28 year old still with the same good-to-bad ratio as a lot of the teenagers that went in the draft. So it’s apples and oranges really.

25. RUNVS

RUNVS Hall of Famer

Sydney
    Not always true though as for the most part most player highlights come from 2 or 3 games since players don't have all their games filmed. It isn't quite the same thing as a highlights package of a current AFL player who would have all their games filmed.

bungee likes this.