Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

DTH thread is now no longer needed. Use this thread for draft discussion, use the 2019 Best 22/Gameplan thread for all other list discussion :)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So 4 live picks tonight according to Beatson.

Jeez I'd love for us to trade our 2019 first for Riley Collier-Dawkens

I was thinking the exact same thing actually. He really is the type of player we need and he is also a Swans fan. Can't see a club being willing to do it though, not unless we trade our first rounder of 2019 and a good second rounder. Perhaps we could trade our 2019 first rounder and pick 26 or something like that for a pick in the early teens this year? Would have to do it quickly though because the moment Blakey is bid on pick 26 is gone.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
I was thinking the exact same thing actually. He really is the type of player we need and he is also a Swans fan. Can't see a club being willing to do it though, not unless we trade our first rounder of 2019 and a good second rounder. Perhaps we could trade our 2019 first rounder and pick 26 or something like that for a pick in the early teens this year? Would have to do it quickly though because the moment Blakey is bid on pick 26 is gone.

Yeah it's extremely unlikely but if we ended up with both Nick and Riley I'd be over the moon. I don't care if our last two picks this year are 99 & 100. If we got those two mission accomplished.

But bugger me if Riley goes to GWS I will spew.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Don't we have an extra 2019 second round pick also? St Kilda? Perhaps we could trade next years first plus a second for this year first and a third next year.

I would think the team to target would be Adelaide with 8, 13, 16 and 21.
Maybe GWS with 9, 11 and 19 (and 25).

Perhaps possible to get 16 out of Adelaide’s hands but we’d have to pay overs and then hope he falls that low (and if he doesn’t well we’d still get a highly rated player).

You’d have to target a team with multiple first rounders who might see value in moving one to 2019.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

I really don't see how we can possibly trade into the first round before we match a bid for Blakey. As soon as we do that trade, a bid will be made on Blakey and we will be using that newly acquired first round pick to match. The only way we avoid that is to make the trade for the next pick to come up, but that means we are looking at a pick inside the top 10 if we are getting in before Blakey. I don't see any team wanting to give up a spot in the top 10 this year for uncertainty next year.

The only way we can manage to get another pick in the first round is to make the bid on Blakey and then look at a trade involving future picks, probably has to be our first round pick next year and something else. There is a risk that we don't get the full value of whatever that first round pick would be worth, but if there is a player we really want who is available it would make sense.

I would laugh if we do this after Beatson said yesterday that he didn't expect any live trading in the first round :)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I really don't see how we can possibly trade into the first round before we match a bid for Blakey. As soon as we do that trade, a bid will be made on Blakey and we will be using that newly acquired first round pick to match. The only way we avoid that is to make the trade for the next pick to come up, but that means we are looking at a pick inside the top 10 if we are getting in before Blakey. I don't see any team wanting to give up a spot in the top 10 this year for uncertainty next year.

The only way we can manage to get another pick in the first round is to make the bid on Blakey and then look at a trade involving future picks, probably has to be our first round pick next year and something else. There is a risk that we don't get the full value of whatever that first round pick would be worth, but if there is a player we really want who is available it would make sense.

I would laugh if we do this after Beatson said yesterday that he didn't expect any live trading in the first round :)

Oh yeah. I forgot about that annoying detail, so trade into the first round after Blakey has been taken, and we will have to use a second rounder from next year.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If the picks fall the right way we’re better off trying to use St Kilda 2nd next year for something like 25 this year and hit a player sliding. I’m sure GC with tight list spots would be tempted to push a pick into next year.

We need points next year so we can’t go too hard

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
It's over 2 nights right so is it first 2 rounds tonight then rest + rookie tomorrow?

Back