Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't see how we can possibly trade into the first round before we match a bid for Blakey. As soon as we do that trade, a bid will be made on Blakey and we will be using that newly acquired first round pick to match. The only way we avoid that is to make the trade for the next pick to come up, but that means we are looking at a pick inside the top 10 if we are getting in before Blakey. I don't see any team wanting to give up a spot in the top 10 this year for uncertainty next year.

The only way we can manage to get another pick in the first round is to make the bid on Blakey and then look at a trade involving future picks, probably has to be our first round pick next year and something else. There is a risk that we don't get the full value of whatever that first round pick would be worth, but if there is a player we really want who is available it would make sense.

I would laugh if we do this after Beatson said yesterday that he didn't expect any live trading in the first round :)

I laughed!

I mentioned this a little while back in the other thread, the possibility to trade back in to the draft after Blakey was selected with a pick that was higher than the ones we actually used to get Blakey.

The way I saw it going down wasn't so daring as this, though. I thought we would be giving up a selection in 2019 to make it happen, I didn't imagine we would trade out our second round pick to park it with another club only to trade it back in after Blakey was selected. I love it, it was even ballsier than how I thought we would do it. But the loophole was there, the club was aware of it, they created a situation where we were in a really strong position to cover a bid on Blakey early while also having a plan to capitalise as much as possible if the bid didn't come as high as some were expecting it to. Anyone in the industry who was blindsided by this wasn't doing their job.

How can you not have faith in this club and the people running it? Time and again we show ourselves to be one step ahead. We have plans, we make them happen. It isn't by accident that we have stayed at the top of the league for so long, it isn't by accident that we were able to lure the biggest name in the game to come and play for us, it isn't by accident that we just pulled off a massive steal, getting a top 10 draft pick for peanuts. Bravo again to the management of this club.

Bring on day two, would love to see Valente picked, captain of SA, MVP at U18 championships, inside midfielder. Ticks a lot of boxes.

I’ll just chuck out a little bit of a wish list with our remaining picks. McLennan, Rowbottom and Grundy

I know we’re all excited about the draft but I really hope we can add Callum Wilkie, Dunkley, that rugby playing ruck and a couple of academy kids in the rookie draft.

Fingers crossed for later today

I would prefer Nixon over one of our worst coaches in Buckenara .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. It is a tough decision between the two. Neither should be allowed near young people. Buckenara is up with Tuddenham and Stewart as the worst coach in my memory.

Crows already picked a mid, and have a stacked midfield. We might get Valente yet. What's the knock on him? Speed?

It’s not really a worthy knock but he just doesn’t have a stand out trait, maybe leadership....? He’s just really even across all the technical football skills. In the mid 20’s he’s great value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not really a worthy knock but he just doesn’t have a stand out trait, maybe leadership....? He’s just really even across all the technical football skills. In the mid 20’s he’s great value

He captained the SA team, leadership isn't an issue. Basically isn't among the fastest players and he doesn't have "x factor", he isn't a flashy kind of player, but he gets the job done on the inside.

Strengths are: Leadership, Accumulation, clean disposal, dual sided, contested ability, strength and tackling

Weaknesses are: speed, athleticism

“Luke Valente has been recognisable with his leadership qualities that has been admired across the whole football industry and is unrivalled with anyone in his age group. Valente is one of the most natural leaders to grace that National Under 18 championships in recent times...”

Reminds me a bit of Kennedy. Similar strengths and weaknesses.

Aaaarggghhh! We probably couldn't not pick him if available, but....sick of having the slowest midfield too...

If we are targeting someone similar to replace Kennedy we could probably do worse than Valente.

I am still a bit torn on whether he would be the right pick for us with some others still available.

Think Adelaide will pick Valente up but if not he is ripe for the taking.

I get the feeling we won't touch anyone West Coast or Adelaide are after with Crows bidding on North's Thomas when they could very well have bid on Blakey & West Coast helping us to stay in the first round. I really get the feeling that the interstate clubs will no doubt look after themselves first but no doubt there is a form of solidarity forming where we are beginning to look after each other over the Vic clubs, once we have looked after ourselves first.

It's about time.

Aaaarggghhh! We probably couldn't not pick him if available, but....sick of having the slowest midfield too...

A few people have compared him to Sam Mitchell. Good on both sides, knows where to be to get the ball. Basically the kind of player who has attributes that allow them to mitigate their lack of sheer pace. If he is still available at our pick I think he is very good value. Could very well go in the two picks before us, though.

The Blakey ruse should come as a surprise to no-one, these new draft rules such as live trading of picks just create opportunities for astute clubs to exploit them.

It feels odd having the draft run over 2 nights instead of one, seems an obvious attempt by the AFL to generate as much publicity as possible.

I would prefer Nixon over one of our worst coaches in Buckenara .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just remember when Buckenara coached the club was broke, had no facilities, key players departed, drafted players that didn't even move to Sydney, basically a basket case. I agree he did a couple of ordinary things (i.e. Robbie Neill incident), but he was coaching with one hand tied behind his back

I get the feeling we won't touch anyone West Coast or Adelaide are after with Crows bidding on North's Thomas when they could very well have bid on Blakey & West Coast helping us to stay in the first round. I really get the feeling that the interstate clubs will no doubt look after themselves first but no doubt there is a form of solidarity forming where we are beginning to look after each other over the Vic clubs, once we have looked after ourselves first.

It's about time.

Given they have the 2 selections ahead of us, I don't think we're obliged to steer clear of their potential later picks, otherwise trading up to 25 would be pretty pointless

Obviously we wont select Cameron (West Coast's academy selection)

A few people have compared him to Sam Mitchell. Good on both sides, knows where to be to get the ball. Basically the kind of player who has attributes that allow them to mitigate their lack of sheer pace. If he is still available at our pick I think he is very good value. Could very well go in the two picks before us, though.
Yeah, was said WC after a Le Cras replacement, but thinking on it their mids very much in need of replenishment post Priddis and Mitchell. He'll prob go there; looks a 200 game type.
Would be concerned adding him to Mills, Parker, Heeney and Hewett anyway. We need an dynamic speed athlete in the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back