Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s why Smooch is mine!
Someone who appreciates those skills, without the lairy flair of a show pony.
:)

Malceski used to be my favourite (probably still is) and that was before his lairy flair show pony shenanigans won us a flag ;) He was just such a good hard player and persevered through all his injuries and then was rewarded with his moment (or two) in the sun!

Can’t imagine how Tucker must have felt when he got the call.
Out most of the year injured, puts his name because hell, what’s he got to lose. Probably thinks he’ll have to go again next year.
Gets a call from the Swans.
Best of luck kiddo, and welcome to Aunty Ticky’s defender appreciation group.

On Beatson’s draft wrap he said: “...really really excited with the news that we’d drafted him. John was talking to him before, he was in tears the young guy”

I like the look of him. From all reports absolutely threw himself into the rehab like a pro.

Good luck to the kid I hope he succeeds.

Can’t imagine how Tucker must have felt when he got the call.
Out most of the year injured, puts his name because hell, what’s he got to lose. Probably thinks he’ll have to go again next year.
Gets a call from the Swans.
Best of luck kiddo, and welcome to Aunty Ticky’s defender appreciation group.

According to Beatson Tucker was actually crying on the phone when the Swans called him since he was so happy at being drafted.

Rankine will be a bust

Won’t turn into a mid and won’t get away with what he does in juniors

Watch it

Smith will be the best

All my opinion

I hope Smith isn't the best as I naturally dislike players who actively try and make sure they stay in their own state, heavily implying or outright saying they will leave at the first available opportunity if they are drafted by a club outside their state.

Tucker coming off an ACL (start of 2018 season). Highlights looked pretty good but he barely figured in 2018. Might be a good prospect if he can get his body right. Perhaps a Rampe replacement down the track.

Didn’t think much of Reynolds to be honest.
Watching his highlights he reminds me of Jack. It could be his kicking style but I can see why they were keen. Also seems decent in the air.

Tucker coming off an ACL (start of 2018 season). Highlights looked pretty good but he barely figured in 2018. Might be a good prospect if he can get his body right. Perhaps a Rampe replacement down the track.

Didn’t think much of Reynolds to be honest.

Tucker looks very well balanced.

Don't write off Reynolds. He just looks like a kid who hasn't grown into his body. Kids who have just had a growth spurt look like giraffes. The brain has it right (and his decision making and awareness on the video looked quite good) but the body looks very awkward. In 3 years they'll be asking "Where the * did the Swans pick up that one?"

EDIT: That's why I didn't think much of Paddy McCartin when he went No.1. I watched a fair bit of him because he played a lot of games against Heeney and Mills. He was fully developed and was a man playing against boys. I guess it looked irresistible but he was never going to get any bigger or faster and his opponents would be nasty campaigners like Grundy.

Last edited:

Don't write off Reynolds. He just looks like a kid who hasn't grown into his body. Kids who have just had a growth spurt look like giraffes. The brain has it right (and his decision making and awareness on the video looked quite good) but the body looks very awkward. In 3 years they'll be asking "Where the **** did the Swans pick up that one?"

Agreed. I have a 5 month old wolf hound puppy and she is always tripping over herself and landing on her face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't write off Reynolds. He just looks like a kid who hasn't grown into his body. Kids who have just had a growth spurt look like giraffes. The brain has it right (and his decision making and awareness on the video looked quite good) but the body looks very awkward. In 3 years they'll be asking "Where the **** did the Swans pick up that one?"

He sure does look balanced. Was wondering why he looked so good and fell so far to the rookie draft. Then I read about his ACL and it made sense.

Fair points re Reynolds. I never write anyone off early.

Yeah, because you know better than our recruiting department
Wow. Forgot to ask your permission to have an opinion.
Sorry!
If you read the other posts and watch games/vision of a couple of the rookies, compare them to a couple of the 19s playing NEAFL, IMO (pretty sure i can have one) those boys should be a bit disappointed to be overlooked.
No, no, I'm not even pretending to know more then the guys in charge, but they must also cross their fingers and hope what they caught a glimps this year of comes off.

Perhaps the swap picks move with Eagles to obtain Blakey shouldn’t have been as much a surprise as it was.

Swans are probably more familiar than anyone on using points to accrue our academy players. It stands to reason we’d see the potential of thinking outside the box.

Perhaps the swap picks move with Eagles to obtain Blakey shouldn’t have been as much a surprise as it was.

Swans are probably more familiar than anyone on using points to accrue our academy players. It stands to reason we’d see the potential of thinking outside the box.

I don’t think the trading itself was a surprise, however the ability to split the trade into two halves to “cheat” (completely legal) the bidding system caught almost everyone by surprise.

I wonder if that will be reviewed!

Yep, any better established club picked up Rankine, Lukosius, King and McLennan in one draft, you'd just about lock them in for a grand final berth in a few years time. Then you realise that they lost May and Lynch, that more will probably walk out the door next year, and any one of those four kids, potentially all of them, will do the same down the road. Really feel for them and their supporters as they just should not be in the AFL.

They are as viable as Taints, Carlcrims, #lolcameNinf.

I liked how the non Vic teams cooperated to some extent. I hope this develops over the years ahead. I really like the idea of reversing the pillaging of GoCo and Giants applying pressure on Melbourne clubs, esp those without much future. Let's always bid on their f/s and faux Academy nominees. Let's drop money and encourage defections of talented players.

I don’t think the trading itself was a surprise, however the ability to split the trade into two halves to “cheat” (completely legal) the bidding system caught almost everyone by surprise.

I wonder if that will be reviewed!
I don’t think it should. It was a very clever use of the rules and if others weren’t smart to pick up on it, tough t***ies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back