Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukosius seems like a bloke to stay around. Not sure on Rankine BUT he was easily the best in the draft you take him

Agree I rate them both above Walsh so they made the right calls, hopefully their culture changes and they will be able to secure some of the talent on their list.

So, I dunno about our draft.... was it good, ok or a something else? Here’s my rundown and emotional rollercoaster

Blakey lasting to 10 was beautiful, especially as Thomas was bid on first. Awesome get and nifty piece of trading beforehand. Very melt worthy. C’mon!

Next day - good first day, now make it count, I’m hoping for McLennan, Rowbottom and Grundy/Koschitzke

Rowbottom first up. Was a bit of a stretch but I’m onboard with that one as it’s definitely needs based and our like options for that type at our next pick would have been very slim. Besides McLennan was gone, I’m feeling justified.

McInerney. Who! This is an absolute smokey pick, so much so that the AFL didn’t even have a bio available. I start to question if we needed to go that early. Did we? Must’ve got wind of others interest. Ok, deep breath. In hindsight, I like the skills base and really like the rate of improvement.

Last pick.... go tall, go tall, go tall I hear myself saying. Foot... only someone called Sole could’ve been further from my wishes. I dunno, highlights look good, he’s quick and is a real youngster so should have more development in him. I should like this pick but at this point I’m thinking needs and I’m not sure he is a need. Still there’s the rookie draft to come, no dramas

Rookie draft - I’ve got fingers crossed Callum Wilkie slides and we also get Dunkley, Blair and a KPD. Do we have that many spots? Who cares, it my dream and I’ll make the rules, we do!

Tucker, oh yeah him, forgot about him. Not really a need but at this spot a good pick nonetheless. Without injury he’s a second rounder and hearing how overwhelmed he was at being picked makes me really positive about his future. Still spewing Wilkie went earlier though.

Last live pick, we have to hit a need now. Reynolds... now say that again in the Homer Simpson ‘Denver Broncos’ tone and you’ve nailed my reaction. He might be good/great/shithouse, either way he’s not a need.

Tippett.... bloody Tippett. He might need to come out of retirement if things get bad.

Still not sure where I sit on this draft. Looking back I really wished we’d bid for Scott at our 3rd so their next pick got wiped out, still all is not lost, they picked Ben Lennon MK2. Koschitzke, one pick before a desperate Hawks would have really hit the mark for me too - im just that kind of guy. Anyway. I’m hoping that CHB in the academy can be that tall next year and Blair can be an option next year with a little more exposure to AFL. But then, what do I know... and besides, we’re the Swans, if the players we picked had the talent and application we’ll make them AFL ready. It’s what we do.

So, I dunno about our draft.... was it good, ok or a something else? Here’s my rundown and emotional rollercoaster

Blakey lasting to 10 was beautiful, especially as Thomas was bid on first. Awesome get and nifty piece of trading beforehand. Very melt worthy. C’mon!

Next day - good first day, now make it count, I’m hoping for McLennan, Rowbottom and Grundy/Koschitzke

Rowbottom first up. Was a bit of a stretch but I’m onboard with that one as it’s definitely needs based and our like options for that type at our next pick would have been very slim. Besides McLennan was gone, I’m feeling justified.

McInerney. Who! This is an absolute smokey pick, so much so that the AFL didn’t even have a bio available. I start to question if we needed to go that early. Did we? Must’ve got wind of others interest. Ok, deep breath. In hindsight, I like the skills base and really like the rate of improvement.

Last pick.... go tall, go tall, go tall I hear myself saying. Foot... only someone called Sole could’ve been further from my wishes. I dunno, highlights look good, he’s quick and is a real youngster so should have more development in him. I should like this pick but at this point I’m thinking needs and I’m not sure he is a need. Still there’s the rookie draft to come, no dramas

Rookie draft - I’ve got fingers crossed Callum Wilkie slides and we also get Dunkley, Blair and a KPD. Do we have that many spots? Who cares, it my dream and I’ll make the rules, we do!

Tucker, oh yeah him, forgot about him. Not really a need but at this spot a good pick nonetheless. Without injury he’s a second rounder and hearing how overwhelmed he was at being picked makes me really positive about his future. Still spewing Wilkie went earlier though.

Last live pick, we have to hit a need now. Reynolds... now say that again in the Homer Simpson ‘Denver Broncos’ tone and you’ve nailed my reaction. He might be good/great/shithouse, either way he’s not a need.

Tippett.... bloody Tippett. He might need to come out of retirement if things get bad.

Still not sure where I sit on this draft. Looking back I really wished we’d bid for Scott at our 3rd so their next pick got wiped out, still all is not lost, they picked Ben Lennon MK2. Koschitzke, one pick before a desperate Hawks would have really hit the mark for me too - im just that kind of guy. Anyway. I’m hoping that CHB in the academy can be that tall next year and Blair can be an option next year with a little more exposure to AFL. But then, what do I know... and besides, we’re the Swans, if the players we picked had the talent and application we’ll make them AFL ready. It’s what we do.
CHB?

Personally, I’ve been impressed by our trade and draft selections this year and look forward to seeing these players shut quite a few posters up in 2019. There’s plenty of outside run and midfield grunt in this squad and I’m hopeful Longmire utilizes that with a vastly improved game plan that makes the most of the players’ combined qualities.

You watch Adelaide dump Carlton’s first on their doorstep next year. I reckon Rankine is gone after 1 year. In contrast, I reckon Lukosius stays up there for quite a while.
Is that based on info, or conjecture? Thought the two were pretty close.
And I like that GC have shipped out anyone who said they wanted out. Got in some senior bodies desperate for a crack, and some out and out class to sprinkle on top via the draft.
Dew is on the right track I reckon, reset of the attitude and culture. Shame they couldn't get more for Lyon, Hall and what's his name though...
Will be a fascinating two years for them, a few beltings no doubt next year, but I think they'll show heart.
Hope our lads haven't put that game in the W column before playing it again.

Speaking of our lads, could see Rowbottom putting immeduate pressure on KJ's spot, and Blakey looks like he's been in the gym a fair bit the last few months.

We can still sign rookies during the supplementary period from 1st December until March.

Tippett can be placed on the inactive list freeing up a spot.

So there could be hope for the likes of Blair yet.

isn't that only players who have already been on an afl list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m actually very impressed with our draft this year. Managed to land one of the “elite eight” for a steal in Blakey, added a desperately-needed hard as nails inside mid in Rowbottom, increased our key position stocks in the rookie draft, and still managed to get a nifty livewire in Foot with a relatively low pick. That is a pretty comprehensive draft that addresses our needs based on the last two years of waning performances.

Only one I can’t comment on is McInerney as apparently he never existed as a footballer before being drafted??

I don't have that level of detail in my reactions. All I know so far is that the national draftees other than Blakey have a 20-35% chance to succeed, and the rookie draftees other than Wicks and Tippett have a 10-20% chance to succeed.

For those interested, the reason Blakey is excluded is that top 10 picks have a significantly higher strike rate than those below. Something relevant to both him and Wicks is also that academy players have a success rate higher than the average as well.

I don't have that level of detail in my reactions. All I know so far is that the national draftees other than Blakey have a 20-35% chance to succeed, and the rookie draftees other than Wicks and Tippett have a 10-20% chance to succeed.

For those interested, the reason Blakey is excluded is that top 10 picks have a significantly higher strike rate than those below. Something relevant to both him and Wicks is also that academy players have a success rate higher than the average as well.
Aahhh the romance of stats, that's what I love about stories of young footballers with the world before them. ;)

A little interview with Zac Foot on SEN before he knew he was drafted by the Swans.
Sounds like a switched on kid & speaks well. Not sure if someone has put this elsewhere. Have a listen.
https://www.sen.com.au/programs/time-on/

Edit.
Old habits with spelling of Zac's name.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the links, quotes and info you have all put into this thread!

I've been busy with family issues for the past month or so, and didn't get a chance to see or read any of this live, so I've really appreciated all the comments and info you have all posted.

I was excited before the draft for 2019 & 20, but I think it has been an excellent draft for us the next five years are looking great!

GO BLOODS!!!

Yep, any better established club picked up Rankine, Lukosius, King and McLennan in one draft, you'd just about lock them in for a grand final berth in a few years time. Then you realise that they lost May and Lynch, that more will probably walk out the door next year, and any one of those four kids, potentially all of them, will do the same down the road. Really feel for them and their supporters as they just should not be in the AFL.

I think it is all about the culture you build. They have Stewie up there who has played at two clubs with great culture and Port Adelaide (the two were Central District and Hawthorn) and has coached at Swannies. Mark Evans is a good CEO to have when it comes to developing culture from management to the footy department down to the players and then the support staff. This bloke will demand a good culture or out the door. I think they will be ok. The only thing that might beat them is the Gold Coast curse. No footy team has ever been successful up there no matter what code.

I was wondering who was our WA scout who identified Durak Tucker. He sounds like a good pickup, but interesting that we must have seen him over a year ago and still drafted him. Feel a bit for the Canberra guys who reorganised their lives at short notice to not be even rookied.

A little interview with Zac Foot on SEN before he knew he was drafted by the Swans.
Sounds like a switched on kid & speaks well. Not sure if someone has put this elsewhere. Have a listen.
https://www.sen.com.au/programs/time-on/

Edit.
Old habits with spelling of Zac's name.
Good lord, a coherent 17 year old. Already passed as far as I’m concerned.

I was wondering who was our WA scout who identified Durak Tucker. He sounds like a good pickup, but interesting that we must have seen him over a year ago and still drafted him. Feel a bit for the Canberra guys who reorganised their lives at short notice to not be even rookied.
We definitely are in ruthless mode with our list. Those Canberra guys will just have to work harder in 2019 at someone else's expense if they're hungry enough & then there's always next year's draft.
I really like how we are going about it, just one Foot at a time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back