Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

Churches

Senior List
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Curious to know:

With our 7 new draftees, how long are all their contracts? (1 or 2 year deals maybe... how much?)
Obviously Blakey will play, but is it safe to say maybe only a couple of these guys will ever make our best 22?

Interested to know what you guys think will likely happen

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Curious to know:

With our 7 new draftees, how long are all their contracts? (1 or 2 year deals maybe... how much?)
Obviously Blakey will play, but is it safe to say maybe only a couple of these guys will ever make our best 22?

Interested to know what you guys think will likely happen

National draftees 2 years. First round pick is on $88k yr one and $100k Yr 2 (non negotiable). Lower than first round it’s less I think (source from an article on main website)

Rookie listed players are a 1 year contract and at least $71.5k

Perhaps they forgot about getting Scully for pick 40 odd?

St Scum board also utterly lost it. One poster called us and Im quoting here...’the white collar criminals of the AFL’ (insert moral outrage here)

lol It wasn't that bad, however, outside of the special consideration given this year to salary dump, AFL is meant to block trades which are not deemed to be of equivalent value and I don't think the AFL should have considered both trades at the time of the first trade because West Coast was under no obligation to make the second trade.

If they didn't make the second trade then I am sure there would have been some fallout that the AFL would have preferred to avoid.

They will likely tweak the rules for future years to enforce equivalency, there still would be scope to do similar deals but they would probably need to be closer in value individually speaking.

I was surprised West Coast was actually interested in helping the Swans for what they got out of it, they had plenty of scope to upgrade their picks during the trade period, they spent most of the trade eon playing chicken with Geelong.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
lol It wasn't that bad, however, outside of the special consideration given this year to salary dump, AFL is meant to block trades which are not deemed to be of equivalent value and I don't think the AFL should have considered both trades at the time of the first trade because West Coast was under no obligation to make the second trade.

If they didn't make the second trade then I am sure there would have been some fallout that the AFL would have preferred to avoid.

They will likely tweak the rules for future years to enforce equivalency, there still would be scope to do similar deals but they would probably need to be closer in value individually speaking.

I was surprised West Coast was actually interested in helping the Swans for what they got out of it, they had plenty of scope to upgrade their picks during the trade period, they spent most of the trade eon playing chicken with Geelong.

Sydney and West Coast are like the British and Germans in WW1. Sure we are technically enemies and will kill each other if we have to, but there is also a lot of underlining respect there as well.

Sydney and West Coast are like the British and Germans in WW1. Sure we are technically enemies and will kill each other if we have to, but there is also a lot of underlining respect there as well.

As there should be. :) I think teams that generally bludgeon eachother on the park and have a number of entertaining contests (especially involving big finals) tend to build that type of relationship. Ultimately though, everyone is in everyone else's way on the quest for the next premiership, it needs to be a consideration.

Churches

Senior List
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
National draftees 2 years. First round pick is on $88k yr one and $100k Yr 2 (non negotiable). Lower than first round it’s less I think (source from an article on main website)

Interesting... Cheers!! 3 Votes for you

Are you a complete fool or are you just sore for having to pay massive overs for Tarryn Thomas?

Media speculated he could go as high as #3 or as low as #13. I think #8 was quite reasonable and the Crows thought he was well worth the pick... but I am confident that you didn't reply to me to talk about Thomas.

They made the trade because they upgraded a 3rd round pick to a 2nd round for no cost to them.

The first trade was Swans pick #26 for West Coast's future third round pick (37->54). In isolation, it would be challenging to suggest that that trade meets the AFL's equivalency guideline.

If after Swans picked up Blakey the Eagles said they changed their mind and didn't want to do the second trade, they would have ended up with pick 26 for what is likely to be a late third round pick next year. A lot of trade rules exist to protect clubs from themselves, in an ideal scenario the rules would be cut back and clubs would have free reign to stuff things up for themselves, but it is what it is.

I didn't have any issue with what the Swans did, but I think you will find similar deals wont be allowed next year in a similar structure.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Media speculated he could go as high as #3 or as low as #13. I think #8 was quite reasonable and the Crows thought he was well worth the pick... but I am confident that you didn't reply to me to talk about Thomas.

The first trade was Swans pick #26 for West Coast's future third round pick (37->54). In isolation, it would be challenging to suggest that that trade meets the AFL's equivalency guideline.

If after Swans picked up Blakey the Eagles said they changed their mind and didn't want to do the second trade, they would have ended up with pick 26 for what is likely to be a late third round pick next year. A lot of trade rules exist to protect clubs from themselves, in an ideal scenario the rules would be cut back and clubs would have free reign to stuff things up for themselves, but it is what it is.

I didn't have any issue with what the Swans did, but I think you will find similar deals wont be allowed next year in a similar structure.

So you want to come on here and fantasise about something that didn't happen that you wished would of happened? You could do that with ant trade whatsoever. You should keep those inane thoughts to your own board. The AFL ticked it off days before. They had plenty of time to say no if they wanted. I am happy for them to ban it as it would make it all the more enjoyable to me.

I am happy to talk about Tarryn Thomas (the fat medium forward you paid the equivalent of pick 8 for). Seeing as though you mentioned media speculated he could go as high as #3 at the draft. Perhaps you could link me to the phantom draft or power rankings where that is so? He has gone backwards since his underage year and needs to go to Jenny Craig.

Given nobody else did either, you have to wonder why...

Has to be a reason but he couldn’t have done more this year but again we don’t know how he interviewed, etc

So you want to come on here and fantasise about something that didn't happen that you wished would of happened?

Fantasy? I was talking about the first trade, in balance the trades were fine, however, each should have been required to meet the equivalence test in isolation.

For example, it has the potential to go horribly wrong in the future if a club didn't sign off on the second trade or if there was a father/son or academy bid which was matched and it consumed a pick that was part of the agreed subsequent trade.

There may not be any rule specific to trading during the draft, but I think it is an oversight and the AFL should have adopted the same rules and restrictions that apply during the trade period, because there have been historical incidents which has resulted in the AFL saying that they exist out of necessity.

You could do that with ant trade whatsoever. You should keep those inane thoughts to your own board. The AFL ticked it off days before. They had plenty of time to say no if they wanted. I am happy for them to ban it as it would make it all the more enjoyable to me.

In hindsight there wasn't any major drama from the Swans/Eagles trades but it has the potential to go horribly wrong and I would be very surprised if the AFL didn't change it for next year.

I am happy to talk about Tarryn Thomas (the fat medium forward you paid the equivalent of pick 8 for). Seeing as though you mentioned media speculated he could go as high as #3 at the draft. Perhaps you could link me to the phantom draft or power rankings where that is so? He has gone backwards since his underage year and needs to go to Jenny Craig.

Hey, no fat shaming! :p

He is 189cm and 73kg, he needs to put on about 10kg.

He is a NSW boy, don't be so hard on him. I am a bit bummed Blakey ended up choosing the Swans and think he is going to be a great player for you guys barring injuries. I honestly wish him all the best. I think it is entertaining having banter with opposition supporter but some people take things far too seriously.

Reminder that highlight videos are designed to make anyone look like a superstar. There will be a Towers highlight video somewhere that will make him look like an All-Australian.

Aww poor rookie listed players :p

Reminder that highlight videos are designed to make anyone look like a superstar. There will be a Towers highlight video somewhere that will make him look like an All-Australian.

Except when it comes to 16/17/18 year olds, all you can go on is the highlights. Because they will naturally get a lot wrong and not deliver on the field. That just comes with the territory of being a young amateur in a gruelling and demanding sport. The highlights are the things that tell you when someone has what it takes to make it at the elite level. Once at the elite level, getting those things wrong and not delivering on the field becomes less forgiveable. Towers was a 27/28 year old still with the same good-to-bad ratio as a lot of the teenagers that went in the draft. So it’s apples and oranges really.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Not always true though as for the most part most player highlights come from 2 or 3 games since players don't have all their games filmed. It isn't quite the same thing as a highlights package of a current AFL player who would have all their games filmed.

Not always true though as for the most part most player highlights come from 2 or 3 games since players don't have all their games filmed. It isn't quite the same thing as a highlights package of a current AFL player who would have all their games filmed.

If they play in any of the state leagues or the TAC Cup, every game from those leagues is filmed and Champion Data archives them. Amatuer and school footy are where you can't find footage easily.

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Here’s the Buckanarra assessment
https://outline.com/F8xGa8

And full credit to RWO site where I stole the link from.
Cheers Ticky! Nice little endorsement from him: Buckenara says: The Swans would have been smiling from ear to ear as pick after pick was taken and still no bid for Nick Blakey. How he lasted until pick No.10 has me stunned — I rate him as the third-best player in this draft such is his huge talent and upside. He’ll definitely play senior footy next year and could play Round 1 because he’s much more advanced than his fellow draftees because of his involvement in the Swans academy.

Back