Game Day 2018 AFL Draft - Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

When does the rookie draft start? Bell said that we will re-rookie Hughes and Nyhuis and will take a pick to the rookie draft.

When does the rookie draft start?
2018 NAB AFL Draft - Round 1
When: Thursday, November 22 7:00pm
Where: Marvel Stadium, Melbourne
TV: Fox Footy (Channel 504) 7:00pm
Streaming: AFL Live Official App 7:00pm
International: WatchAFL.com.au
Radio: SEN 1116, AFL Nation
Online: AFL.com.au Draft Tracker

2018 NAB AFL Draft - Round 2 onwards
When: Friday, November 23 12:00pm
TV: Fox Footy (Channel 504) 12:00pm
Streaming: AFL Live Official App 12:00pm
Radio: SEN 1116

2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft
When: Friday, November 23 6:00pm

Be a shame if Belly doesn't take Jason Carter after the kid has been talking up his alliance with us and putting wyndham on the map.

2018 NAB AFL Draft - Round 1
When: Thursday, November 22 7:00pm
TV: Fox Footy (Channel 504) 7:00pm
Streaming: AFL Live Official App 7:00pm
Radio: SEN 1116, AFL Nation

2018 NAB AFL Draft - Round 2 onwards
When: Friday, November 23 12:00pm
TV: Fox Footy (Channel 504) 12:00pm
Streaming: AFL Live Official App 12:00pm
Radio: SEN 1116

2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft
When: Friday, November 23 6:00pm

Thanks, couldnt find the it with all the "re-live the draft" etc. links on google now.

I really hope we grab O'Rielly. Be nice to have a father/son. Who was the last? Clem Michael

However I can see us grabbing a defender like Greaves, Watson or that Durak kid from Peel.

I really hope we grab O'Rielly. Be nice to have a father/son. Who was the last? Clem Michael

However I can see us grabbing a defender like Greaves, Watson or that Durak kid from Peel.
Brett Peake. Don't think we took Clem as a father/son

He's cat B now, we nominated him pre draft
OK, I don't profess to completely understand the draft system, I would hope for Steven O'reilly's case that we pick his son ,like someone else has said and I have previously ,he could be Mcgovern version two with proper training and dedication at our club.

Very happy to add Sturt, Valente and Carter.

As for the others ... meh. But that's what you get in the 50's. Would have preferred young WA players like English, or if looking older then take Pickett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Balmer's summary:

Sam Sturt was the big draft bolter and the Dockers plucked him with their first selection. The medium forward marks well overhead and can hit the scoreboard off his long-kicking left foot. South Australian captain Luke Valente managed to last until the Dockers’ second pick and they had no hesitation in taking the strong-bodied inside midfielder. Many club recruiters thought Brett Bewley would be the first mature-age prospect selected and when he got to Pick 59, he was too good to refuse. Bewley’s teammate Lachlan Schultz also joined the club.

Yep, overall I'm very pleased with the lads we have brought in. We have finally focussed on players who kick the footy well and they all have some standout qualities. No WA players though :(. However, if the WA talent pool is weak there's no point in banking on it. Hope we don't regret passing on Hill.
We get him in two years time , Homesick and all that:)

You cant really rubbish later round mature age picks these days, the ability with technology and scouting is easier with technology.
Alot of these guys are fairest and best for their clubs or runner up and even in their All-WAFL/VFL/SANFL team of the year etc.

And lets be honest, when people say mature age it makes them sound older than they are, Shultz is 20 and Bewley is 23. if they improve they have minimum 7 years in the AFL system.

Let them play before you judge a mature age pick.

Tom Stewart was picked at 40 and 24 years old
Ben Brown at 47 at 21 years old
Paul Puopolo was pick 66 and 23 years old plus many more

Theres also a whole bunch of rookie picks who are in their 20s who are very good players.
Yes. One of the things you do know about these "mature" age pickups is what their attitude is like. Its all great to be full of motivation when you are in a development squad at 17 dreaming of getting drafted.

But if you are still working hard when you are 20-ish getting (at best) part-time wages in a state league and when all your mates are getting on with their lives at uni or in their job or whatever, then you start to see who is really motivated.

I know, but you always run the risk of him not wanting to come home. Pickett went to Victoria and Coniglio is still there.
They didn't have two cousins playing for another club in their ear...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back