Analysis 2018 AFL Finals Series Discussion - Bulldogs Only

Remove this Banner Ad

blagodellago

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2015
Boulder, CO
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I never thought I would feel like this watching Collingwood make it to a prelim. As good as Treloar is in the contest, damn he butchers the ball... he's one of the hungriest players running around too.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which ones from those two years are still on our list? I'm making the point that whilst yes we have had a rather large amount of high picks they aren't carrying the side. I don't expect any of you to like us or want us to do well, that is completely up to you. Just correcting the false statement that we've been 'gifted' a good side through draft picks.
I think the false assumption that the Dees current list is built around first round draft picks and priority selections is due to the fact you did have so many of them over the past 10 years, but reality is you have nearly burnt as many as GWS in that time.

There are a few like Petracca, Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem and Oliver but if you'd nailed every high pick you've had since around 2008 the team would look completely different to what it does now.

Think its obviously getting the most out of later picks like Gawn, McDonald, Melksham and even Harmes that has you playing in a prelim.

Which ones from those two years are still on our list? I'm making the point that whilst yes we have had a rather large amount of high picks they aren't carrying the side. I don't expect any of you to like us or want us to do well, that is completely up to you. Just correcting the false statement that we've been 'gifted' a good side through draft picks.
That misses the point. Having so many high draft picks (through various devious means that have been dealt with elsewhere) means that even if you butcher a few of them you still have a strong side. That's not a luxury most other clubs can afford. GWS aside, of course.

Sentinel's point (and yours) is valid though. You have finally done well with some of the lower order picks and trades and that is critical to developing a strong side. Yes it's important to get your star quality players like Hogan, Lever, Viney, Oliver etc but you also need to bat deep if you're going to be competitive in September.

No one cares about them. They can quote all the increased membership figures they like, no one passionately cares about them.

Most of thee increase in membership can be attributed to Richmond fans using it as a backdoor insurance policy as a means of getting Grand Final tickets.

They like The Suns an artificial construct who will forever be propped up by the league and used as a farm by real football clubs.

Go to their board and see their thread dedicated to the retirement of Ryan Griffen for proof of their status as a non-entity and you'll note that most people posting are from this very board.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Most of thee increase in membership can be attributed to Richmond fans using it as a backdoor insurance policy as a means of getting Grand Final tickets.

They like The Suns an artificial construct who will forever be propped up by the league and used as a farm by real football clubs.

Go to their board and see their thread dedicated to the retirement of Ryan Griffen for proof of their status as a non-entity and you'll note that most people posting are from this very board.

I did see they had a 5/6 page match thread dedicated to the Semi Final over the weekend......

I did see they had a 5/6 page match thread dedicated to the Semi Final over the weekend......

Can you image how many pages of venting, teeth gnashing, s**t fights and epic melts that we as true fans would have had by now?

Actually you dont have to imagine it, you've been around here long enough to have experienced it for reals...

I have a theory that like their inflated membership numbers, most of their Bigfooty cohort are actually just fans of real clubs alt accounts as most of them seem to be here purely to troll because there is no way known anybody that knows anything about the game could be as dumb as there are.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can you image how many pages of venting, teeth gnashing, s**t fights and epic melts that we as true fans would have had by now?

Actually you dont have to imagine it, you've been around here long enough to have experienced it for reals...

I have a theory that like their inflated membership numbers, most of their Bigfooty cohort are actually just fans of real clubs alt accounts as most of them seem to be here purely to troll because there is no way known anybody that knows anything about the game could be as dumb as there are.

I am sure they are sports fans and the accounts are not from fans of other teams. Some are ex-power/Lions/swans fans but I would argue their most loved sports team isn't the Giants. NRL/NFL/Soccer are more their primary focus.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

We can get 6 pages on the correct spelling of Colons !!!

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
This year has to be the last year that Cameron gets a pass just for making finals; if they don't even make the prelim or get rolled easily then this run building Frankensteins monster with an unprecedented amount of first round picks will have been a colossal failure. Collingwood should have had it won in the first quarter but GWS were let in because of how wasteful the Magpies were going forward.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I hate Melbourne because of the tanking. Still irks me and I'll be right on the Eagles on Saturday.
I wonder if we are 100 percent squeaky clean in this area ?

Rhode era for example ?

Not saying we are, but we have been favoured by early picks over the years.

And if we had won an extra game at the end of 2004 we would have lost a pre draft concession pick.

Just don’t feel comfortable being high and mighty about this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown

Rhode era for example ?

And if we had won an extra game at the end of 2004 we would have lost a pre draft concession pick.

Rhode era was mixture of

a) injuries
b) a terrible coach
c) losing players due to trading or retirement that had been good contributors by the tail end of the 90's
d) absolutely dire trading

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

Rhode era for example ?

Sorry, but Melbourne's was blatant tanking. No sympathy and I'm happy to see the Eagles thump them.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Rhode era was mixture of

a) injuries
b) a terrible coach
c) losing players due to trading or retirement that had been good contributors by the tail end of the 90's
d) absolutely dire trading
Sure, but when it came down to the last few weeks of the season and they could have won extra games to go past the 5 game mark. ( If you won 5 games or less you got a extra first round pick)
Did they manipulate gameplay etc.

Furthermore to this I recall on this very board we have had people say that we should tank from time to time. 2012 for example when the Ward compo Pick was to be used.

I hope the same people bagging Melbourne now weren’t saying we should tank back then.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Sure, but when it came down to the last few weeks of the season and they could have won extra games to go past the 5 game mark. ( If you won 5 games or less you got a extra first round pick)
Did they manipulate gameplay etc.

Furthermore to this I recall on this very board we have had people say that we should tank from time to time. 2012 for example when the Ward compo Pick was to be used.

I hope the same people bagging Melbourne now weren’t saying we should tank back then.

Big difference between talking about it and doing it.

Melbourne did it.

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So whats worse ( both being a slight on the game)
Tanking
Drug cheating.
Acker spoke his mind.Or the truth.
Go Dees go all the way.Supporters of teams with little success deserve it.
Just like we did 2016

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
The tanking talk is irrelevant now as the whole Melbourne team is practically new from the board to the players. so they don't deserve the BS stigma left from previous teams. It like calling the current Eagles team coke heads.

I am on the Melbourne bandwagon, because when we won the flag I was so happy, but also there was a part of me that was so pissed off. My Dad and I watched games every week and shared the same emotions, born in 1952 and passed away in 2014. I was angry at the club for being a piece of s**t managed club for so many years and not at least giving my Dad a chance to see a flag. Which also means thousands of other fans have come and gone without seeing a Bulldogs flag.

No matter how much you hate a team, if its because that team has a few D-head supporters, EVERY team has D-head supporters, even us. But many teams also have more fans who are good natured, passionate and bleed their teams colors. NO team should go 50 years without a flag, its not fair on their fans. This is why I am against the AFL ever having more than 20 team. Stuff being like American where you have 30 odd teams in a sport, or Soccer where you have 100 all wishing to reach the pinnacle of the highest division. I mean imagine being an NFL fan and you have a ratio of one Championship win every 32 years for all the teams. Basically many fans will live and pass on without seeing a win.

For those good natured fans, I hope Melbourne break the drought, even if they become arrogant insufferable pricks like some Richmond fans have, just remember those types are in the minority.

The tanking talk is irrelevant now as the whole Melbourne team is practically new from the board to the players. so they don't deserve the BS stigma left from previous teams. It like calling the current Eagles team coke heads.
No it's not like calling the current Eagles coke heads.

Melbourne are benefiting right now from their shady practices about 5-10 years ago (I can't remember the exact years) and for being punished by the AFL with a mere slap over the knuckles with a lettuce leaf.

When this current generation of players drafted or traded-in with their ill-gotten gains has retired I'll be very happy to support them ahead of the Tigers, Cats, Eagles etc. That could be another 5-8 years yet.

Cheating is not OK and I don't want to see any club win a flag on the back of it. Even us, if it ever came to that.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
No it's not like calling the current Eagles coke heads.

Melbourne are benefiting right now from their shady practices about 5-10 years ago (I can't remember the exact years) and for being punished by the AFL with a mere slap over the knuckles with a lettuce leaf.

When this current generation of players drafted or traded-in with their ill-gotten gains has retired I'll be very happy to support them ahead of the Tigers, Cats, Eagles etc. That could be another 5-8 years yet.

Cheating is not OK and I don't want to see any club win a flag on the back of it. Even us, if it ever came to that.

How many players actually remain now from that "cheating" era? Just curious where the current "benefits" lie?

Either way my point still stands, 50 years is too long, others will be dead between now and the Grand Final, every fan deserves at least one flag in their lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back