News 2018 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to play Carlton and or Essendon at the MCG for a change.
In fact any night game at the G would be nice.
Been 14 years since we played Carlton at the G
Been 16 years since we played Essendon at the G
Our last night game at the G was back in 2010 ffs

I'm with you on this - it's a joke we haven't had a night game there for over 7 years when we are a Melbourne based club! Even St Kilda has had night games at the G recently.

Collingwood want Round 1 clash against Melbourne as Geelong eye Carlton at Cattery
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun

COLLINGWOOD has requested a Round 1 blockbuster against Melbourne in a move that would allow the Demons to retain hosting rights for the Queen’s Birthday match next year.

And the Herald Sun can reveal Geelong wants to take on Carlton at home next season for the first time in 21 years.

Geelong’s formal fixture submission to the league asked for a clash against the Blues in a prime Saturday timeslot in the early part of the season.

The last time the Blues played at the Cattery was Round 20, 1997 when Carlton legend Stephen Silvagni booted three goals and midfield great Craig Bradley racked up 29 possessions.

The Magpies considered reclaiming hosting rights for the Queens’s Birthday Monday blockbuster but will instead seek a Round 1 battle against Melbourne as part of a gate-sharing agreement, similar to the Anzac Day deal with Essendon.

The marquee season-opener would give Melbourne an immediate shot at redemption against Collingwood, after blowing its finals hopes in Saturday’s 16-point shock loss to the Pies.

The Melbourne match will kick-start a softer draw for the Pies in 2018 as Collingwood looks to break into the eight for the first time in five years under re-signed coach Nathan Buckley.

The Pies finished in the bottom six, meaning it will play fewer games against higher-ranked teams in 2018.

Importantly, the Queen’s Birthday peace plan will also ensure Melbourne continues to host Neale Daniher’s ‘Big Freeze at the G’ event on the June 11 public holiday next year.

The Demons have helped build the fundraiser into one of the most popular events on the football calendar, helping raise more than $15 million for motor neurone disease research.

Melbourne president Glen Bartlett told the Herald Sun a fortnight ago the Dees were open to a solution which would suit both clubs.

“We want to grow the game rather than fighting over Queen’s Birthday,” Bartlett said.

“I’m more interested in working with the AFL and locking in a second game (against Collingwood), like we have had past few years and growing the pie.”

Geelong will play Hawthorn in the Easter Monday blockbuster in Round 2 and wants to tackle Carlton at home, preferably between Rounds 4-8.

Geelong wants to draw more big Victorian clubs to Simonds Stadium and will continue to lobby the league for as many as 11 home games a year plus finals at their revamped boutique venue.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

The Cats will meet Richmond in a blockbuster qualifying final next Friday night at the MCG after the Tigers were controversially drawn to play at the Cattery in Round 21.

The match drew 32,266 fans, the highest crowd at Simonds Stadium since 1993.

The AFL admitted the Round 21 decision was based on the Tigers’ dismal 2015 on-field form, making Carlton a prime candidate to make the trip down the Princes Highway next year.

The past five Carlton – Geelong games have attracted an average 35,000 fans at Etihad Stadium and have broken the 50,000 mark only twice since 1997.

But that glorious night at the G in 2014!

IMG_1530.PNG

Some JLT fixture news

Looks like we are having a JLT game in Tassie against the Pies.

Kingston’s Twin Ovals to host North Melbourne v Collingwood pre-season match

KINGSTON’S Twin Ovals is set to become Tasmania’s latest AFL venue when North Melbourne hosts arguably Australia’s biggest football club Collingwood in a pre-season fixture in February.

It is believed the game will be played in the second week of the pre-season JLT Series, with Hawthorn and Melbourne to clash at Launceston’s University of Tasmania Stadium in week one.

An AFL spokesman would not confirm or deny the Roos-Pies fixture, only stating the full pre-season schedule would be released later this month.

With Blundstone Arena out of action with cricket commitments, the Twin Ovals will host its first AFL fixture since being opened in 2011.

The Twin Ovals, home of the TSL Tigers, hosted an A-League pre-season match between Melbourne Victory and the Western Sydney Wanderers in September, 2013, that attracted 5290 fans, but this Roos-Pies match would most likely easily surpass that figure.

Both clubs have close relationships with the state. The Kangaroos play three home matches in Hobart, have a partnership with the state for a joint AFLW licence and have a next-generation academy. The Magpies also have a partnership with Tasmania through its netball arm.

The playing surface and dimensions of the Twin Ovals are of AFL standard but the venue will require a lot of temporary infrastructure to host what is expected to be a bumper crowd.

While Collingwood is yet to play in Tasmania for premiership points, it is its second visit south for a pre-season game in recent years (having played Hawthorn in Launceston in 2015), and it will be the first time North Melbourne has hosted a pre-season fixture at its home away from home.

Collingwood has a deal with the Tasmanian Government worth $1.65 million over three years to boost netball in the state, with 2018 to be the second year of the partnership.

The Magpies netball team will play at least one game a year in Tasmania and a Tasmanian Magpies team has been developed for the second-tier Australian Netball League.

The netball courts next door at the Kingborough Sports Centre may also be used before or after the match to display the Magpies’ netball skills ahead of the second season of the Super Netball competition.

Melbourne’s JLT fixture against Hawthorn could be the first time new recruit Jake Lever is seen in Melbourne colours after the Adelaide star defender was traded to the Demons yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually the last Thurs of this month - so Thurs the 26th will be my guess. After trade week the AFL will leak some games and the 1st round.

What a joke it is that a competition waits for trades to be done so it can work in some extra manufactured rivalry games based on former and current player clubs.

What a joke it is that a competition waits for trades to be done so it can work in some extra manufactured rivalry games based on former and current player clubs.
The fixture would have been 95% completed after the Grand Final - they may move a game or 2 due to trades. But its not a bad idea to maximise interest.

The fixture would have been 95% completed after the Grand Final - they may move a game or 2 due to trades. But its not a bad idea to maximise interest.

Actually, I 100% disagree with you. It is a symptom of a pervasive issue with AFL fixturing IMO. Things like this and advertising club "requests" annoy the living sh*t out of me. It should be a transparent and as closely as possible equitable process.

Yeah not a bad idea. Except that we are never benefitting from it.

More likely we get shoved to another s**t time slot to accomodate a late trade, so they can manufacture some drama and extra coin for big clubs.

Accepting of it is part of the problem.

Actually, I 100% disagree with you. It is a symptom of a pervasive issue with AFL fixturing IMO. Things like this and advertising club "requests" annoy the living sh*t out of me. It should be a transparent and as closely as possible equitable process.
Won't change - especially after such an even year - I like the 6 - 6 - 6 model. Its a money making industry and the AFL take into account what the clubs want. Also having Ess V Dogs in prime time if Stringer gets to ess would be great viewing,

Yeah not a bad idea. Except that we are never benefitting from it.

More likely we get shoved to another s**t time slot to accomodate a late trade, so they can manufacture some drama and extra coin for big clubs.

Accepting of it is part of the problem.
We will get a s**t draw because we are a bottom 4 team. Our draw improves when we were playing good football.

We also get funding due the draw being un even. Hopefully we keep good Friday - that is the only game I would be disappointed to miss out on - would be our only Friday night game next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back