Game Day 2018 AFL Grand Final: West Coast Eagles vs Collingwood, MCG, Saturday 28/09/18 @ 2.30PM

And the winner of the 2018 Toyota AFL Grand Final is...

• West Coast Eagles by 6+ goals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast Eagles by 3-6 goals

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Too tough to call. Less than a goal in it.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Collingwood by 3-6 goals

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Collingwood by 6+ goals

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF is player of the finals all about?

they don’t give out a player of the home and away season award - that would be stupid.
Yeah they do, the Brownlow

Sidebottom has won the Gary Ayers Medal for player of the finals.

Fair effort given he was a late out before the game on Saturday

If he had have played well in the GF it would have been the best finals series by an outside mid since Long in 93.

I watched the channel 9 sunday footy show discussion about the game. I think Simpson has shown how to beat Collingwood. West Coast were good at intercepting the ball in defence, but were killed for pace there, when you consider the amount of goals Collingwood got by getting in behind them. West Coast were also very innefficient inside 50. However, West Coast killed Collingwood in the middle for most of the day. It is why despite the score board I felt that West Coast were always on top in general play.

How did they do it? Well, Collingwood has a great suite of hard nut midfielders but it is really the class, skill and productivity around the ground that Grundy and Sidebottom produce that makes their midfield function so well. They cut them both out.

Despite the grandstand finish if West Coast had have structured up behind the ball better early on Collingwood would not have gotten all those goals. If West Coast had have been a little more efficient forward then they would have scored a few in the first quarter. It probably would not have had that grandstand finish and West Coast could have ground out a fairly solid win. I believe we have more pace in our backline, than West Coast, and can reduce that exposure down back. If we're playing Daniher and Stewart up forward I can't be sure of being more efficient!!

I hope on ANZAC day next year we send someone like Guelfi to give Sidebottom a hard tag. I believe we could easily use Stewart to tag Grundy around the ground as well. If we do our usual round 1 March premiership performance and beat our biggest rivals in Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn first time then we can get the campaign off to a great start next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back