AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2018: West Coast v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be the preview, gameday, and autopsy thread. All in one.

Hope the Eagles thrash the Pies.

No idea how Collingwood ended up here and gee it would hurt to see them win another flag.

Collingwood 2018 premiers... no thanks.

giphy.gif

A real contrast in game styles here. It is the team that averages the most handballs-Magpies, versus the team that averages the least handballs-Eagles.
For the past two seasons the Saints have been playing a high handball game style. It will be interesting to see if the result of this game changes our game style for next season. FWIIW I believe we should be kicking the ball more, considering we have enough targets in our forward line

My brother and all my cousins barrack for the pies so I'll be happy to see them win for them. But i love my weagles SC mates Hai_Newman Here2tellyouwhy big bootaaaaah etc so will be rapt for them too.

Only sure thing is I'll be bananas by half time

Pies by 14

Kennedy 1st goal

Grundy norm smith

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have 2 rules, Never barrack for the pies. The other is barrack for an interstate side if we aren't in it so I don't hear all the happiness.
With you 100 % there plugger..

I also have two rules:

Rule No-1.....Never barrack for the Pies.

Rule No-2.....refer to Rule No-1.

2010 is still burnt into my Psyche…….big time.

Hope W/C win it(hurts even saying that) but if that's the case.....we'll hear about it for a few days and it will fade away......like it never happened...lol.

I was never convinced by Collingwood throughout the season, with minimal wins against top 8 sides. For West Coast, they were a lot more impressive but had a tendency to fall asleep for periods of time and cough up a match (or almost, as was the case against us). I feel as though the Collingwood vs West Coast prelim was more an issue of West Coast being unable to get going, moreso than Collingwood playing well, whereas Collingwood's victory against Richmond was decisively due to their tactics for the match and Cox playing out of his skin. Key points being Collingwood's quick ball movement, paying attention to Rance, and not bombing it long in the event that they couldn't stop him otherwise.

West Coast have the benefit of watching Collingwood's tactics regarding minimising Rance's impact, so will be able to employ countermeasures to protect McGovern & co., plus they decisively shut down Melbourne's attempts at quick ball movement, so I don't think Collingwood will have the same level of success with a similar plan against the Eagles. In addition, West Coast were able to do this whilst maintaining a good number of taller players in their forward and defensive 50s, whereas Richmond go in massively undersized, so have no marking presence to rely on. That is to say that even if Collingwood could tweak the tactics they used against Richmond, it wouldn't be as effective against West Coast's structures.

With Optus Stadium resembling the MCG more closely than Subiaco, the issue of gameplan applicability is not as big as it once was, and means West Coast's performance against Melbourne will be a more valuable indicator than if it was played at Subiaco. Travel will always be a factor, but given that West Coast had the week prior to the prelim off, I don't think the impact of travel on recovery will be as big as it would otherwise be.

Based on that, I'm fairly bullish on West Coast and expect them to win by a solid 4+ goals. Can't say that I'd be disappointed with that result.

Going to an old work mate's joint in Point Cook. Prick of a place to get in and out of, but he's putting a spit on, heaps of $1 and $2 bets on goal kickers etc so will be a good day.

Just put 10 x $10 first goal kicker/ norm smith dbls today. Got one in 2011 (varcoe / bartel) and turned $10 into $1200. Hoping for a similar result this year!

Collingwood will win this to keep the trend going of coming from nowhere or bottom six the previous year to premiers the next.
The Saints to follow suit in 2019. Anything is possible. At least the AFL have got something right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back