Unofficial Preview 2018 AFL National Draft - The Review

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a number of things that can be done differently other than just tank for an entire year in the hope of getting a pick 3 to improve the side.

Deliberately tanking for a whole season is the way that Melbourne, Carlton and others have done before - its the grass is always greener argument and it very rarely works (by itself).

Can you imagine if we tanked from the first game what impact that would have on culture, team dynamics, media views of us, sponsors, memberships.

Rather than just giving up in the hope of high draft picks the other things that can be done to promote elite on field performance are more aggressive approaches to trading and drafting; different coaching styles, culture, playing styles, different on field leadership. All these factors need to be tried before the 'nuclear option' of wholesale tanking from game 1 is tried.

We didn't tank for just one game last year when would have landed pick 1 and 18 - if we didn't do it then we aint doing it for a whole year next year.

I don't think we need to tank for a whole season to finish second or third last. Just this year we were 4-5 and getting close to the eight at the time. Only to end up winning the final game to avoid the spoon. It should be another even season.

Think about how happy everyone has been with our recent draft (whilst earlier complaining (myself included) about lack of picks). Imagine how happy everyone would be on draft night, less than a year from now having addded

1. Rankine or Walsh (or maybe Lukosious if youre that way inclined)

2. Pick 20

3. Thomas

4. Scott

5. Crocker

(Ok I might be a tad optimistic with the above, but it is a chance with a low finish and it sure as s**t isn't with a mid table finish).

Normally I wouldn't think we are capable of finishing towards the bottom but it is just so even. Whilst not a true gauge of course, just about every team is expected to improve next year to a large degree with the exception of us and GC.

I don't think we need to tank for a whole season to finish second or third last. Just this year we were 4-5 and getting close to the eight at the time. Only to end up winning the final game to avoid the spoon. It should be another even season.

Think about how happy everyone has been with our recent draft (whilst earlier complaining (myself included) about lack of picks). Imagine how happy everyone would be on draft night, less than a year from now having addded

1. Rankine or Walsh (or maybe Lukosious if youre that way inclined)

2. Pick 20

3. Thomas

4. Scott

5. Crocker

(Ok I might be a tad optimistic with the above, but it is a chance with a low finish and it sure as s**t isn't with a mid table finish).

Normally I wouldn't think we are capable of finishing towards the bottom but it is just so even. Whilst not a true gauge of course, just about every team is expected to improve next year to a large degree with the exception of us and GC.
I'm happy with all of that except bailey Scott, bloke could not be more vanilla, that's one we let slide to the academies imo

There will be better options available at the pick

I'm happy with all of that except bailey Scott, bloke could not be more vanilla, that's one we let slide to the academies imo

Well we will at least have the option. I kinda like the look of Scott on limited viewing.

I can see a team like west coast sliding down the ladder next year. If finals are out of the equation for the last third of the season that might find themselves looking to finish with a pick that can get them a local top talent in Hill. They play Brisbane at the Gabba in round 23.

Maybe a Hawthorn as well as they would be rewarded with a nice pick as opposed to this year. They play the lions at the Gabba, Carlton and freo in Perth over a 3 game stretch late in the year. Potentially looking to get max benefit out of a down year and strong draft.

Well we will at least have the option. I kinda like the look of Scott on limited viewing.

I can see a team like west coast sliding down the ladder next year. If finals are out of the equation for the last third of the season that might find themselves looking to finish with a pick that can get them a local top talent in Hill. They play Brisbane at the Gabba in round 23.

Maybe a Hawthorn as well as they would be rewarded with a nice pick as opposed to this year. They play the lions at the Gabba, Carlton and freo in Perth over a 3 game stretch late in the year. Potentially looking to get max benefit out of a down year and strong draft.
Yeah agree, these pricks always seem to have down years in really good drafts...

And how much have you seen of him exactly?

This is Knightmare's take and, like him or not, at the very least he watches a lot of youth footy.

'Utility who can win the ball through the midfield, provide a target up front and hit the scoreboard or provide drive off half-back.'

He includes him as one of his top 20 prospects for next year.

And how much have you seen of him exactly?

This is Knightmare's take and, like him or not, at the very least he watches a lot of youth footy.

'Utility who can win the ball through the midfield, provide a target up front and hit the scoreboard or provide drive off half-back.'

He includes him as one of his top 20 prospects for next year.
I watched one of his games on fox this year and he was excellent, in fact if you had to recruit one person after watching only that game most people would've picked Scott over Blakey.

I know Blakey is touted as being pretty special, but Scott looks pretty handy.

I watched one of his games on fox this year and he was excellent, in fact if you had to recruit one person after watching only that game most people would've picked Scott over Blakey.

I know Blakey is touted as being pretty special, but Scott looks pretty handy.

IMO we believe Scott is around 35-45 Nat draft

IMO we believe Scott is around 35-45 Nat draft

Utilise some clarity nn.

Some folks seem to think you have some kind of "insider" status, and you don't appear to shy away from that claim, so you confuse things when you state "IMO", then follow it up with "we".

If it's just your opinion, then leave out the "we".

Utilise some clarity nn.

Some folks seem to think you have some kind of "insider" status, and you don't appear to shy away from that claim, so you confuse things when you state "IMO", then follow it up with "we".

If it's just your opinion, then leave out the "we".
I think protecting a source by presenting information as one's own opinion is fair enough.

I think protecting a source by presenting information as one's own opinion is fair enough.

I think utilising the allusion of privileged access to embellish your own opinions only serves to downgrade the quality of discourse on the board.

I am not suggesting that this is nn's intention, but he needs to be careful that this is not how it is interpreted.

You only have to look at the overreaction to nn's recent Mountford quip.

Last edited:
2018 AFL DRAFT: THE WEST AUSTRALIANS

http://footyprophet.com/2018-afl-draft-the-west-australians/

It was supposedly meant to be a lean year for West Australian draft prospects in 2017, based upon their experience at the 2015 U16s Championships, where they were belted on average by 81 points in their three games.

However, after dominant performances at this year’s AFL U18 Championships (they finished second overall), 20 West Australians were picked up at the recent AFL National and Rookie Drafts.

And what is even more exciting is that the 2018 West Australian crop is already shaping up to be one of the best, from a WA perspective.

Below are the players who will most likely make a strong impression on recruiters’ minds for the 2018 AFL Draft.

JARROD CAMERON/ SWAN DISTRICTS / HALF FORWARD/182cm/70kg

The younger brother of Brisbane’s boom recruit Charlie, Jarrod Cameron has put forward a sensational bottom age season for both Swan Districts and the WA U18s State Academy. In 13 games for Swan Districts, he booted 16 goals and averaged 14 possessions, three marks and three tackles, as he rotated through the midfield and the forward line. His best games for the Swans came against Perth in round 1 (16 possessions, 8 tackles, and 3 marks), South Fremantle in round 17 (16 possessions, 5 tackles, 4 marks, 4 inside 50s and 2 goals) and Peel Thunder in round 19 (10 possessions, 4 tackles, 3 marks and 2 goals). For Western Australia he only played two games, but he showcased a football ability that is eerily similar to his brother’s – he has elite disposal efficiency and applies great pressure acts.

JASON CARTER / CLAREMONT / WING / 183cm /72kg

The Fremantle Dockers’ Academy member is a potential top 20 pick for next year’s draft, such is his ability and maturity. He first rose to prominence last year, when playing for the WA U16s State Academy, where he produced dominant outings against Vic Metro (17 possessions), and Vic Country (19 possessions) to earn All-Australian honours. But the most amazing moment he produced came against South Australia when he gathered the ball on the half-back line, before running the length of the field to kick a magical goal. In his debut for the Claremont Colts, against Perth in round 3, he showed glimpses of his class with 11 possessions, four inside 50s, three marks and two behinds, while the following week against East Perth he starred with 16 possessions and three marks. Were it not for the knee injury he suffered before this year’s Championships, Carter may even have stamped himself as a top 10 selection in next year’s Draft.

LUKE ENGLISH / PERTH / MIDFIELD / 179cm /78kg

A star in the making, English produced an outstanding season for the Demons that saw him claim the Jack Clarke Medal, the WAFL Colts Coaches Award, the Perth Colts’ Best & Fairest and selection in the WAFL Colts Team of the Year. He led the league in possessions (475) and ranked fourth for tackles (108), drawing comparisons to Adelaide star Matt Crouch. The 2015 WA State Schoolboys’ representative produced several best afield performances, including against West Perth (34 possessions, 8 tackles, 3 inside 50s and 3 goals), Subiaco (25 possessions, 4 inside 50s, 3 tackles and a goal), and Peel Thunder (17 possessions, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s and 3 goals), to be the first player since Jordan Eastwell in 2008 to poll 50+ votes in the Jack Clarke Medal. English has a bright future ahead of him.

IAN HILL/ PERTH / HALF FORWARD / 174cm / 63kg

The younger cousin of Fremantle’s Stephen and Brad, Ian Hill is firming as a top five selection in next year’s AFL Draft. In four games for the WA U18s State Academy, he booted three goals and averaged 15 possessions (seven contested), four marks, three tackles and three inside 50s, with his best game coming against Vic Country (25 possessions, seven marks, five inside 50s and three rebounding 50s). He only played four games for Perth in 2017, as he had to juggle football with his school commitments at Wesley College, but he produced starring performances including against Subiaco (26 possessions, seven marks, seven inside 50s and four tackles), and East Fremantle (22 possessions, six tackles, four marks and two inside 50s) to showcase his talent. Last year he won the WA U16s MVP, All-Australian and was inducted into the AFL Academy after brilliant performances against Vic Metro (20 possessions and three goals), and Vic Country (four goals). Like his older cousins, Hill boasts explosive speed and dazzling skills, making him one of the spectacular players to watch out for in next year’s Draft.

TOM JOYCE / EAST FREMANTLE / MIDFIELD /179cm /67kg

Despite standing only 179cm, Tom Joyce will be one of the hardest footballers in next year’s AFL Draft. At last year’s U16 National Championships, he produced outstanding performances, including against Vic Metro (19 possessions) and Vic Country (22 possessions) to win selection in the AFL Academy. He backed it up in 2017 with starring performances for West Australia against South Australia (21 possessions – 10 contested – four tackles, four clearances and three marks), Vic Metro (23 possessions – 13 contested – five marks, five tackles, two clearances, two inside 50s, and two rebounding 50s), and Vic Country (22 possessions – 10 contested – and five clearances). For WA at the 2017 AFL U18 Championships, he ranked second for contested possessions & inside 50s, third for total possessions and clearances, and fourth for tackles. He also demonstrated that he is a big game performer with a sensational finals series for the East Fremantle Colts , with dominant outings in the First Semi-Final against Claremont (23 possessions, six marks, five tackles and three inside 50s), and was close to best-on-ground in the Sharks’ premiership victory over the Tigers (24 possessions, six marks and three tackles).

DILLON O’REILLY/EAST FREMANTLE/KEY FORWARD/193cm/79kg

The son of former Cat, Blue & Docker Stephen O’Reilly, Dillon is clearly the best key position prospect from WA, for next year’s AFL Draft. As a key forward, he is powerful, commanding, skilful and athletic, and he can also play as a pinch-hitting ruckman. In 2017 he kicked 46 goals from 17 games to take out the WAFL Colts Leading Goalkicker Award, and win selection in the WAFL Colts Team of the Year as the centre half-forward. His best game came against Swan Districts in round 16 when he was best afield with seven goals from 13 possessions and seven marks, and he demonstrated that he is a big game performer with a dominant outing over Claremont in the 2nd Semi-Final with five goals from 10 possessions and four marks. He also made his League debut for East Fremantle in round 22 against Peel where he starred with 11 possessions, five marks, three tackles and a goal. With such performances, there will be high expectations for O’Reilly in 2018.

SYDNEY STACK/PERTH/HALF FORWARD/179cm/68kg

Stack is one of the most exciting players for next year’s Draft, and it is not hard to see why. In the forward line, Stack often produces moments of magic, whether it be flying for a contested mark, or weaving his way through traffic, or miraculously snapping through a goal. He first burst onto the scene with a strong carnival for WA’s U16s Academy last year, with brilliant performances against Vic Metro (17 possessions and a goal) and Vic Country (three goals), and backed it up again this year. In 11 games for Perth’s Colts team, he booted seven goals and averaged 18 possessions, five tackles and four marks, with his most notable performances coming against West Perth (20 possessions and two goals), South Fremantle (22 possessions and three goals) and Peel Thunder (21 possessions, nine inside 50s, seven tackles and four marks). While for Western Australia, he averaged 10 possessions (five contested), three marks, and three tackles, with his best games coming against Vic Metro (11 possessions – six contested – two clearances and two inside 50s) and the Allies (13 possessions – six contested – three tackles and three inside 50s). He has the arsenal to become a bonafide footballing star.

OTHER – “ELITE TALENT”
• Jarrad Fazioli/Peel Thunder/Small Forward
• Damon Greaves/East Perth/Half-Back
• Joseph Hinder/Swan Districts/Small Forward
• Jake Howes/Peel Thunder/Midfield
• Louis Miller/East Perth/Half-Back
• Luke Moore/South Fremantle/Forward
• Rylie Morgan/Claremont/Midfield
• Xavier Peacock/Subiaco/Ruck
• Regan Spooner/South Fremantle/Utility
• Durak Tucker/Peel Thunder/Half-Back

Defo want TT and another top 10 pick. If the to end talent is as spruiked three in the top 20 would set us up for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah a tough situation , not so much the source but more the player(s) so to post like I believe player x isn't any good sounds a bit better than..... Oh our club reckons Fred Nerk is crap and isn't reliable and we are only offering him one year because Leigh Tudor constantly shakes his head at his decision making. And if the club wants to improve we need better quality players.

Which we now believe we might have and Joe Fontania is in the same boat. And that Worey Cagner was always gone and not coming back- although I didn't post that.

I'm happy to stop posting bits I hear from direct conversations , not third hand bullshit. Doesn't impact my BF life one bit. I'd love to know whats going on at our club but that's just me.

yeah a tough situation , not so much the source but more the player(s) so to post like I believe player x isn't any good sounds a bit better than..... Oh our club reckons Fred Nerk is crap and isn't reliable and we are only offering him one year because Leigh Tudor constantly shakes his head at his decision making. And if the club wants to improve we need better quality players.

Which we now believe we might have and Joe Fontania is in the same boat. And that Worey Cagner was always gone and not coming back- although I didn't post that.

I'm happy to stop posting bits I hear from direct conversations , not third hand bullshit. Doesn't impact my BF life one bit. I'd love to know whats going on at our club but that's just me.
I like your opinions and hope you keep posting them.

I'm a bit taken aback at Fred Nerk's slow development though :(

Always keen to hear opinions that may or may not be your own. I guess people can sift through how they see fit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Your talent spitting is nothing short of pathetic- do u turn your back on the game and make up s**t.

Scott looks like a player - probably won a Brownlow after your comments.

I think utilising the allusion of privileged access to embellish your own opinions only serves to downgrade the quality of discourse on the board.

I am not suggesting that this is nn's intention, but he needs to be careful that this is not how it is interpreted.

You only have to look at the overreaction to nn's recent Mountford quip.
I've come to interpret nn's "In My Opinion" as "my source reckons". the posts seem to make the most sense that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back